The Cleveland Cavaliers2 will have increased security for Monday night’s Game 2 matchup against the Indiana Pacers3 with the “Facebook killer” still at large, according to Kevin Johnson4 of USA Today.
“People probably won’t notice anything different, but for every one uniformed officer there will probably be three (plainclothes officers) roaming through the crowd to look for anything unusual,” said Stephen Loomis, the president of the Cleveland police union.
“We have all the usual security plans in place for the Cavs game and above that,” Cleveland police chief Calvin Williams added. “Everybody will be safe coming to the Cavs game.”
Steve Stephens, the alleged Facebook killer, is the subject of a national manhunt after he uploaded a video to Facebook that showed Robert Godwin Sr . being shot in the head and killed in Cleveland on Sunday afternoon, according to Emily Shapiro5 of ABC News.
Stephens claimed to have committed additional murders, according to police, though no other victims have been found . He is being pursued on the charge of aggravated murder.
The Cavaliers and Pacers are set to play at Quicken Loans Arena on Monday night at 7 p.m .
ET in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference first-round playoff series .
The Cavaliers won Game 1, 109-108.
In the context of heightened terror threat in the last few weeks and football coming directly in the firing line when the Borussia Dortmund team bus was attacked six days ago, fans can have few complaints with greater security outside stadiums to ensure their protection.
Manchester City were recently criticised after increased security measures at the Etihad Stadium have left fans queuing outside on numerous occasions, but the price to pay for safety can never be too much.
And it is because of that video footage of a security guard conducting what can only be described as less than thorough searches on people outside White Hart Lane before Tottenham’s Premier League clash with Bournemouth has gone viral.
In the video posted online by Twitter user Colin Rowland that has been retweeted by 8,800 others at the time of writing, a guard is seen barely even making contact with numerous fans as he conducts a very brief version of the usual pat down procedure.
That’s not to suggest there should be rigorous and invasive frisking of every supporter who enters every football stadium, but it would have incredibly easy for any one of those people to conceal a dangerous item and smuggle it into the stadium.
In a world where literally anyone could be a terrorist wishing to inflict damage and hurt on their fellow humans, it would be comforting to know that security and safety is being taken as seriously as possible.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican-led Senate, taking little time to fill two critical national security posts, overwhelmingly confirmed a pair of retired Marine generals tapped by President Donald Trump to run the Pentagon and secure America’s borders.
A little more than an hour later, Vice President Mike Pence administered the oath of office to James Mattis to be defense secretary and John Kelly to lead the Department of Homeland Security . Mattis had been confirmed by a 98-1 vote and Kelly 88-11.
Earlier in the day, during a luncheon following his inauguration, Trump said Mattis and Kelly were from “central casting,” referring to their reputations as tough-talking, no-nonsense commanders.
“If I’m doing a movie, I’d pick you, Gen . Mattis,” Trump said.
But Democrats succeeded in stalling until Monday action by the full Senate on Trump’s pick for CIA director, Rep . Mike Pompeo, R-Kan .
Sens . Ron Wyden of Oregon, Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Patrick Leahy of Vermont objected to what they said was a “rushed confirmation” and demanded more time for Pompeo’s nomination to be “vetted, questioned and debated.”
Republicans scolded Democrats for an unnecessary delay, noting that the move left the spy agency leaderless over the weekend . Being lectured on the speed of nomination approvals didn’t sit well with Democrats, who reminded GOP lawmakers that they flatly refused to consider President Barack Obama’s Supreme Court nominee for 11 months.
In a statement issued by the White House, Trump said he was pleased with the Senate’s confirmation votes and made clear he wanted more.
“I call on members of the Senate to fulfill their constitutional obligation and swiftly confirm the remainder of my highly qualified cabinet nominees, so that we can get to work on behalf of the American people without further delay,” he said.
Congress had to pave the way for Mattis to serve . Lawmakers last week passed legislation that Trump signed shortly after being sworn in that granted Mattis a one-time exception from the law that bars former U.S . service members who have been out of uniform for less than seven years from holding the top Pentagon job . The restriction is meant to preserve civilian control of the military . Mattis retired from the Marine Corps in 2013.
Congress last allowed an exception to the law in 1950 for George Marshall, a former five-star Army general and secretary of state . Mattis replaces Ash Carter, who had been President Barack Obama’s defense secretary since February 2015.
GOP lawmakers pushed for a speedy and smooth transition at the Pentagon to ensure Mattis would be fully in charge should a national security crisis erupt in the hours and days after Trump’s inauguration . During his Jan .
12 confirmation hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Mattis described a world in tumult and a U.S . military that is not robust enough to deal with all the threats the country faces.