CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuelan security forces took up positions outside the office of the country’s chief prosecutor on Saturday, a day after the government inaugurated a new legislative body that the prosecutor said was fraudulently elected.
Chief Prosecutor Luisa Ortega had asked a local court to halt the inauguration of the country’s new 545-member constituent assembly, citing allegations that the government fudged the results of the vote that created it.
The new legislative body has no checks on its powers.
It could re-write the constitution, re-arrange state institutions and allow socialist President Nicolas Maduro to rule by decree . Assembly members had said they would fire Ortega the first chance they got . It took less than 24 hours from the assembly’s inauguration for her offices to be cordoned off.
Ortega, in a tweet, asked the international community to denounce what she called “arbitrary action” of security forces blocking entrance to her offices.
Luis Almagro, head of the Organization of American States, said he was concerned that evidence against Maduro’s government was at risk of being compromised by the security forces surrounding Ortega’s office.
“Aggression against her is aggression against all of us,” Almagro tweeted, adding that the presence of the security forces “puts evidence of human rights violations and corruption on the part of the (Maduro) regime at risk.”
Venezuelan National Guard members stand guard in front of the Prosecutor’s office in Caracas, Venezuela August 5, 2017.Andres Martinez Casares
Since the opposition started a round of protests in April, Ortega has become the president’s main challenger from within the ruling socialist movement, accusing him of human rights abuses and of running roughshod over democracy.
The opposition, which won control of congress in 2015, boycotted Sunday’s vote, calling it a naked power grab by Maduro .
The boycott meant that all candidates for the new assembly were from Maduro’s coalition, giving him carte blanche to pass laws aimed at locking his policies into place.
The assembly was installed despite opposition street protests . More than 120 people have died in four months of sustained marches against Maduro . Critics say his policies have pushed Venezuela into an economic crisis marked by triple digit inflation and severe shortages of food and medicine.
Maduro says the U.S. “empire” is waging economic war on Venezuela and refuses to allow humanitarian aid to enter the country . He says the new assembly is the only way to unify Venezuela into a peaceful, prosperous socialist state.
Former Foreign Minister Delcy Rodriguez, a hard-line Maduro loyalist, was named president of the new assembly.
“There is no humanitarian crisis here . What we have is love . What we have is a crisis of the right-wing fascists,” said Rodriguez, in a fiery inaugural address in which she paid homage to late socialist leader Hugo Chavez, Maduro’s mentor and predecessor.
The assembly will function in the same downtown Caracas legislative complex as the existing opposition-run congress, which could potentially be dissolved . For now, the two bodies are set to hold sessions in parallel, separated by an ornate cobblestone courtyard.
Reporting by Hugh Bronstein, Corina Pons and Girish Gupta; Editing by Andrew Bolton and Steve Orlofsky
An offender has narrowly been spared a prison sentence after he was at large for about six months after committing an assault at Chesterfield Royal Hospital. Chesterfield magistrates court heard on Thursday, July 27, how Mark Anthony Singleton, 43, had struck a security guard at the hospital but never showed up for his court appearance on January 3 and he became a wanted man. Singleton, of Almond s Green, West Derby, Liverpool, told the court he had been caring for his stepfather who had suffered repeated strokes and had suffered brain damage and he wanted to help his mother and niece. He added: I was scared I would go to jail . I thought I would help my mum and niece until my step-dad got better because he nearly died and then I would hand myself in. The court heard how Singleton had originally assaulted a security guard at the hospital in June, 2016, after security guards tried to detain him following concerns an illegal substance had been passed to someone in the hospital. Prosecuting solicitor Ruth Snodin said the security guard had been assaulted and been struck to the side of the face and twice to the back of his head.
