A plane-spotter was arrested just 65ft from Birmingham Airport s runway after climbing an 8ft perimeter fence for a better view of the aircraft.
Aftab Ali scaled the fence, which was topped with razor wire, at the height of the holiday season earlier this month. He was arrested only 20 metres short of the runway, where planes were taking off and landing, and told police the fence was in his way and blocking his view. The 23-year-old, of Witton Road, Aston, appeared at Birmingham Magistrates Court to admit a charge under the Aviation Security Act of entering a security restricted area without authority.
He was fined 300, with 115 costs, after the court heard the offence did not carry a prison term. Ed Counsell, prosecuting, said police were alerted at 9.20am on August 12.
There are signs clearly stating it s a restricted area and the fence also indicates that, he said.
(Image: Birmingham Post and Mail)
He had injuries to his hands and legs from climbing the fence which had barbed wire on the top.
He was clearly drunk, and laughing, saying: I want to see the planes . After being taken to a police station, Ali told officers he had finished a nightshift and drunk two bottles of vodka.
He said he was lying on the grass mound next to the perimeter fence but decided the fence was spoiling his view so climbed over it but then fell over, Mr Counsell said.
Ash Mistry, defending, said Ali had drunk a lot of alcohol in a short space of time .
He then decided to go and watch the planes but, in his intoxicated state, decided to climb the permimeter fence, he said.
It was 8ft tall and had razor wire at the top and, consequently, he suffered cuts to his legs and hands. Magistrates told Ali that his actions could have had extremely serious consequences for passengers if planes had needed to be diverted. Asked after the hearing whether the alert had triggered a security upgrade at the airport s perimeter, a spokeswoman said the area was compliant with requirements set out by the Department for Transport .
She said: We can confirm that a man was apprehended in accordance with Birmingham Airport s security surveillance.
At no time was he close to any aeroplanes, passengers or infrastructure.
Newcastle United fans have been warned of matchday delays as stadium security has been stepped up in the wake of recent terror attacks.
The club have assured fans there is no evidence suggesting the stadium is a target but they have been working closely with the NUFC Fans Forum, police and Newcastle City Council2 over the summer to review security. The review comes after devastating terror attacks at the Manchester Arena and London Bridge in May as well as the more recent attack in Barcelona. Ahead of Saturday s match against West Ham United, supporters are reminded there will be road closures around St James Park and anyone without allocated parking is advised to use public transport.
Roads around the East Stand will be closed 90 minutes before kick-off and some parking areas will be suspended for safety reasons during this time
Strawberry Place will be closed from the start of the second half for 90 minutes. Meanwhile, supporters are asked not to bring bags to the stadium this Saturday and on matchdays throughout the 2017/18 season.
Searches will take place at stadium entry points and any supporters with bags are likely to face a delay in entering the stadium. Steve Storey, head of safety and security at Newcastle United, said: The safety of all supporters is of paramount importance to us and various measures have been introduced to improve security in and around the stadium.
Click to play Tap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel
Some of these measures will be highly visible for all to see, however some measures will be more discreet and details will not be disclosed.
Whilst the police are keen to emphasise that there is no intelligence to suggest that our stadium is a target for any terrorist activity,3 these measures are a reasonable and proportionate measure to take in light of recent attacks elsewhere.
We hope these steps provide reassurance to everyone coming to the match.
Here is some advice from the club on what you can do to help keep yourself and others safe:
- Arrive early, allowing more time for security checks
- Minimise what you carry, fewer bag searches will speed up entry to the ground
- Be vigilant at all times and if you see anything suspicious, tell a steward right away
- If you see anything that could pose an immediate threat to safety, call 999
- In an emergency, listen to the Public Address instructions and follow them
- If told to evacuate, do so immediately, do not wait around to film events on your mobile phone
- Move right away from the stadium as quickly as possible for your safety and to allow clear access for any emergency vehicles
- Once you are safe, follow the local police force on Twitter for updates.
Spanish officials are to boost security at crowded areas and sites popular with tourists following two attacks in the country. The attacks, both claimed by the Islamic State group, left 13 people dead in Barcelona and one woman dead in Cambrils. There are 53 people still in hospital, 13 of them in a critical condition, while another 78 people have been released after treatment.
Image: Thirteen people were killed in the Barcelona attack and dozens injured
Spain’s interior minister Juan Ignacio Zoido confirmed increased security for events that draw large crowds as well as at popular tourist sites. Spanish media also said that security at the border with France was being strengthened, while French police carried out extra border checks on people arriving from Spain. There will be extra security at Barcelona’s Camp Nou stadium today, with nearly 100,000 people expected for the team’s first game of the season against Real Betis. The game will include a minute of silence for the victims and Barcelona’s football team will wear black armbands and special shirts, bearing the Catalan words for “We are all Barcelona”.
:: Imam’s home raided as police hunt terror mastermind1 Catalan regional police are mounting road blocks in the northeast of Spain as officers search for at least one man suspected to have been involved in the Barcelona attack, who is still on the run.
Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, is a Moroccan national who was living in the Spanish town of Ripoll, where his flat is one of nine addresses raided by police on Saturday. He is not believed to be among those held or shot dead by police in the coastal resort of Cambrils, where the second attack took place. Earlier, Spain’s King Felipe and Queen Letizia visited the site of the attack at Las Ramblas, placing a wreath and two candles on the ground. They were accompanied by Catalan regional president Carles Puigdemont and Barcelona Mayor Ada Colau.
Image: The royals visited victims of the Barcelona attack in hospital
Earlier, the royal couple visited a hospital where many victims from Thursday’s attack were being treated, also speaking with medical staff. Catalan emergency services have said that seven of the 14 victims have been identified from both attacks, including four Spaniards, two Portuguese and an Italian, while family members or government officials have said a US man, a second Italian and a woman from Belgium were also killed. Spanish authorities have also said that the terror cell behind deadly twin attacks has been “dismantled”3. In a news conference, interior minister Mr Zoido said the cell comprised 12 young men, many of them Moroccan, and some teenagers.
“The cell has been completely dismantled,” he told reporters.
- ^ Imam’s home raided as police hunt terror mastermind (news.sky.com)
- ^ The victims of Spain’s terrorist attacks (news.sky.com)
- ^ terror cell behind deadly twin attacks has been “dismantled” (news.sky.com)