Trump administration playing with fire with plan for 30,000-strong force including Kurdish militias, Ankara warns
Syrian Democratic Forces fighters in Raqqa, Syria . The force is dominated by the Kurdish YPG, which to Ankara is indistinguishable from the PKK, which it regards as a terror group . Photograph: Rodi Said/Reuters
Russia said it also opposed the plan, warning it could lead to the partitioning of Syria . For its part, the Syrian regime vowed to win back control of the entire country, including by removing any form of US-backed Syrian Kurdish force . The US plan was a blatant attack on Syrian sovereignty, Syria2 said. The US-led coalition on Sunday announced its plan to build a Syrian security force, one of the few insights into the Trump administration s longer-term thinking for Syria.
Relations between Turkey and the US have been unravelling in recent weeks, partly due to rows over the president s planned visa restrictions . Turkey is also angry at the support the US continues to provide to the Syrian Kurdish forces3 that formed the backbone of the Syrian Democratic Forces, which led the military assault on Islamic State troops based in Raqqa. The SDF is dominated by the Kurdish YPG, and the plan for a so-called border force, including 15,000 SDF veterans, dashes Turkish hopes that the US would abandon the YPG once the war against Islamic State came to an end . Turkey regards the Kurdish YPG militia as indistinguishable from the Kurdistan Workers party (PKK) operating inside Turkey, which it regards as a terror group.
The force will deploy along the border with Turkey to the north, the Iraqi border to the south-east and along the Euphrates river valley, which broadly acts as the dividing line separating the US-backed SDF and Syrian government forces backed by Iran and Russia. Ibrahim Kalin, the spokesman for the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdo an, said Washington is taking worrying steps to legitimise this organisation and make it lasting in the region .
It is absolutely not possible for this to be accepted, he said, adding that Turkey will continue its fight against any terrorist organisation regardless of its name and shape within and outside its borders . Turkey s deputy prime minister, Bekir Bozda , said the US border force plan was playing with fire, and had not been the subject of consultation with other national forces in the coalition fighting Islamic State.
Turkey, a Nato member, said it would shortly mount an assault on the Kurdish-held Syrian north-western town of Afrin, close to the Turkish border. The Syrian government warned it considers any Syrian who participates in these militias sponsored by the Americans as a traitor to their people and nation, and will deal with them on this basis . The Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, giving his annual foreign policy press conference, described the US move as provocative and unilateral.
Russia and Iran, at the invitation of the Syrian government, are planning to keep forces inside Syria once the conflict ends .
The planned border force may be seen as a bargaining chip, showing the US also has a stake in Syria s future, including a tool with which to press Russia to negotiate on Assad s future. The US has about 2,000 troops in Syria and has said they will stay in the country until it is certain Islamic State is defeated, and progress is made in UN-led peace talks in Geneva on ending the conflict . The US is frustrated Russia has not put pressure on the regime of President Bashar al-Assad to negotiate at Geneva, but instead is pressing ahead with its own peace talks, the Syrian national dialogue congress scheduled this month at the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
Christmas is coming, and pubs and clubs will soon be full of Christmas get-togethers, office parties, and people celebrating the arrival of the holidays. It s also a time when some people can find themselves in a dangerous situation, either inside a venue or out on the streets, and need extra protection. Door supervisors can make a big difference to the outcome of a night out by intervening to assist a vulnerable person in trouble, and helping them to make it home safe. We want to reinforce some of the key messages from our SIA-mandated door supervisor training, and emphasise the importance of safeguarding vulnerable people in the night time economy.
How can a door supervisor can help to keep vulnerable people safe?
Recognise the risks to vulnerable people being ejected from, or refused entry to a venue:
- Being under the influence of drink or drugs
- Being assaulted
- Being alone
- Receiving unwanted attention
- Domestic violence
- Being too young to look after themselves
- Becoming the target of a sexual predator
What actions can be taken by a door supervisor to protect vulnerable people?
- Call a friend or relative to assist them
- Call a licensed taxi to take them home
- Use a safe haven
- Ask street pastors or street marshals to assist
- Call the police
Can you recognise behaviours that could indicate potential sexual predators? These often include:
- A lone male seen pestering a customer or member of staff
- A heavily intoxicated female leaving with a male
- A regular attendee frequently leaving with different intoxicated females
- Finding a date-rape type drug on a person during a search
- The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry in the United Kingdom, reporting to the Home Secretary under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001.
The SIA’s main duties are: the compulsory licensing of individuals undertaking designated activities; and managing the voluntary Approved Contractor Scheme.
- For further information about the Security Industry Authority or to sign up for email updates visit www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk.
Job Title: Security Officers Job Type: Construction Security Shift Pattern: Days / Nights / Weekends/Bank Holidays
Location: London SW8 Salary : 9.75 Per Hour Benefits:
- Free uniform
- Free on site secure parking
- Funded SIA Renewal
- Enhanced bank holiday payments
- 5.6 week annual holiday (Pro-rata)
- Servest development training from day one leading to ILM qualifications
Company: Servest Multi Service Group Ltd.
Discover more at https://www.servest.co.uk This position requires candidates to hold a valid and current SIA Front Line Licence & CSCS Card. Personal Specifications:
- Team Player
- Eye for detail
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Basic IT Skills (word/excel/email)
- Eager to Learn and Develop
Primary duties will include:
- Providing an efficient and effective Security Service for our client, ensuring high standards are delivered and maintained
- Undertaking regular CCTV patrols, regular check calls and maintaining logs
- Effective monitoring of visitors and employees
- Understanding of and adherence to Health and Safety regulations with responsibility for the Health & Safety welfare of colleagues alongside their own
- Logging details of incoming Delivery s and Vehicles Accessing / Egressing the Site
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- SIA License is essential
- CSCS Card Qualification
- Flexibility to works across shifts patterns which would include days, night shifts and weekend working
- Experience of working within a busy Construction Site environment would be advantageous
- High levels of integrity and professionalism
- Previous experience with two-way radios & telephone equipment essential
- Basic IT and Microsoft Office skills essential (Excel, Outlook, Word)
Successful candidates will be required to undertake security screening in accordance with BS7858 which will include a full unbroken 5 year period of referencing for which you will be required to provide full address history and employment details.
We offer excellent career and development opportunities, as an organisation that’s proud of its great people – We believe in the opportunity to recognise and share success. Servest is an equal opportunities employer and rely on diversity to deliver on our goals. We actively encourage applications from talented and qualified individuals regardless of race, gender, nationality.
Job Type: Full-time
- London SW8
- Construction Security: 1 year
Required licences or certifications:
- CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme)
Read the original post: Security Officer (Construction)