Festival goers have been queuing in Hull city centre since 5am ahead of Radio 1’s Big Weekend. Hundreds have formed long queues in the city’s designated shuttle bus points at Hull Paragon and Walton Street . With the first shuttle buses leaving the station at 9am, there are queues of hundreds of people at Paragon alone as people have been eager to get to the site first.
Security has been ramped up at the festival2 in the wake of the horrific Manchester bombings earlier this week . Every person going today will be subject to body and bag searches at both the shuttle bus hubs and at the entrance to Burton Constable Hall, where Big Weekend is being held. Read more: LIVE updates as Radio 1 Big Weekend gets underway3
A large number of police officers have been spotted patrolling the site and checking over the Stagecoach buses being used to transport the festival-goers to and from the site.
Security checks at Big Weekend
At Paragon, more than a dozen security staff have also been drafted in to be on hand and conduct the additional body and bag searches.
The queues only got worse as the morning went on, though . While it took just 20 minutes to get through security earlier on in the day, by midday and into the start of the afternoon people were reporting waiting an hour to get on the bus to take them to the festival. Stephen Thomson, 18, and Paige Stephenson, 19, were the first in the queue when they arrived at 5am.
“I thought it would be packed so we got here early on,” said Stephen. “We’ve been excited about this ever since we’ve got tickets.”
Along with the two Hull locations, shuttle bus sites are also running from Normandy Barracks, in Leconfield, and Grove Hill, Beverley. Susan Hamilton and her grand-daughter Chloe, 14, have been queuing at Hull Paragon since 7am this morning. Mrs Hamilton said: “We were delighted when we got the tickets, it’s my first gig so I wanted to bring my grand daughter with me.
“We came early because we thought it would be busy because of security and we wanted to get there early . There is a great atmosphere, nobody is nervous or anything.”
The huge festival kicks off on Saturday at midday, with 50,000 expected to descend on Burton Constable Hall over the course of the weekend.
Travel is expected to be severely delayed in the region, with a number of road closures in place to accomodate for the music festival.
Nightly security guard patrols have been removed from Dundee city centre, The Courier understands. Guards have patrolled City Square and the surrounding area on 12 hour shifts for several years. Patrollers were asked to check in at points throughout the centre while attempting to curb anti social behaviour.
Now it s claimed the patrols have been dropped by Dundee City Council. Night shift cover on the council s Dundee House building has also been removed, it s said. Dundee City Council refused to elaborate on the reported changes, citing security reasons for the refusal.
However the administration notes changes to security arrangements at Dundee House and City Square in its annual budget report. The changes, the administration claims, will involve improved risk management and more effective use of technology (which) will enable increased efficiency in this area . But The Courier has been informed by an industry source that a long-standing security arrangement for guards to patrol both the city centre and Dundee House has been withdrawn.
In 2014, figures emerged showing the council spends around 40,000 every year on security guards for City Square. At the time, Councillor Will Dawson, city development convener, said: Costs of vandalism and graffiti have greatly reduced since security was introduced at City Square.
The presence of security helps to protect property, while offering reassurance for staff who work in the square. Earlier this month, figures were published showing the administration has spent 250,000 on maintaining CCTV cameras in Dundee over the last four years.
In the last financial year alone, the council paid 69,371.33 refurbishing some of its 87 cameras. The most recent update from the local authority shows there are currently five with minor faults which are not working. The peak expenditure came in 2013/14 when 74,046.12 was spent maintaining the cameras
Commenting on the figures, Daniel Nesbitt, research director of Big Brother Watch,said: Dundee City Council should be regularly reviewing its CCTV network and if the cameras aren t making a difference then they should be scaled back.
Two police officers and gunman are dead following a Paris shooting incident (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A gunman who killed a Paris police officer, and seriously wounded another two, before being shot dead was known to security services . It comes after the suspect opened fire on the police while they were stationed at the Champs-Elysees earlier tonight. It is understood the assailant stepped out of a car at a red light and opened fire with a Kalashnikov machine gun, also known as an AK-47.
One officer have been confirmed dead, with two wounded, as has their assailant. Police have confirmed they are now searching the attacker s home. The French Interior Ministry has said it is too early to say what the motive behind the attack was, but have said officers were deliberately attacked.
The counter-terror office has opened a preliminary investigation into the attack, but there has also been speculation that it could have been related to an armed robbery attempt. Paris police spokeswoman Johanna Primevert said that the attacker targeted police guarding the area near the Franklin Roosevelt subway station. A witness identified only as Ines told French television station BFM that she heard a shooting, saw a man s body on the ground and the area was quickly evacuated by police.
The attack comes three days before the first round of France s tense presidential election. A televised debate with all 11 presidential candidates was being broadcast when the attack took place. Security is high around the vote after France has been attacked in recent years.
Most recently, soldiers providing security at prominent locations were attacked in separate incidents one at the Louvre museum in February and one at Orly airport last month.