A top US security chief has warned that Islamic State militants are planning another huge terror attack on the same scale as 9/11. The acting Secretary of Homeland Security in the United States, Elaine Duke, warned that recent attacks involving knives and vehicles were to keep followers of the terror group engaged. But she said that US intelligence suggested extremists are planning an attack involving a big explosion to cause maximum casualties.
She also said it was clear terrorists want to hijack planes to target civilians, mirroring the devastating attack in the US in 2001.
Ms Duke warned of the threat at an event in London (AFP/Getty Images)
The MailOnline reported that Ms Duke, speaking at an event at the US Embassy in London, said: The terrorist organisations, be it ISIS or others, want to have the big explosion like they did on 9/11 . They want to take down aircraft, the intelligence is clear on that.
However, in the interim they need to keep their finances flowing and they need to keep their visibility high and they need to keep their members engaged, so they are using small plots and they are happy to have small plots. Referring to a series of recent atrocities in which terrorists have attacked people using knives or vehicles, she said: Creating terror is their goal and so a van attack, a bladed weapon attack, causes terror and continues to disrupt the world but does not mean they ve given up on a major aviation plot.
Her warning comes after MI5 director general, Andrew Parker, said the UK faced its biggest terror threat yet.
Terror threat: Islamic state (AP)
The chief of the normally secretive organisation gave a speech warning that it was taking less time for terrorists to plan attacks as they could exploit safe spaces online to evade detection. And Ms Duke said the internet was providing the means for more home-grown terrorists in the US through the use of propaganda.
She added that one of the biggest threats to the safety of aviation travel was the free movement of goods and people between countries.
What we believe is that because of the movement of goods and people, we have to raise the baseline worldwide, we can t only consider our borders, she said. She said US officials have strong measures in place to prevent another attack but added: Terrorists are strong, they are adaptable and the terrorist threat is the highest it has been since pre-9/11 .
We have got to have every tool that s possible.
Almost 3,000 people were killed in the 9/11 attack when planes were hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.
- ^ UK facing ‘worst terror threat in 34 years’ warns MI5 chief (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Lack of police helicopters could put lives at risk in terror attacks (www.standard.co.uk)
A former security guard who claims he was sacked from his local Tesco1 after being falsely accused of stealing has spent hours protesting on the store’s roof. Adama Jammeh, 46, from Reading, climbed onto the girders above the checkouts in the Tesco Extra on Thursday night. By 2pm on Friday, he had been up there for more than 20 hours.
The store was evacuated just after 6pm on Thursday after Mr Jammeh, a father-of-two was spotted climbing up to the celing rafters. He has been protesting outside the store for six months
He has been protesting just outside of the Reading West Tesco store since he was fired six months ago. According to the Reading Chronicle, the ex-watchman was the subject of a year-long investigation by Thames Valley Police after he was accused of stealing electronics by Tesco and contractor Total Security Services . Although he was cleared by police, Mr Jammeh said Tesco refused to apologise and reinstate him in his old role.
He has been seen carrying signs reading “Total Security Services LTD & Tesco lied about me” and demanding Tesco CEO Dave Lewis come to the store and explain why he has been fired.
In a Facebook live stream, Mr Jammeh said: “I’ve been protesting here for six months . The Tesco CEO needs to come here and explain to me why I lost my job.
“They told a tribunal they caught me stealing . But why were the police not called ? How come I wasn’t arrested ? There was no evidence.
“I’ve got kids . This affected my whole family.. .
My wife, my mum, my kids: everyone.”
A Tesco spokesman said: “We are aware of an incident at our Reading West Extra store and are assisting police with the matter.”
A TSS spokesman said: “We are aware of the incident involving a former employee of Total Security Services and are assisting police and Tesco in this matter.”
Thames Valley Police said the incident is ongoing.
This is the terrifying moment a gun gang ambushed security guards in a 100,000 bank raid. Three masked men pounced at a branch of Santander in Walkden in the early hours of the morning. Footage shows how a G4S vehicle was parked in an alley at the side of the bank.
A distinctive Mini Cooper car, with the robbers on board is seen arriving in the street, as an innocent woman pedestrian walks by. One of two guards then alights from the van and starts to walk towards the entrance of the bank. The Mini pulls up at speed next to bollards near the pavement and the guard hurries towards the door of the bank, but one of gang springs from the car and tailgates him into the building.
The robber is then quickly followed by two others.
The armed men can be seen chasing the security guard into the bank
Once inside the building at the Ellesmere Shopping Centre in Bolton Road, one of the gang pressed a pistol into the guard s back after forcing him to lie on the floor. Within 30 seconds the gang emerge from the bank and drive off. One line of inquiry is that the gang had inside information.
As well as a handgun the gang were also armed with a machete. Their red Mini was later found abandoned behind a row of shops in nearby Sportside Avenue. The raid took place at around 1.20am on September 7th .
Neither of the cash couriers were injured but were left shocked by the ordeal. In recent weeks, Salford has also suffered another similar bank raid.
The distinctive Mini Cooper car used as a getaway car leaving the scene
Twelve days later – on Tuesday last week – two men escaped with 30,000 in another early morning bank raid in Salford. A guard was attacked outside the Royal Bank of Scotland in Mather Way, Pendleton, at the city s shopping centre.
The pair struck at 7.10am on September 19th and were armed with a crow bar.
Commenting on the Walkden raid,Sergeant Natasha Evans of GMP s Salford borough, said: This was a horrifying attack, which has left the victims extremely shaken.
Thankfully no-one was injured, but that doesn t excuse the terrifying ordeal that the victims had to endure at the hands of these violent men.
I would urge anyone that was in the area at the time of the robbery that thinks they might have seen anything that could help our investigation to please get in touch.