Controversial security firm ‘nothing but trouble’ at retail park…and we didn’t even want them here, says manager
A controversial security firm has been nothing but trouble at a North Wales retail park, where they were sent by the council without the permission of the landowner, says the manager. Alan Barker, one of the bosses at Llandudno s Mostyn Champneys, said there was no need for officers from Kingdom to visit the retail park as it has its own cleaners. But he said the St Helens-based firm was instructed by Conwy council to issue litter fines at Mostyn Champneys, despite no consent being given by the park s owners.
The Mostyn Champneys retail park in Llandudno
In an email to Llandudno resident Neil Jones, which was posted in the online group North Wales Against Kingdom Security by Mr Jones, Mr Barker said: We have had nothing but trouble with this particular company, who were instructed by the local authority to enter our property and land without our consent. Mr Barker, who is the manager of Mostyn Champneys and Broughton Shopping, told the Daily Post: We ve had quite a number of complaints from shoppers and our tenants about Kingdom Security being on Mostyn Champneys.
Apparently, Conwy county council instructed them to go there without consulting us.
Most of the shops on Mostyn Champneys are discount stores so our shoppers probably can t afford the 75 fine.
We ve exchanged a number of phone calls and emails with Conwy council, and we ve been told Kingdom have now stopped operating there.
There was no need for them to be there in the first place as we have our own cleaners on the site. Aberconwy AM Janet Finch-Saunders said: These reports are most alarming .
Conwy council need to take a close and urgent look at the guidance issued to Kingdom, and ensure they are only operating on permitted land.
British Land, who manage Mostyn Champneys, have confirmed to me previously that Kingdom Security do not have any remit to issue Fixed Penalty Notices on Mostyn Champneys retail park.
I trust the council will take forward the concerns raised by British Land and constituents here as appropriate, and I urge full transparency and openness from the council on this matter.
I would also urge the council to bring forward their promised public consultation on Public Spaces Protection Orders for which constituents have been waiting for five months. A Conwy council spokeswoman said: Littering and dog fouling is unacceptable at any location; it s not only anti-social but also illegal.
The council has a duty to help reduce such behaviour and to keep the county as free from litter as possible.
The offence of littering occurs, under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 Section 87, if a person throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place open to the air and leaves it.
Whether land is publicly or privately owned, permission to enter land to enforce the relevant legislation is not required.
We work with landowners to ensure the duties of both the council and landowners can be met.
If a landowner/occupier does not want enforcement on their land, we will consider the request after discussing their waste management plan to ensure that any litter dropped or waste generated on their land would be cleared and removed correctly to protect adjoining streets and public spaces that people are entitled to enjoy litter-free.
This has been requested at Mostyn Champneys. Kingdom works for more than 35 councils across the UK, including Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham.
The firm has drawn criticism for the tactics they are alleged to use to issue fines of up to 75 for littering.
A security guard who told a Muslim woman to remove her hijab at a McDonald s restaurant in London has been suspended. The employee told her to remove her headscarf and said it s just a matter of taking it off at a branch in Seven Sisters on Friday. The fast-food chain said on Monday that the man, who is employed by a third party, has been suspended pending an investigation into his behaviour.
The young Londoner filmed the security guard telling her to remove her hijab and posted the footage on social media . The clip also showed him blocking her from stepping towards the tills to order her food. She could be heard explaining that she wears her hijab for religious reasons after she rightly refuses to remove it. Eventually, another customer stepped in and told the employee he could not stop her from entering the restaurant.
A McDonald’s employee asked a Muslim women to remove her headscarf (@south_sab)
The Muslim woman told him: It s not just a matter of taking it off . I wear it for religious reasons and I m not ashamed of it . And I will stand in line and I will get the food that I want because this isn t OK.
I go to all the shops and any restaurant I want and in my hijab and I buy the food I want to buy and then I come here . And I literally live down this street from here.
This is actually like a hate crime, this is a hate crime.
The customer who stepped in to help then said: You can t stop her coming into here because she s wearing a headscarf. The woman replied: I m sorry I just want to know who is implementing this policy because this is f****** ridiculous. The footage ended with the Muslim woman leaving the restaurant and telling staff: I don t want anything anymore.
It was posted on Twitter by a woman named Sabrina, who said the footage was recorded by her friend. After the footage emerged online, McDonald s apologised. A McDonald s spokesman added today: We are deeply sorry that this happened, and are taking the matter very seriously, addressing the situation with both the restaurant and security firm involved.
As a business operating in diverse communities across the country, we want to make it absolutely clear that we welcome people of all faiths and do not have any policy which restricts or prevents anyone wearing a hijab, or any other religious attire, in our restaurants.
A top US security chief has warned that Islamic State militants are planning another huge terror attack on the same scale as 9/11. The acting Secretary of Homeland Security in the United States, Elaine Duke, warned that recent attacks involving knives and vehicles were to keep followers of the terror group engaged. But she said that US intelligence suggested extremists are planning an attack involving a big explosion to cause maximum casualties.
She also said it was clear terrorists want to hijack planes to target civilians, mirroring the devastating attack in the US in 2001.
Ms Duke warned of the threat at an event in London (AFP/Getty Images)
The MailOnline reported that Ms Duke, speaking at an event at the US Embassy in London, said: The terrorist organisations, be it ISIS or others, want to have the big explosion like they did on 9/11 . They want to take down aircraft, the intelligence is clear on that.
However, in the interim they need to keep their finances flowing and they need to keep their visibility high and they need to keep their members engaged, so they are using small plots and they are happy to have small plots. Referring to a series of recent atrocities in which terrorists have attacked people using knives or vehicles, she said: Creating terror is their goal and so a van attack, a bladed weapon attack, causes terror and continues to disrupt the world but does not mean they ve given up on a major aviation plot.
Her warning comes after MI5 director general, Andrew Parker, said the UK faced its biggest terror threat yet.
Terror threat: Islamic state (AP)
The chief of the normally secretive organisation gave a speech warning that it was taking less time for terrorists to plan attacks as they could exploit safe spaces online to evade detection. And Ms Duke said the internet was providing the means for more home-grown terrorists in the US through the use of propaganda.
She added that one of the biggest threats to the safety of aviation travel was the free movement of goods and people between countries.
What we believe is that because of the movement of goods and people, we have to raise the baseline worldwide, we can t only consider our borders, she said. She said US officials have strong measures in place to prevent another attack but added: Terrorists are strong, they are adaptable and the terrorist threat is the highest it has been since pre-9/11 .
We have got to have every tool that s possible.
Almost 3,000 people were killed in the 9/11 attack when planes were hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.
- ^ UK facing ‘worst terror threat in 34 years’ warns MI5 chief (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Lack of police helicopters could put lives at risk in terror attacks (www.standard.co.uk)