Rwanda’s Paul Kagame, Senegal’s Macky Sall, Mali’s Ibrahima Boubacar Keita and the president of the Commission of African Union Moussa Faki Mahamat are urging Africa to be more proactive in shaping the continent’s peace and security framework
African leaders on Monday used a regional forum to underline the need for the continent to assure its own security after years of Western interventions, while also calling for international funding to support the anti-terror fight.. The annual Dakar International Forum on Peace and Security this year brings together the presidents of Mali, Rwanda and host Senegal along with military officials and experts to discuss Africa’s serious challenges in the sector. In an opening address, Senegal’s President Macky Sall said a “military response must be comprehensive, and one of solidarity, to leave terrorist groups no place to hide.
“The risk today is seeing terrorists defeated elsewhere seeking fallback zones in Africa,” Sall added.
The vast Sahel region, stretching from Senegal to Sudan, has turned into a hotbed of lawlessness since chaos engulfed Libya in 2011, Islamists overran northern Mali in 2012 and Boko Haram rose up in northern Nigeria. Beyond the Sahel, the Shabaab, a militant group aligned with Al-Qaeda, regularly carries out suicide bombings in its bid to overthrow Somalia’s internationally-backed government, while civil conflicts in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic and South Sudan blight the continent. Sall pointed to the Western intervention in Libya as an example of why African populations had to be involved in decisions on rooting out terror groups, as the north African nation’s instability has fuelled conflict elsewhere.
“We must beware of preconceived solutions formulated without Africans,” Sall said. “The consequences of these interventions, which we are living in the Sahel, are often worse than what they were supposed to rectify.”
– Sahal force funding –
The forum follows the recent launch of the G5 Sahel force, an anti-jihadist military initiative working across Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger to counter the significant threat Al-Qaeda-linked groups pose in the region and to stop the Islamic State group from gaining a foothold. The world’s newest joint international force, the five-nation G5 Sahel plans to number up to 5,000 military, police and civilian troops by March 2018. French Defence Minister Florence Parly described the G5 force as “a success”, though Moussa Faki Mahamat, head of the African Union Commission, said United Nations support was of “the greatest importance” for that initiative, and for another regional deployment in the Lake Chad region against Boko Haram.
France wanted the force to have full UN logistical and financial backing, but the United States argued against the idea, partly on cost grounds. The Dakar Forum is a French-backed initiative, and the European nation retains a heavy military presence across the Sahel. Mahamat, Sall and Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita all emphasised that the G5 Sahel force required significant funding from the international community, as current pledges stand at 108 million euros ($126 million) while up to 423 million euros may be required in the first year of its existence.
Paul Kagame, the Rwandan President who will chair the African Union from 2018, said African nations “have only ourselves to blame” if the international community alone decided on the continent’s security needs.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.
BBC Radio 1 s Big Weekend will see the likes of Little Mix, Katy Perry and Kings of Leon perform at Burton Constable Hall in Hull over the May Bank Holiday weekend. It is one of the first big music events of the summer where you could be a part of our team for this star-studded occasion on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th May. As one of the United Kingdom s leading providers of crowd management and event security services in the music festival world, we have many fantastic opportunities to work other major events nationwide; from Parklife in Manchester up to Belladrum in Inverness as well as multiple events in Leeds such as Leeds Triathlon, Leeds Skyride, Leeds 10k to name a few. If you are interested in being a part of what promises to be another memorable summer, then APPLY NOW to join the Showsec team. SIA Event Security The hours of work available are varied and flexible. You will form an essential part of the festival and event safety management team, controlling entry and maintaining good order whilst being aware of and ensuring the absolute care, comfort and well-being of a range of audiences.
We strive to achieve a high level of customer care, to ensure all customers receive a good experience and service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening a person s suitability to enter the event or venue
- Responding to incidents within crowds, queues or the audience to control behaviour which is antisocial, undesirable or likely to result in harm to others
- Providing a security presence to prevent and detect crime within a designated area
- Guarding a property and/or equipment in site during the setup and breaking down of, for example, an event or exhibition
- Patrolling the perimeter of an event to prevent unauthorised entry gained by individuals
If you are interested in working in an SIA Event Security role with Showsec, then find out more by taking a look at our video HERE
Please Note: You must be the holder of a current SIA Licence (Door Supervisor/Close Protection) for this role.
Continue reading here: SIA Event Security, Hull
What Is The Role of Vault Supervisor? As Vault Supervisor you will contribute to the delivery of agreed vault service levels in line with company standards and processes through effective planning and management of all Vault/STU resources in order that company revenues are maximized, vault colleagues and cash are safe and secure and any business risk is mitigated. What Will I Be Doing as a Vault Supervisor?
- Enable the delivery of all agreed service levels, maximize company revenues and control costs through effective planning, deployment and management of all available resources.
- Lead, direct and develop (in line with CTUK values) all Vault/STU staff so that they are fully capable and engaged in order that individual performance levels are maximized.
- Utilise and control depot and company security and risk processes in order to assess and mitigate risk to the business and its employees.
- Implement and co-ordinate vault processes in order to ensure the secure receipt, distribution and reconciliation of company cash and equipment.
- Proactively identify and recommend appropriate changes in Vault/STU area in order to make business improvements.
- Implement and co-ordinate the control of and adherence to company policy and procedures in order to ensure compliance to all H&S, legal, regulatory (SIA) and company requirements ensuring full reporting and completion of relevant documentation as required.
- Ensure the full and effective use of, and input to GTAS system in order to provide data to internal stakeholders so that effective business analysis and decisions can be made.
- Implement an appropriate response to all unplanned issues (occurring within the vault operation) in order to achieve a swift and effective resolution.
- Maintain effective working relationships with internal and external service providers in order to ensure an efficient service is delivered to the depot so that the depot can operate effectively.
What Would I Need to Succeed in the Vault Supervisor Role?
- Proven track record for managing a team
- Process driven with a working knowledge of ISO standards
- Previous experience of coaching, mentoring and/or developing a team/individuals
- Self-driven and results orientated
- Process driven
- Flexible approach to hours of work
- Eye for detail
- Analytical in nature
- Competent in MS Office applications
- Ability to think in structured and logical manner
What benefits do I Get In Return?
- 30,000 per annum, plus access to great benefits like Pension, Health Shield Cash Plan and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 22 days holiday, not including Bank Holidays, rising to 25 days after 5 years service
Who Are We?
We are Cardtronics UK. The cash machine people. Since our founding in 1999, we ve been trusted to provide reliable ATM solutions to businesses throughout the United Kingdom, Europe and North America. With more than 17,000 cash machines across the UK, we have gone from strength to strength and have grown into the industry leader and we re still growing! As we continue to grow our portfolio into new markets, you will be joining at an incredibly exciting time and the opportunities to progress are defined and achievable. You may not recognise our name but chances are you will have used our ATMs!! Apply now
Are you enthusiastic about this job? Send us your CV and a cover letter today by clicking on the Apply button below and we will get back to you as soon as possible! Additional Keywords: Vault, Supervisor Cash, SIA, Security.
Closing Date: 10 th January 2017.
Continue Reading: Vault Supervisor – Cardtronics UK Ltd