With more than 2,000 police officers cut since 2010 and further cuts ahead police bosses believe having them standing by sealed off crime scenes for hours on end is a waste of resources. They are also looking to cut the amount of time constables spend guarding prisoners and suspects in hospital. Constables guard streets and locations where violent crime and murders have taken place to prevent contamination or removal of evidence, or prevent forensics teams being interrupted by passers-by.
Bosses say this is a job which could be done easily by cheaper security guards.
Warranted officer guarding scenes for hours on end is not always a sensible use of resource, when more appropriate, cost effective roles can carry out the task.
I want there to be as many warranted officers out pro-actively tackling crime in the West Midlands as possible.
Freeing up some warranted officers from scene guarding duties is one way of doing that.
The Police and Crime Commissioners Strategic Board was told by Chief Constable Dave Thompson that a pilot of private security guards would begin in February 2018. Mr Thompson said: Our officer numbers are set to drop by about 200 over the next few years . We are looking to make the best use of the officers we have.
He said that digital and mobile technology could improve the productivity of officers. And that already an upgrade to the medical care available at the force s custody blocks had reduced the need to send suspects under guard to hospital, again saving valuable police officer time. The Board was supportive of measures to free up officers for crime fighting duties.
Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli and McLaren have decided to cancel their planned Interlagos test due to safety concerns1 at the Brazilian Grand Prix venue. The two-day test, aimed at completing Pirelli’s evaluation work on its 2018 tyres, was scheduled to take place on Tuesday and Wednesday with McLaren drivers Stoffel Vandoorne and Lando Norris. But following a robbery attempt 2on Sunday targeting Pirelli staff, the tyre manufacturer announced on Monday that the test has been called off.
“Following a robbery attempt, neutralised by Pirelli security, on a Pirelli van at the Interlagos circuit last Sunday – after a weekend where similar episodes occurred with other teams – it has been decided to cancel the tyre test planned on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 on the Brazilian circuit with McLaren,” Pirelli said in a statement. “The decision, shared with McLaren, FIA and Formula 1, was made in the interest of the safety of the personnel, both McLaren’s and our own, who would have participated in the test.”
A McLaren statement added: “The safety of our people has always been our top priority, and, given recent events, we felt that it was an unnecessary risk to proceed.” Members of the Mercedes, Williams and Sauber teams were involved in another two separate attacks3 outside the circuit during the grand prix weekend. Although there were no injuries in the incidents, questions have been raised about security around Interlagos given organisers had promised additional police around the circuit following the first attack.
World champion Lewis Hamilton had been one of the most vocal drivers in expressing dismay at the situation. “The most frustrating thing is that I’ve been in Formula 1 for 10 years and every single year that has happened to somebody in the paddock, and it continues to happen,” he said. “It’s an issue I’m sure the government here are fighting, but I think maybe on this weekend, there are protocols that should be put in place to help, like for example when we go to Mexico, which weren’t there for these guys.
“It’s no good just the bosses having security and myself having security . People need to be looked after.” The cancellation of the test should mean Formula 3 European champion Norris is able to make it to the Macau Grand Prix on time.
Two robbers attacked a security guard then stole a cash box in a broad daylight robbery outside a Staffordshire supermarket. The attackers struck just before 10am on Monday morning outside Morrisons supermarket in Milestone Way, Burntwood. A G4S security guard was attacked by two men who then made off in a white Ford CMAX car.
The guard was not injured in the attack and the cash box was discovered close by on a traffic island and had been emptied of its contents.
Morrisons in Burntwood. (Image: Google Maps)
Police say the Ford CMAX, which was stolen over the weekend from the West Midlands area, was found abandoned in nearby Juniper Close. The offenders then made off on foot towards Hawthorne Crescent and are believed to have made their escape in a silver or grey vehicle driven by another suspect. Two men involved in the robbery are described as white, in their late 30s or early 40s and both were wearing dark clothing .
One of the men also wore a high-visibility vest.
A Ford CMAX siilar to the one reported stolen.
Detective Inspector Steve Chadwick said: This robbery appears to have been well planned and took place in broad daylight outside a busy supermarket.
Anyone who witnessed the robbery or has any information that could help with our investigation is asked to call 101 quoting incident number 200 of 6 November .
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.