The security guard who became the first person to confront the Las Vegas gunman1 has spoken out about his ordeal. Jesus Campos, who works at the Mandalay Bay2 casino, was on duty the night Stephen Paddock killed 58 people at a country music festival by shooting from his hotel room. The 25-year-old had previously sparked concern3 after vanishing ahead of planned media events, but has broken his silence in an interview with TV host Ellen DeGeneres4.
Walking on set with the aid of a walking stick, Mr Campos explained how on the night of 1 October he had been told to check on a fire escape door on the 32nd floor of the hotel that had been left open. Realising someone had put metal brackets on the door and unable to fully open it, he called an engineer. As he went to leave, Mr Campos said he heard “rapid fire” as Paddock began shooting through his hotel room door.
NRA says nothing could have stopped Las Vegas massacre
At first I took cover, I felt a burning sensation, I went to go lift my pant leg up and I saw the blood .
That s when I called it in on my radio that shots had been fired, he said. He decided not to say he was hit in order to free up radio traffic to allow security to coordinate the response. As engineer Stephen Schuck came to fix the fire escape door, Mr Campos yelled for him to take cover just as the shooting begun again .
If he didn t say that, I would have got hit, Mr Schuck told DeGeneres. Mr Campos has also been credited with saving the life of a female guest, ordering her to get back inside as she wandered out of her hotel room. DeGeneres said this would be the only time Mr Campos would speak about the ordeal.
I just wanna mention all the people that assisted that night, whether it was Metro, the FBI, the community especially coming out together to help everyone in need, Mr Campos said.
Deemed to be one of the biggest robbery plots in British history, the pair who worked for cash handling company Loomis abused their positions in an attempt to make off in a security van loaded with 19 bags of cash, on March 14 this year.
Top stories from around Surrey
The pair were caught as the result of an investigation by the Metropolitan Police’s Flying Squad unit. CCTV recordings revealed shortly after the money was picked up at 8.30am, the van pulled over outside the security gates and Singh took a toilet break.
Former security guard Ranjeev Singh of Grampian Way, Slough both found guilty of conspiracy to steal (Image: Metropolitan Police)
However this was an unauthorised stop and against company protocols that deem any such stop to be called into the control centre so the van can be closely monitored. Siddique drove off on his own and, with the help of another man, unloaded the bags into a white transit van parked in West View, Feltham , where the security van was later found abandoned.
Former security guard Mohammad Siddique of Belgrave Road, Slough found guilty of conspiracy to steal (Image: Metropolitan Police)
A total of 19 bags of cash totalling 7m were missing from the vehicle. Siddique was found hours later, by a member of the public, his hands and ankles bound with cable ties and left on a service roads near the M40 in Buckinghamshire. Both men were arrested after Singh’s delay in alerting the control centre and Siddique’s inconsistent account of what happened.
When questioned by police as a victim, Siddique said he had been contacted weeks before by an unknown man who threatened to burn his house down.
Police reconstruction of how the 7m bags of Loomis cash would have looked (Image: Metropolitan Police)
However prosecution presented mobile phone data, from a cell found on Singh, which revealed it had been used to call Siddique during the time the cash was stolen. The phone analysis also revealed Rafaqat Hussain, 41, who previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal, had been in regular contact with Singh on the day of the theft. Flying Squad detectives established Hussain had called a recovery driver at 9.24am on the day of the theft and the white Ford transit van had been taken to a nearby recycling centre where it was scrapped.
Hussain s wife Razvana Zeib was arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit money laundering after investigations revealed 900,000 had been transferred to a Pakistani bank account opened in her name.
Cash was allegedly swapped between vans in West View, Feltham (Image: Google)
Zeib, Hussain and another defendant, Gary Carrod, had organised for a house they wanted to buy with their share of the proceeds to be ransacked and burgled in an attempt to bring down the price. Siddique of Belgrave Road, Slough and Singh, of Grampian Way, Slough were both found guilty of conspiracy to steal. Rafaqat Hussain of Chadwick Road, Slough pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal, conspiracy to burgle and conspiracy to commit money laundering at Kingston Crown Court on Monday September 11.
Hussain’s wife Razvana Zeib, 35, also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle and conspiracy to commit money laundering at Kingston Crown Court on the same day.
Rafaqat Hussain of Chadwick Road, Slough pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal, conspiracy to burgle and conspiracy to commit money laundering (Image: Metropolitan Police)
Gary Carrod, 34 of Nursery Road, Taplow, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle at Kingston Crown Court on Monday September 11. Detective Chief Inspector Mark Bedford, of the Met s Flying Squad, said: Although this was an organised theft involving months of planning, it would not have been possible without the calculating and devious actions of Singh and Siddique who abused their positions to subvert the secure processes put in place to prevent this type of offence.
