A CROOKED security van driver is facing jail after his own father discovered he had secretly stolen cash collected from Co-op stores. Andrew Cave, 25, admitted pocketing up to 9,000 from branches he had collected money from. The thefts only came to light when his father discovered collection envelopes containing 3,625 cash in the boot of his son s car.
His company, Coventry-based Security Plus Ltd, and police were then called in and he was arrested. A judge at Warwick Crown Court warned Cave that custody is likely after he had pleaded guilty to the theft and the case was adjourned after the company claimed 11,860 had been taken. The former security guard, of Rectory Close, Exhall, was granted bail for evidence to be obtained on exactly how much he had stolen.
Prosecutor Ian Windridge said Cave had worked as a cash in transit driver for Coventry-based Security Plus Ltd since November 2015, and his job included collecting cash from stores. The last day he had worked for the company was May 27 . Six days later his father discovered two Security Plus packages containing 3,625 in cash in the boot of his son s car. When challenged, Cave admitted taking the money from his employers – who were then informed, along with police.
In interview, Cave admitted that he had collected cash from three Co-op stores in north Warwickshire and Hinckley. He should have scanned the packages of cash, which would have entered them onto the Security Plus system, but instead he had made an excuse to give staff handwritten receipts.
Cave admitted he then kept the cash, which he said came to between 8,000 to 9,000, but Security Plus put the figure at around 11,860. Judge Andrew Lockhart QC said: If it is provable by the company, it should be proved.
Plainly Mr Cave wants to know his fate, but his fate may be different under the guidelines if this material is available . It could make a real difference.
David Coyle, defending, said: He accepts whatever figure is established by evidence.
Mr Cave still has the sum of 2,700 in his bank account, and he wants to repay that to the company.
The difficulty is that the police have his bank card, and without that he can t make the transaction. The judge said Cave should be allowed to repay the money in his account before the next hearing . He warned the defendant: All options remain open .
I am making no promises at all .
Custody is likely.
Extra security measures have been put in place ahead of South Tyneside s seafront concerts in the wake of recent terror atrocities.
The South Tyneside Festival1 is in full swing, after South Shields FC2 kicked off the Summer Parade with an open-top bus celebration of their historic quadruple on Saturday. Busted and Louisa Johnson are among the leading names headlining at Bents Park on the Sunday afternoon concerts throughout the month of July. Visitors are being advised in advance of extra security measures being adopted in a move to give them extra reassurances.
Bag searches will be carried out on entry, and visitors are encouraged to limit the amount of bags they bring. Councillor Alan Kerr, deputy leader of South Tyneside Council3 with responsibility for culture and leisure, said: While we want visitors to enjoy themselves and have a wonderful experience at our summer events, we also want them to feel safe.
This is why we are putting some additional security measures in place.
However, we need the public to help us as we carry out this important work.
We know that people like to bring plenty of supplies and picnic items with them, particularly as they relax and enjoy the live music at our fabulous Sunday Concerts.
However, to speed up the entry process, we are appealing for visitors to keep the number of bags they bring to a minimum, and leave any sharp instruments at home.
We hope that these checks will give visitors extra reassurance that their safety remains a priority for us and we would like to thank people in advance for their patience and co-operation during this time. The additional security measures come following a comprehensive review of the events safety plans, carried out by South Tyneside Council in consultation with Northumbria Police in the wake of the Manchester and London terrorist attacks.
Additional staff will be in place to help visitors gain entry to the park as quickly as possible.
Extra police and security teams will begin patrolling Metrolink and the region s buses next week as part of a passenger safety drive. The move comes after KeolisAmey take over the tram network from 2am on Saturday morning after RATP Dev Ltd lost its bid to remain at the helm. And bosses have unveiled plans to introduce 900 extra hours of security support a week with 24 new TravelSafe Officers (TSOs).
TravelSafe, a security team across buses and trams, will be supported by 50 new PCSOs from Monday . They will join a new police sergeant and four new police constables. It follows months of concerning reports of anti-social behaviour on public transport – including the incident in May where a driver was treated in hospital after a brick was thrown through his windscreen from a bridge in Oldham. Chief Supt John O Hare, from Greater Manchester Police, said: The introduction of the TravelSafe PCSOs enhances our existing team, which includes an inspector, sergeant and police constables.
He said the team would be dedicated to ensuring the safety of passengers and dealing with any incidents on the networks. Aline Frantzen, new MD of KeolisAmey Metrolink said one of their key commitments was to enhance safety and security to improve passenger experience. She said: We are looking forward to working with TfGM, our partners and the community to implement our exciting plans for what is already a high-performing network . Our approach will be focused on collaboratively working to keep Greater Manchester moving and growing.
Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, said he was committed to making Greater Manchester s public transport the safest. He added: I promised to prioritise a greater staffing presence on our public transport in the evenings and early mornings and today we are delivering on that promise. The TravelSafe team uses intelligence and crime data to target patrols at key times and places.
Chief Supt John O’Hare
It s split into four units covering four geographical areas so they can get to grips with their communities. Transport bosses insist crime and anti-social behaviour is relatively rare on buses and trams, with 206m journeys made by bus and 37m by tram in 2016. Matt Kitchen, operations director for Stagecoach Manchester, said it was a great example of how operators, transport bosses and the police are working together to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour.
He said safety was their priority . First Manchester s boss Adrian Worsfold agreed, adding: As a result of the TravelSafe Partnership we have already seen the positive impact that the presence of security officers can bring to our services, as we work together to reduce anti-social behaviour. Coun Andrew Fender, chairman of the TfGM committee, added: These are exciting times for Metrolink and the city-region and I warmly welcome KAM as the Metrolink operator .
Together we will further realise the full potential and benefits of the unprecedented growth and investment we are overseeing in the network.