Security: Police presence at Glasgow Central has been increased. STV
There will be an increased police presence in Glasgow on Saturday ahead of the Scotland vs England World Cup qualifier. An increased police presence is expected at the game to support the large numbers of fans and armed police will also be on duty. Outer cordons will be in place around the stadium to ensure only ticket holders are in the area.
Bag and body searches will also be in place for those attending the game. The Scottish Football Association (SFA) has spoken with counterparts at the FA and Police Scotland and gates at the ground are expected to be open at 3pm to allow fans entry before the 5pm kick-off. A request has also been made to Uefa for a minute’s silence to be held before the start of the match in memory of the victims of the Manchester and London Bridge attacks. Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins of Police Scotland said: “Understandably, since the tragic events in London and Manchester, people are more aware of the current threat to the UK from terrorism. “There is no intelligence to suggest that Scotland or indeed this football match or any other event is a target but we have reviewed all forthcoming events to ensure our policing plans are robust.” Free buses are being laid on for fans from Glasgow city centre to the stadium before and after the match. Fans will be kept segregated on public transport with Scotland fans asked to use trains to Mount Florida station before and after the game. England supporters, meanwhile, will be asked to use King’s Park station. The SFA say supporters should expect to be searched at the outer cordons around the ground.
Additional bag searches will also be carried out at the turnstiles. A spokesman said: “Fans are reminded that the match is sold out and are therefore encouraged to arrive early to ensure that they are in their seats for kick-off.”
Download: The STV News app is Scotland’s favourite and is available for iPhone from the App store1 and for Android from Google Play2 . Download it today and continue to enjoy STV News wherever you are.
Want to receive the latest headlines straight to your inbox ?
Subscribe to our ‘Morning Briefing’ newsletter.
Thanks for subscribing to our ‘Morning Briefing’ newsletter.
Five security guards have been left red faced after a suspected shoplifters 1– who is believed to have raided Poundland – was able to break free from them. Footage of the security team being dragged along the road by the getaway van has now emerged following the incident on Wednesday. The crime which unfolded at around 1pm at Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre left two guards injured.
It is understood the crooks had been chased from discount shop Poundland2, inside the Maple Walk shopping centre, in Solihull. The horrifying footage shows stricken shoppers watching as security guards wrestle a man to the ground outside the centre. One eyewitness told the Birmingham Mail3: Security and a male were involved.
The security guards grapple with the suspect in plain view of a witness who films the incident (Photo: Birmingham Mail WS)
A van sped off, taking security with them and one hit the floor.
The footage, which lasts almost two minutes, begins as two security guards wrestle a man to the floor, next to a white transit van. It is thought one man had already got into the van. Around 30 seconds into the video4 , another three security guards run towards the scene.
But the man on the ground manages to escape the guards and climb into the van as it speeds away, with the door wide open. Two of the guards are still leaning into the passenger side as the van makes off and one is thrown to the ground. Police have confirmed two security guards suffered injuries in the incident.
They are continuing to investigate.
Two security guards have chased suspected shoplifters from Poundland.
Two men have got into a white transit van and driven off.
The security guards have been dragged along the road for a short distance while trying to detain the suspects and suffered minor injuries.
Enquiries are ongoing to try and locate the van.”
A former head of UK counter-terrorism once told me his job was a bit like playing the video game Space Invaders, in which the player has to zap aliens moving down the screen at ever-increasing speed. He said: “You’re busy dealing with the ones you can see in front of you, then lots more appear from nowhere.” A simple but vivid description of the scale of the threat posed to the UK public. The police and MI5 say they have 500 current joint terror investigations under way, involving around 3,000 suspects. On top of that there are another 20,000 suspects who have been investigated in the past but are no longer thought to be active, though they might still pose a risk. :: London Bridge attack: Body found in Thames1 :: The victims of the London terror attack2
You can’t arrest and prosecute them all, of course, nor can you put more than a handful under constant surveillance, but there is legislation through which they can be controlled if there is evidence to show a serious risk to the public.
None of the measures appear to have been applied to the five terrorists who carried out the three attacks on Westminster Bridge, the Manchester Arena and London Bridge, even though they were all, to varying degrees, on the radar of our security forces. In 2005, to replace emergency detention legislation introduced after the 9/11 attacks in the United States, the Labour government introduced control orders, a measure that was controversial from the start. Ten suspects released from detention in Belmarsh Prison were immediately put under the orders, which allowed restrictions on items they could possess and use, where they lived and travelled, whom they spoke to and, in some cases, involved electronic tagging.
Image: Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi
Critics described the orders as “prison without bars” and court challenges led to some being revoked. In 2012 the Tory government – with Theresa May as home secretary – replaced control orders with terrorism prevention and investigation measures (TPIMs). Some said they were simply the old orders under a different name, while others described them as control orders-lite. They were less restrictive and withdrew the power to force a suspect to live up to 200 miles from their home, though Mrs May reintroduced that measure in 2015. We don’t know why such legislation was not used against the killers before they struck and whether it could have prevented their attacks.
Police and MI5 are reviewing what they knew and did about Manchester Arena bomber, Salman Abedi, and the Prime Minister has said she expects a similar analysis of the London Bridge attackers. Let’s hope it’s done and is published in full. We know that Khuram Butt was under police and MI5 investigation, but his priority was later reduced.
Italian citizen Youssef Zaghba was flagged up to the UK by the Italians as a suspected jihadi, and Rachid Redouane appears to have used an immigration loophole to get into Britain after being refused asylum.
Whatever your politics – and whatever her record in slashing police numbers – no one will disagree with the Prime Minister’s words this week: “Enough is enough.”