The pair attempted to present themselves as victims of a robbery even going so far as arranging for Siddique to be tied up and left by a motorway to be found by innocent members of the public.
However, a swift and thorough investigation by the Flying Squad uncovered their lies, led to their accomplices being identified and ensured their successful conviction at court.
Razvana Zeib, 35, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle and conspiracy to commit money laundering (Image: Metropolitan Police)
Both men are now likely to receive substantial custodial sentences reflecting their calculated abuse of their employer’s trust and the value of the monies stolen. The money from Credit Suisse bank was bound for the Bank of Ireland.
Helen Shaw from the CPS added: “Ranjeev Singh, Mohammad Siddique and Rafaqat Hussain staged this theft to steal 7m which has still not been recovered, crafting a plan to make it appear that they were victims.
Gary Carrod, 34 of Nursery Road, Taplow, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to burgle (Image: Metropolitan Police)
Their elaborate plot quickly unravelled when inconsistencies in their story became apparent.
The prosecution used interrogation of mobile phone records and CCTV evidence to highlight the lies they told police, leading to today’s convictions.”
They will all be sentenced Wednesday October 18.
Keep up to date with the latest news from around the county via the free Get Surrey app.
You can set up your app to see all the latest news and events from your area, plus receive push notifications for breaking news.
SURGERY: Adam Brooks was attacked at NJAC in Birmingham
FOLLOWING NEWS that three men were stabbed during a church service last Sunday, people are asking if the church should be so ‘open’ and if they should provide security training to its frontline volunteers. Last Monday (September 11), a man entered New Jerusalem Apostolic Church (NJAC) in Aston, Birmingham, during its morning service and launched an unprovoked knife attack . Three members were injured in the incident Elder Karl George, Adam Brooks and Jorge George. Brooks, the son of NJAC founders Bishop Melvin and Pastor Yvonne Brooks, underwent surgery as a result of the attack . He subsequently recorded a video from his hospital bed following his operation, which was broadcast live to people that had gathered at the church on September 12 .
In it he encouraged people to level up , and do their best . At the time of writing, the video had been viewed more than 20,000 times on social media . Brooks is now recuperating at home. By their very nature, churches welcome anyone, whatever their background, so that they can attend worship services or benefit from church-run community projects. Most church volunteers who interact with the public, namely ushers and greeters, are usually untrained in security issues but perhaps it s time that this was addressed.
CRIME SCENE: NJAC in Birmingham saw a knifeman enter the building last week (image credit: Sky News)
Deaconess Madge Obaseki is co-director of growthechurchnow.com and a human resources specialist . She believes that now is a good time for churches to consider their security . She told The Voice:
Churches should get together their management committee or board of elders and trustees to formulate some form of strategy on how they can protect the public who visit their premises. She continued:
They would need to look at their frontline workers . They would need to look at their security in terms of their doorways, and preparing staff and would need some form of training in place so that staff know how to deal with people who are aggressive and show signs of mental illness.
She also said that it is imperative for churches to ensure they have employers liability insurance and public liability insurance, in order to protect volunteers, employees and the general public. Retired police officer Leroy Logan is a man with a lot of security experience . During his time at the Metropolitan Police, he was head of the Black Police Association and played a major role in managing security during the 2012 London Olympics . He currently runs his own security firm and says it is key for places of worship to undertake a risk assessment.
All churches, regardless of denomination, should carry out their own risk assessments, which should be part of the whole safeguarding issue for their fellowship and vulnerable people . If they can t do it themselves they can always tap into the local crime prevention officer.
They should be able to give a clear breakdown of the vulnerable areas in their premises and things to consider in the area.
He also advises churches to train volunteers so that they have a basic understanding of security. As head of the National Church Leaders Forum, Reverend Ade Omooba does not want churches to become over cautious because of what happened at NJAC.
We must continue to welcome people within our community with open arms but be mindful of the social pressures that they are under. As far as NJAC is concerned, it is business as usual .
They are not letting the incident stop them from serving others. In a statement they said:
There is a palpable resolve that this incident will not affect the community-focused work, the open arms and open doors policy the church has for the community and the family fellowship that exists in the church.
The Voice is celebrating its 35th birthday this year . Share your Voice memories, comments and birthday wishes on social media, using the following hash tag: #Voice35Years