Following several hearings, Singleton pleaded guilty to assault and his case was adjourned in December for a probation report but he failed to return to court on January 3 for sentencing. The court heard how a warrant was issued for Singleton s arrest and he was at large until the latest hearing last Thursday. Singleton told the court there was a scuffle with the security guard but claimed he did not punch him. He added that he is ashamed of what happened but claimed he is in a better place now and is having treatment for a long-term heroin addiction. He said: I am in a better place and I am on a methadone prescription . I was scared to come to court but I knew this day would come. Magistrates sentenced Singleton to eight weeks of custody suspended for 12 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.
He was also fined 50 and ordered to pay 85 costs and 50 in compensation.
The Operations Manager will be charged with balancing the service delivery of our contractual requirements to our clients and be responsible for the effective management of Dardan employees deployed under the respective portfolios. They will also provide strategic support to the Head of Specialist Services. The company has a number of electronic reporting and management systems, therefore the Operations Manager must be able to interpret any reports, and plan accordingly.
The Operations Manager may be assigned one or more Contract Managers (CM), Contract Support Managers (CSM) or Supervisors. If assigned, you will manage those Staff; their responsibilities typically include the fulfilment of operational, ISO / British Standard and welfare responsibilities. Whilst the role will be significantly field based, you will be working out of a regional office or head office where a hot desk is available when required.
- Deliver outstanding client satisfaction and contractual obligations to the contracts in your respective portfolio.
- To support the Head of Function in Operational Delivery of the highest quality services, including the provision of specialist advice, supporting existing clients and exploring areas of development.
- To work with the Resourcing department to ensure the contracts are fully rostered, managing any exceptions as appropriate
- Achieve all targets and KPIs as directed; these KPIs will consist of financial, people and operational indicators.
- All Assignment Instructions / Operations Manuals to be reviewed and updated as required in the interest of continuous improvement.
- Provide line management responsibility for performance, disciplinary, grievance and welfare issues under the guidance of the Human Resources Team.
- Regular completion of client meetings and outcomes / actions as communicated / required
- Staff appraisal completion.
- Conduct team meetings where necessary to support the operational delivery of the service
- To support the recruitment, induction and vetting processes of new starters in partnership with The Human Resources Department and in line with the requirements of the respective clients.
- To manage the training requirements and provision, specific to contractual or authority obligation or regulation.
- To work with the Resource Department in the management of employees annual leave, ensuring personnel take frequent leave throughout the year while maintaining operational effectiveness and efficiency on all sites
- Ensure that all Health and Safety and Environmental procedures are followed.
- Do not undertake any activity which could breach the SIA regulations
- To complete any other reasonable task as instructed by your Senior Manager or Director.
- To support internal and external audit processes from Dardan Security representatives, Client Representatives, the SIA, or any other relevant body with a relevant interest and valid reason for inspection or compliance checks.
- To act with integrity and in the best interests of the company in a safe, compliant and ethical manner.
- Demonstrate effective line management / supervision of staff within a Specialist Security Environment
- A proven ability to manage people to meet varying demands across a number or areas or multiple sites
- An understanding of effective use of management information to monitor efficiency and continually improve practices
- An ability and willingness to work both strategically and tactically, ensuring operational delivery throughout
- Experience of managing budgets
- Excellent customer service and communication skills at all levels
- Strong presentation skills
- Computer literate and confident with the use of Microsoft Office programmes
- Demonstrate an awareness of security threats to specialist sectors such as Aviation and Transport, Health, Critical National Infrastructure, Pharmaceutical, COMAH sites or others, which remain relevant and up to date in the context of the current environment
- Full and clean driving licence
- Flexibility in regard to working hours and travel related to work
- Previous training in Aviation Security Management (Aviation Security Manager – ASM) Level 3 trained
- Current and valid SIA Licence
- Enhanced DBS checks in place
- Exposure to Project Griffin or other relevant Counter Terrorism Advice
Dardan security are ranked in the top 5% of all security providers in the UK. To join our expanding team please apply now.
Dardan Security are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to each applicant individually. If you have not heard from us within 10 working days unfortunately on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful. Dardan Security reserves the right to close the job prior to the published end date should a suitable applicant be found.
Read this article:
Operations Manager – Dardan Security