Football bosses say security around all Champions League matches is at the maximum after a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund team was hit by explosions on its way to a match.
The incidents occurred as the squad left their hotel en route to the Signal Iduna Park stadium for the first leg of the quarter-final tie, which was swiftly postponed. Defender Marc Bartra has undergone surgery on his arm after being injured in the explosions . A bone in his arm was broken and debris lodged in his hand.
The Champions League final is being held in Cardiff on June 3.
South Wales Police2 have said that the security operation is unprecedented . On Wednesday spokesmen for both Uefa and South Wales Police said the security operation ahead of the showpiece final has been going on for months and is already at its maximum.
A window of Dortmund’s team bus was damaged in the explosions Marc Bartra
South Wales Police staff will be joined by officers from all other Welsh forces to police the event. On the day of the final 1,500 officers will be in the city including armed patrols.
They have had 25 officers working on the planning for the event full-time so far and that number will be doubled as it draws nearer. There will be huge security measures in the city in the build-up to the event.
In the wake of the Borussia Dortmund bus bombings Superintendent Steve Furnham from South Wales Police said: The events in Germany yesterday are being fully investigated by the German authorities and we cannot speculate on the matter.
Detailed safety and security planning and preparation for the Uefa Champions League Finals in Cardiff has been going ahead for many months.
Measures will be taken to restrict vehicular access to a number of areas within Cardiff.
Police officers and firefighters stand outside the Dortmund team bus after it was damaged
We are working with our partners here in South Wales as well as with other security forces across the country to ensure a safe and secure environment for the finals in June. The UK Government has given a 1.4m grant to South Wales Police towards funding the extra costs.
Uefa competitions director Giorgio Marchetti told the BBC: The security risk, I think, is the top priority element which is included in the preparation of the matches.
So for me as far we at Uefa know all security arrangements which are done by the clubs and the local police wherever a match is played is already at the maximum and all possible risks are taken into consideration.
The Borussia Dortmund match has been rescheduled for Wednesday night. Mr Marchetti said that arrangements at the Westfalenstadion were being reviewed.
It s clear in light of what happened yesterday at the other venues which are concerned today measures are being currently reviewed and stepped up wherever and whenever is needed, he said.
German police are investigating an Islamist link to the bomb attack on the bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund3 football team last night, a report from the AFP news agency says. According to several local media outlets – S ddeutschern Zeitung, the NDR and the WDR – the one page letter begins: In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
The document is also claimed to refer to the attack on the Berlin Christmas market in December – and is also said to claim that German airplanes are involved in assassinating Muslims in the Caliphate of the Islamic State . One German newspaper says the letter claims the attack was aimed at the team because of the Syrian mission – which has resulted in sportsmen and other celebrities in Germany and other Crusading nations being put on a death list of the Islamic State. It goes on to claim the letter demands an immediate withdrawal of the (German air force) Bundeswehr Tornadoes from Syria as well as the closure of the American air base in Ramstein in Germany.
Controversial drone operations against alleged terrorists in the Middle East are controlled from the base.
‘Get out or I’ll chuck you out’ Teenager grabbed around throat by security guard at Cardiff shopping centre
This is the moment a security guard at Cardiff s main shopping centre grabbed a 15-year-old boy by the throat and told him: Get out or I ll chuck you out . The incident, which happened at St David s Shopping Centre on Sunday afternoon, involved a group of friends. They had been skateboarding in the city centre and were heading to eat when they were approached by security officers and asked to leave.
A video of the incident – which has since been posted online – then shows one of the security guards grabbing one of the teenagers by the throat. The security guard has been suspended with immediate effect .
The 15-year-old boy involved was Luther Small from Llanrumney, Cardiff. His mother, Carol, said: Luther doesn t really want to take things any further . He accepts the guy overreacted but doesn t want him to be suspended . It s just one of those things.
A video of the incident was posted online by Rhayna Mann, whose 15-year-old son, Riley, was also a part of the group of friends. Posting the footage to Twitter, she wrote: Disgusting . Appalling . Shameful.
Rhayna s husband, Jason Mann, added: My son and his friends were in Cardiff skating on Sunday . They decided to get some food at around 5pm.
Obviously one of the only places open at that time on a Sunday was St David s Shopping Centre.
They went in and took a seat in a caf , but they were approached by security and told they had to leave.
