FOOTBALL supporters mingled with armed cops at Hampden as police threw up a ring of steel around the national stadium.
Glasgow was on high alert with increased security measures for yesterday s World Cup qualifier between Scotland and England. A police helicopter circled overhead as fans made their way to the game, while armed police were stationed outside the stadium. Police could also be spotted on the roof of Hampden keeping a watchful eye from vantage points.
Fans were searched at outer cordons surrounding the stadium to ensure only ticket holders were in the immediate area. Supporters had been urged to arrive early to allow time for additional bag checks. Security messages broadcast at train stations asking people to be vigilant of anything suspicious held greater significance following the terror attacks in London and Manchester.
Meanwhile, electronic boards warned passengers to expect extra security checks and an alcohol ban ahead of the clash, which ended in a 2-2 draw. British Transport Police Chief John McBride had said there would be a zero tolerance approach towards any anti-social or criminal behaviour. He said: Our policing operation will stretch the breadth of the nation and will involve a large number of officers.
Ahead of the Group F game, raging Scotland yobs took to Facebook to taunt England fans and issue vicious threats of violence but thankfully, there was no sign of trouble around the stadium before kick-off and fans welcomed the additional security. Scotland supporter James Bruce, 32, from Edinburgh said: Security is obviously heavier than you would expect, but given what s happened, it s understandable. England fan Terry Moore, 49, from Essex, said: There s a considerable police presence.
It s understandable . There s the usual football issues and the over and above security issues at the moment.
Meanwhile, Londoners last night demonstrated their resilience, unity and defiance one week on from the London Bridge terror attack by enjoying their Saturday night in the capital. Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said one of the greatest things about the capital is how we pull together in the face of adversity . The mayor said: London is open . Our resilience, unity and defiance of those evil individuals who seek to harm us and destroy our way of life will never change.
As we mark one week on from the appalling attack, we are coming together to raise money for the victims and their families.
I urge all Londoners to do what they can to support this appeal and show the world that we are city that will never be divided or cowed by terrorism.
His comments came as a police officer gave a grim and disturbing account of arriving at the bridge. Inspector Jim Cole, one of the first officers to respond to Borough Market, said: From updates on the radio, we were aware that people had got out the van and were attacking people in the market.
But we didn t know if they were armed, how many there were, or what the situation was. He and his team managed to get around 200 people to the safety of a pub cellar.
People coming running out of the market were in a state of panic lots of screaming, Mr Cole said.
So I literally just grabbed hold of as many as we could and directed them into the basement of the bar .
I felt that was as reasonably safe a place as we had at that moment, rather than roaming the streets. He said he could hear his colleagues over the radio in quite a state of distress as they desperately called for ambulances.
On the radio, I could hear officers up at London Bridge and outside the Mudlark who were doing CPR and they were calling for ambulances urgently, he said.
I would describe it as pandemonium, really. The married father-of-three said the incident was the worst he has seen in 18 years as a policeman.
I ve dealt with things over the years, but it was the sheer scale of it all, he added .
I think I just went into autopilot. It has emerged the murderers tried to hire a 7.7 ton truck to enhance their killing spree but ringleader Khuram Butt s payment was declined. Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, also armed themselves with pink ceramic 6 supermarket bought knives.
The Champions Trophy will continue under significantly enhanced security following the terror attack which killed at least seven people and injured many more in central London. The International Cricket Council released a statement on Sunday morning in which it confirmed security is very much front and centre of our preparations as the global tournament continues over the next two weeks. The measures which were put in place after last week s attack in Manchester therefore remain in place, including enhanced security at Sunday s high-profile match between India and Pakistan at Edgbaston.
A minute s silence took place before that fixture, in memory of those who lost their lives or were injured on Saturday night, and shortly afterwards the ICC began its statement by remembering the victims.
Our thoughts are with everyone affected by what has happened in London overnight, it read.
The ICC and ECB England and Wales Cricket Board continue to place safety and security at the ICC Champions Trophy and ICC Women s World Cup this summer as the highest priority. Swift measures were immediately taken to ensure the safety of competing teams around the country. The statement added: Following last night s incident all team hotels went into lockdown and teams, match officials and staff were all quickly accounted for.
The enhanced security around venues implemented following the Manchester attack remains in place, and this includes significantly enhanced police and security presence for today s match.
The next teams in action will be Australia and Bangladesh at The Oval on Monday, and they were both set to practise on Sunday at the venue which is in close proximity to the attacks at London Bridge and Borough Market. The ICC added: We operate on advice from our tournament security directorate in conjunction with the ECB and relevant police and security authorities to ensure that we can deliver a safe and secure event.
We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels.
The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations, and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe.
We do not disclose our security details as a matter of policy. Hosts England were travelling to Cardiff on Sunday morning, and will train there later in preparation for their second match of the tournament against New Zealand on Tuesday.
New Zealand are also on their way to Wales, and a team spokesman said: We have taken advice from the ICC and the assistance they have put in place from a security point of view and we will continue to do that. Australia have described themselves as comfortable with the security provided although they will continue to monitor the situation . Steve Smith s team travelled from Birmingham to London after their opening match finished in a rainy no-result against New Zealand two days ago.
A Cricket Australia spokesman said: As with the rest of the world, the Australian team is shocked and saddened at the events that have occurred in London overnight and our thoughts are with those directly involved and their loved ones.
The team, support staff and travelling contingent have been accounted for .
Our security team is working closely with the ICC and LOC to ensure the safety and security of our players and support staff is paramount.
At this stage we are comfortable with the level of security being provided to us and will continue to monitor the situation.
Two major events in Manchester will take place on Sunday despite the London attack, police have said
Additional security measures including searches will be in place with people urged not to bring bags if they can. The One Love benefit concert for the victims of last month’s Manchester bombing will take place at Old Trafford cricket ground on Sunday. Ariana Grande, whose concert at Manchester Arena was targeted, will feature alongside Coldplay, Take That and Katy Perry.
Meanwhile, Old Trafford football ground will host a testimonial match for United and England veteran Michael Carrick. Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan from Greater Manchester Police said: We re deeply saddened to hear about last night s horrific attacks in London and our thoughts are with everyone affected, including the emergency services responding to the incident. There are two large-scale events taking place in Greater Manchester today (Sunday) and we would like to assure people that these will still take place, but with additional security in place to ensure the safety of everyone.
We have dedicated resources at both events, with a significant number of officers from both GMP and colleagues from other forces, some of which will be armed. There will be additional security checks taking place and everyone will be searched, including bags . We would ask people not to bring bags if they can, as this will help speed up entry.
I d like to remind people that the threat level remains at severe, which means an attack is highly likely. Please remain vigilant at all times and report anything suspicious that causes you concern to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or 999 in an emergency. Related articles: