A student was knocked to the ground by a single punch in this shocking video clip outside a pub. In the brief footage, the victim drops to the ground before his attacker – believed to be a security firm employee – is seen walking away from him. The student lands on the hard surface in the middle of a road and was taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment.
The short clip was filmed on Monday night outside The Hatfield bar on Ormeau Road, Belfast.
The student as he was struck in the face by his attacker (Image: Belfast Live WS) The student was rushed to hospital for treatment (Image: Belfast Live WS)
A spokesman said: Shortly after 11.40pm last night, police received a report of an assault outside licensed premises on the Ormeau Road in Belfast.
A teenage male was taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment.
“Enquiries are ongoing and anyone with information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact police on the non-emergency number 101 quoting reference 1665 of 25/9/17.
The incident took place outside the Hatfield bar on Ormeau Road, Belfast (Image: Google Streetview)
A spokesman for The Hatfield said: We are aware of an incident which took place on the Ormeau road last night between a member of public and an employee of an independent security firm.
“This individual in grey was not present in our premises at any time.
“We are unable to comment any further at this stage.
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – Myanmar s vice president told the United Nations on Wednesday that security forces in his country s Rakhine State, from which hundreds of thousands of people have recently fled, have been instructed to take full measures to avoid collateral damage and harming innocent civilians.
Violence in Rakhine State erupted on Aug .
25, when Rohingya militants launched deadly attacks on government outposts, provoking a fierce crackdown by the Myanmar military that has been greeted with widespread international condemnation, including at the annual U.N . General Assembly this week.
Addressing the assembly, Vice President Henry Van Thio said it was not only Rohingya Muslims who had fled, but members of other minority groups too . He said human rights violations would be dealt with in accordance with strict norms of justice.
At least 420,000 Rohingya Muslims have since fled into neighbouring Bangladesh to escape what a senior United Nations official has called a textbook example of ethnic cleansing .
On Wednesday, U.S .
Vice President Mike Pence accused the Myanmar military of responding to militant attacks with terrible savagery, burning villages, driving the Rohingya from their homes.
Pence called the crisis a threat to the world and said U.S . President Donald Trump wanted the U.N . Security Council to take strong and swift action to the violence.
Van Thio said his government was deeply concerned about the present situation in Rakhine and said:
The security forces have been instructed to adhere strictly to the Code of Conduct in carrying out security operations, to exercise all due restraint, and to take full measures to avoid collateral damage and the harming of innocent civilians.
He said the government s deepest sympathy goes to the families of all innocent civilians and members of the police and security forces who have lost their lives.
Van Thio said the government was concerned by reports that Muslims were continuing to cross into Bangladesh even though there had been no armed clashes since Sept .
5 and added: We would need to find out the reason for this exodus.
Van Thio said the government recognised the need to ensure humanitarian assistance was provided to all those in need without discrimination.
He said a committee had been established under the social welfare minister to implement recommendations of an advisory commission chaired by former U.N .
Secretary-General Kofi Annan and the government would establish an advisory board comprised of eminent persons from Myanmar and abroad.
Myanmar was also working hard to enhance relations with Bangladesh and would welcome a visit by its home minister to discuss cooperation on border security, Van Thio said.
Reporting by David Brunnstrom; Editing by Sandra Maler and James Dalgleish
Plymouth law courts have stepped up security amid fear of acid attacks. People bringing a drink into the city law courts will now have to to take a swig of the liquid in front of security guards to prove it is not acid, before they are allowed to take it in. The security clampdown is being enforced by the Ministry of Justice across the country to reduce the risk of judges, jurors or witnesses being attacked with the corrosive substance.
In Plymouth, courts have also banned any other liquid, such as aerosols and foundation, from being taken any further than the foyer.
Liquids were already banned from being taken inside the court rooms themselves for safety reasons, for example to prevent bottles being thrown and injuring somebody. But now people entering both Plymouth Magistrates Court and Plymouth Crown Court have to remove all liquids from their bags before going any further.
Stepping through a metal detector is protocol at Plymouth Crown Court
The security guards then check the rest of their belongings as usual, and keep the liquids in a safe place to be returned on departure. Stepping through a metal detector was already protocol, before the guards use a hand-held wand as a further security measure.
Plymouth courts implemented the new measure this month, although other cities across Britain already had the system in place. The Courts and Tribunals Service said the rules have been implemented to ensure courts are a safe place for people to come, and to make sure all courts have the same level of security. A Courts and Tribunals Service spokesperson said: “We take the safety and security of court users and staff extremely seriously, which is why we’re bringing in enhanced safety measure across the court estate.