They were not misbehaving or playing up, but were told they had to leave because they had skateboards.
My son and his friends told the guards they didn t understand . They were only having food . They hadn t even skated inside the centre.
But security kicked them out . They tried their luck at another entrance and the security guards were waiting for them there.
This is when Luther was grabbed by one of the guards. Jason says the management team at St David s have been in touch to explain the situation but the incident has left them feeling upset and angry.
Riley was OK when he came home – he skates a lot, so is used to having run-ins with people, Jason said.
But he s a good kid .
I m not just saying that as his parent – Riley is a bright and well-mannered boy.
His mum was upset when she saw the footage, but I was just angry that someone in a position of power would abuse their rights.
The boys are 15 at the end of the day . Even if they were mouthy and the security guard felt justified in throwing them out, you don t grab a young boy by the throat. Mark Nott, centre manager for St David s Cardiff, said: We have been made aware of this incident and the security officer involved has been suspended with immediate effect.
This is not the level of conduct we expect from our officers and we apologise to all parties involved.
A full investigation is now taking place and we are liaising with the customers concerned directly.
A spokeswoman for South Wales Police said: “We are aware of an alleged assault at St David s shopping centre, Cardiff, which occurred at approximately 8.30pm on Sunday, April 9.
“Enquiries in to the incident are ongoing.
“Anyone who witnessed the incident, or who has video footage which may assist with our enquiries, should contact 101 quoting reference 1700134453.”
A 1.4m grant has been given towards paying for the huge security operation for the Champions League final being held in Cardiff. The UK Government has approved a Special Grant application made by the South Wales Police and Crime Commissioner to cover the additional costs of policing the game.
The grant had been applied for before the attack in Westminster a fortnight ago. The final will be held at the Principality Stadium which will be renamed The National Stadium of Wales for the event.
Security measures were ramped up at UEFA Euro 2016 in France (Photo: Getty Images Europe)
The city is set to see 250,000 fans in the city in the week of the final and police have said it will be their biggest operation ever. The amount of security in the city will be unprecedented . The number of officers is not expected to exceed the huge operation for Nato but the amount of security measures are likely to be bigger in the wake of terror attacks around the world. Staff working near the stadium have been warned they will need to carry identification and could be searched at any point in the build up.
Click to play Tap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel
Watch this video again
Video will play in
How to get your Champions League Final tickets
There will also be a focus on hostile vehicle mitigation around the city. Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns said: Cardiff has consistently proven its calibre in delivering high profile events on an international stage . The eyes of the world will once again be upon us as we prepare to host the Champions League finals.
The safety and security of the hundreds of thousands of people set to flood into the city and surrounding areas at this time is of paramount importance.
Security fencing erected for the Nato summit
“The UK Government is determined to ensure that Wales, and the UK, are seen in the best possible light on the worldwide stage and the policing of the event will be crucial in achieving this.
I am delighted that we have been able to provide this funding for South Wales Police.
“I know the whole city is looking forward to giving visiting supporters a wonderful welcome at what will be a safe and successful Champions League final later this year. Minister for Policing and the Fire Service, Brandon Lewis said: I am pleased to confirm that 1.4million in special grant funding has been allocated to support South Wales Police at the Champions League final in Cardiff.
An increased police presence on the streets of Cardiff on the eve of the NATO Summit (Photo: Western Mail)
“I am sure it will be a fantastic event for the city of Cardiff to host.
The UK Government has protected police funding since the 2015 Spending Review and it is right that in exceptional circumstances we provide additional resources in order to make sure we keep our communities safe and secure.
Mr Cairns added: “Wales has never seen a sporting event on this scale . The only event that comes close to the police security requirement was that of NATO.
“NATO was a security driven initiative . This is about being open and welcoming to the public to ensure that people who come to Cardiff, can be safe here and be supported admirably by the local police force to ensure that the event is a fantastic festival for Cardiff and the UK.
“We have been in discussions with South Wales Police for some time over resources that are needed in order to make sure that the Champions League is a great success for Cardiff, Wales and the UK.
“The special grant had been awarded to South Wales Police to ensure that its the showcase that we want it to be to demonstrate we are a global nation.
“This will have hundreds of millions of viewers and we are determined to show that Cardiff is an open and welcoming place.”