Published: 11:43 Thursday 24 August 2017
Security at Celtic Park is being increased as Scotland s major venues continue to take action as the terror threat level in the UK remains at severe . The move to step up security at the stadium comes less than 24 hours after it emerged that roads around Ibrox Stadium in Govan, home of Rangers FC, would be closed by police in reponse to the threat level1. A statement from police posted on Rangers website said: You will have noticed at recent matches at Ibrox Stadium that roads around the perimeter of the stadium have been closed prior to and at the conclusion of the match. Taking into account the current UK Threat Level and to ensure the safety of all spectators this new arrangement will continue until further notice.
The road closures will be lifted as soon as the Safety Officer and Match Commander are satisfied that the spectators are safely away from the stadium. Police Scotland is believed to be acting on the advice of counter-terrorism experts, with officers seeking to enhance safety and provide public reassurance at a number of locations. Chief superintendent Sharon Milton added: Measures – including those to deter vehicle attacks – will be in place at all Rangers and Celtic home games for the foreseeable future.
This is not unique to one specific geographical area or policing division, and considerations apply for events across Scotland. Additional safety measures have been brought in for roads around Bellahouston Park, where US rapper Eminem is due to perform this evening.
Published: 12:15 Saturday 12 August 2017
Security is under review after an amateur photographer managed to land a drone on the deck of Britain s newest aircraft carrier. The 70,000-tonne HMS Queen Elizabeth – the largest warship in the Royal Navy – was docked in Invergordon in the Highlands when the drone was flown close to the carrier last month. The tiny aircraft then landed itself on the deck of the 3 billion vessel after sensing a high wind risk. The anonymous photographer – a member of the Black Isle Images amateur photography group – said he was surprised to have been unchallenged, even when he reported the incident to armed guards at the dock. The drone pilot told BBC Scotland: I could have carried two kilos of Semtex and left it on the deck. I could have been anybody . It was like a ghost ship.
READ MORE: 3bn HMS Queen Elizabeth vulnerable to low-cost missiles 1 The photographer took the oppportunity to take footage of the new aircraft carrier when it arrived in Invergordon last month, piloting his DJI Phantom drone from the other side of the Cromarty Firth. The drone was equiped with anti-crash sensors which automatically land the aircraft if it is in danger.
The non-slip coating of the carrier s deck allowed the drone – which usually avoids steel structures – to touch down . The drone pilot then took a photograph and managed to take off again. A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: We take the security of HMS Queen Elizabeth very seriously.
This incident has been reported to Police Scotland, an investigation is under way and we stepped up our security measures in light of it.
An offender has narrowly been spared a prison sentence after he was at large for about six months after committing an assault at Chesterfield Royal Hospital. Chesterfield magistrates court heard on Thursday, July 27, how Mark Anthony Singleton, 43, had struck a security guard at the hospital but never showed up for his court appearance on January 3 and he became a wanted man. Singleton, of Almond s Green, West Derby, Liverpool, told the court he had been caring for his stepfather who had suffered repeated strokes and had suffered brain damage and he wanted to help his mother and niece. He added: I was scared I would go to jail . I thought I would help my mum and niece until my step-dad got better because he nearly died and then I would hand myself in. The court heard how Singleton had originally assaulted a security guard at the hospital in June, 2016, after security guards tried to detain him following concerns an illegal substance had been passed to someone in the hospital. Prosecuting solicitor Ruth Snodin said the security guard had been assaulted and been struck to the side of the face and twice to the back of his head.
Following several hearings, Singleton pleaded guilty to assault and his case was adjourned in December for a probation report but he failed to return to court on January 3 for sentencing. The court heard how a warrant was issued for Singleton s arrest and he was at large until the latest hearing last Thursday. Singleton told the court there was a scuffle with the security guard but claimed he did not punch him. He added that he is ashamed of what happened but claimed he is in a better place now and is having treatment for a long-term heroin addiction. He said: I am in a better place and I am on a methadone prescription . I was scared to come to court but I knew this day would come. Magistrates sentenced Singleton to eight weeks of custody suspended for 12 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.
He was also fined 50 and ordered to pay 85 costs and 50 in compensation.