“We keep our security procedures under constant review, and will always take action where appropriate.”
Acid attacks: Plymouth victim calls for longer jail terms
Andreas Christopheros pictured in hospital recovering from a acid attack
A former Plymouth University student who was left disfigured and on death’s door after a horrific acid attack at his home has called for longer jail sentences for attackers – and revealed the worst thing about his injuries. Andreas Christopheros, 32, said he could feel his face melting when he was attacked when he answered the door at his home in Truro, Cornwall, in a terrible case of mistaken identity. With his attacker facing release from jail in just five years, Mr Christopheros has spoken out in an interview with the Daily Mirror to call for longer sentences for anyone involved in acid attacks.
As a rise in the number of acid attacks continues across the country, numerous people, including Home Secretary Amber Rudd, have called for a review of such incidents, including relabeling acid and other corrosive substances as dangerous weapons. In the interview, which can be seen in the video above, Mr Christopheros said he believed attackers should be given minimum sentences of 20-plus years. He also raised concerns about how easy it was to purchase corrosive and dangerous substances in the UK.
Andreas was was left scarred for life after a man hurled acid in his face
Mr Christopheros said: “Given how readily available corrosive substances are in our daily lives anyone can get their hands on them.
“Not every person in the UK can get a gun . The majority of people can’t.
“For that reason, I strongly believe that the sentencing for anyone who carries out any form of acid attack, whether their intended victim is injured badly or not, anyone who carries out an acid attack should serve a life sentence with a minimum term of 20 plus years.”
The matter was made even more personal for Mr Christopheros after news that his attacker, David Phillips, could be back on the streets earlier than previously anticipated following an appeal last year. At the time of the trial in October 2015, Mr Phillips, who had carried out the horrific revenge attack on the wrong man, was jailed for life . But in April 2016, the Court of Appeal cut the sentence to 16 years and he will be eligible for parole after serving just eight for the attack in December 2014. Phillips had wrongly believed that a person he suspected of sexually assaulting a family member lived at Mr Christopheros’ address.
Phillips drove 300 miles from his home to Truro, knocked on the door and threw acid in the face of Mr Christopheros.
Pia Christopheros with her husband Andreas at their home
In the interview with the Mirror, Mr Christopheros explained the terrifying moment he was attacked saying: “There was a knock on the door, I went to open it as I would normally, expecting it to be yet another courier delivering yet another parcel prior to Christmas, and instantly received a beaker of sulphuric acid to the face.
“Without this guy checking who I was, without anything . The only thing he said to me was, ‘this is for you mate’.”
After the incident Mr Christopheros was rushed to hospital where he was put on “death watch” with doctors unsure whether he would be able to pull through due to the severity of his injuries. He has lost his eyelids three times as the scarring on his face contracts, making sleep a constant struggle.
He has undergone up to 12 surgeries and will need more, he said. He added: “My t-shirt disintegrated from top to bottom, it just rolled away into nothing . The pain was inexplicable. Mr Christopheros said: “Not having eyelids is probably the most torturous thing I’ve been through . You can’t hide from the light, you can’t shut your eyes .
Obviously sleeping is difficult . But also the risk of infection is a lot higher.”
“You can’t hide from the light . You can’t shut your eyes.”
The acid attack victim has called for tougher jail sentences
The government has been called on to launch action against acid attack following a rapid rise in cases. In June, two cousins were doused with acid through a car window as they were out celebrating a birthday, prompting Home Secretary Amber Rudd to review legislation. Crimes using corrosive substances in London jumped in 2016 to 431 from 261 in 2015, Metropolitan Police numbers show.
So far this year, there have been 282. The Home Office said it planned to set out guidance for prosecutors on classifying corrosive substances as dangerous weapons and to review sentencing guidelines. Sarah Newton, minister for crime, safeguarding and vulnerability, said: “Other key actions will include a review of the Poisons Act to assess whether it should cover more acids and harmful substances and further work with retailers to agree measures to restrict the sales of acids and other corrosive substances.”
Jaf Shah, executive director of London-based non-profit Acid Survivors Trust International, said the law contained a “loophole” whereby people possessing acid would not be charged but those carrying a gun or knife could.
He said: “There just aren’t appropriate levels of controls around acid .
If you are caught with acid, police have to prove intent, which is very difficult.”