The security guard who became the first person to confront the Las Vegas gunman1 has spoken out about his ordeal. Jesus Campos, who works at the Mandalay Bay2 casino, was on duty the night Stephen Paddock killed 58 people at a country music festival by shooting from his hotel room. The 25-year-old had previously sparked concern3 after vanishing ahead of planned media events, but has broken his silence in an interview with TV host Ellen DeGeneres4.
Walking on set with the aid of a walking stick, Mr Campos explained how on the night of 1 October he had been told to check on a fire escape door on the 32nd floor of the hotel that had been left open. Realising someone had put metal brackets on the door and unable to fully open it, he called an engineer. As he went to leave, Mr Campos said he heard “rapid fire” as Paddock began shooting through his hotel room door.
NRA says nothing could have stopped Las Vegas massacre
At first I took cover, I felt a burning sensation, I went to go lift my pant leg up and I saw the blood .
That s when I called it in on my radio that shots had been fired, he said. He decided not to say he was hit in order to free up radio traffic to allow security to coordinate the response. As engineer Stephen Schuck came to fix the fire escape door, Mr Campos yelled for him to take cover just as the shooting begun again .
If he didn t say that, I would have got hit, Mr Schuck told DeGeneres. Mr Campos has also been credited with saving the life of a female guest, ordering her to get back inside as she wandered out of her hotel room. DeGeneres said this would be the only time Mr Campos would speak about the ordeal.
I just wanna mention all the people that assisted that night, whether it was Metro, the FBI, the community especially coming out together to help everyone in need, Mr Campos said.
Facebook s chief security officer warned that the fake news problem is more complicated and dangerous to solve than the public thinks. Alex Stamos, who s handling the company s investigation into Russia s use of the social media1 platform ahead of the 2016 US presidential election2, cautioned about hoping for technical solutions that he says could have unintended consequences of ideological bias. It s very difficult to spot fake news and propaganda using just computer programs, Mr Stamos said in a series of Twitter3 posts on Saturday.
Nobody of substance at the big companies thinks of algorithms as neutral, Mr Stamos wrote, adding that the media is simplifying the matter . Nobody is not aware of the risks.
The easy technical solutions would boil down to silencing topics that Facebook4 is aware are being spread by bots which should only be done if you don t worry about becoming the Ministry of Truth with machine learning systems trained on your personal biases, he said. Mr Stamos s comments shed light on why Facebook added 1,000 more people review its advertising, rather than attempting an automated solution. The company sent a note to advertisers telling them it would start to manually review ads targeted to people based on politics, religion, ethnicity or social issues . The company is trying to figure out how to monitor use of its system without censoring ideas, after the Russian government used fake accounts to spread political discord in the US ahead of the election.
A lot of people aren t thinking hard about the world they are asking Silicon Valley to build, Mr Stamos wrote .
When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers. Facebook has turned over more than 3,000 ads purchased by Russian entities to congressional investigators looking into Russian influence on the election . Twitter has said it gave the panels a roundup of advertisements by RT, formerly known as Russia Today, a TV network funded by the Russian government.
Officials from Facebook, Twitter and Alphabet s Google are set to testify to Congress on the matter on 1 November.
Officials in Rome1 are calling for heightened security after a German woman was reportedly bound and raped in a park overnight. The tourist was allegedly robbed and bound before being raped in the Villa Borghese park just north of the Italian capital s centre, CBS news reports2. In the same 24 hours, police in Catania said they arrested a man accused of raping a doctor to whom he had gone for medical help.
News of the overnight attacks comes following a spate of reported rapes around the country, prompting the capital s mayor, Virginia Raggi, to call the past month a black September for Italy . Ms Raggi called for increased police patrols and video surveillance in Rome. The mayor, who belongs to the anti-establishment 5 Star Movement, also called for special laws to be put in place, but did not elaborate further.
The attacks follow a case in Florence where two American students said they were sexually assaulted by two Carabinieri officers3 after the police offered them a ride home from a disco in their patrol car. Both police officers involved have been suspended as an investigation into the allegations continues. In August, a Polish tourist alleged she was gang raped and her partner was brutally beaten in an attack on a beach in Rimini4, a popular tourist destination.
Nicola Zingaretti, the president of the wider Lazio region, said on Tuesday: This further rape should not leave us speechless.
First of all, ensure justice, he wrote on Twitter .
Together, we raise our voices against violence against women.