Thousands of music fans flocked to see the likes of Fat Boy Slim and Ocean Colour Scene last summer1 and it s sure to be status-quo when Life from Times Square returns to Newcastle for 2017, kicking off with Jake Bugg on Thursday night. Just like last year a stellar and eclectic lineup awaits ticket holders descending on the city centre2 event with the likes of James, Leftfield, The Libertines, Hacienda Classical, Manic Street Preachers and Brian Wilson lined up to entertain. Like many events after May s Manchester terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert, security has been heightened for Live from Times Square with organisers explaining:
Due to the high levels of security risk currently being experienced throughout the UK and mainland Europe we have been working diligently with both the Local Authorities and the Police to ensure as many measures are introduced to protect everyone attending Live From Times Square.
These measures have included hostile vehicle mitigation at both entrance and exit of the site with the placing of concrete barriers surrounding the entry points which will be supplemented by steel shield fencing at the rear of the site for added protection.
We will be carrying out thorough searches of attendees on entry and we appreciate everyone s cooperation on this area .
As such anyone found carrying items such as flares will be dealt with seriously and handed straight over to the Police.
We are also undergoing thorough site and building checks prior to the events to ensure that nothing of a suspicious nature has been left in or around the venue.
So the advice is to allow plenty of time to get in to the Live from Times Square compound before music starts and to co-operate fully with security staff.
Police are beefing up fortifications at Cambridge’s police station with a 12,000 black fence to surround the building. The move comes despite plans to sell Parkside police station in a cost-cutting exercise by force chiefs in an effort to keep the same number of officers on the front line. The station is currently secured by a vehicle barrier, but the force has now submitted plans to build a 2m high security fence and gate to surround the property.
Jason Ablewhite, Police and Crime Commissioner for Cambridgeshire, said the fence plan comes after vandals attacked several police cars over the last few months . He denied it was because of the terror threat level.
Parkside police station (top left) Police commissioner Jason Ablewhite outside the station and right – Chief Constable Alec Wood
The planning application submitted to Cambridge City Council says: This application is submitted by Cambridgeshire Constabulary to provide higher levels of security and restricted access to the application site as a whole.
When Parkside Police Station was originally built some 40 years ago security was not perceived to be as great an issue as it is today and therefore the security requirement of the force has to be updated to provide a safe environment for the users of the site.
The proposal is to erect a 2m high weld mesh security fence with matching gates between the buildings to the Warkworth Terrace front. The application adds: Given the current social and political environment, security is a significant issue for the police force both in terms of ensuring the security and wellbeing of its officers and to those who are in their custody.
Police cells at Parkside
The application proposal for security gates and fences is a measured response and seeks to use the proprietary security fencing systems that are often used in visually sensitive locations such as around schools and sports grounds.
No barbed or razor wire is proposed on top of the fencing and it will be used in its standard form.
Police and Crime Commissioner Jason Ablewhite announced the closure of Parkside police station in a massive sell off of the force s estate, as the News reported. Currently valued at 35 million and costing 4 million a year to run, recent moves have already seen the number of police buildings reduce. A project is under way to find a suitable site in the Cambridge area to construct a new investigation centre to replace the station.
Mr Ablewhite said: The proposed fence application is not in relation to the current national terror threat level.
Over the last 12 months a number of marked vehicles at Parkside Police Station have been damaged creating a risk to both public and officers.
The proposed application will help reduce the vandalism at a cost of circa 12,000.
I can confirm that there are still plans to construct a new investigation centre outside of the city which would replace the custody facilities located at Parkside Police Station.
A number of options are being considered . A local police presence in the city will be maintained.
Relocating Parkside is part of an ongoing project to review the estate of the constabulary in order to support the changing requirements of operational policing and support services.
Parkside police station
The police estate is currently valued at 35 million and costs 4 million annually, to run. The fence planning application was lodged with the city council on July 10.
Householders, business and groups affected by the plan have until August 2 to submit any comments and objections to the council.
Extra security measures have been put in place ahead of South Tyneside s seafront concerts in the wake of recent terror atrocities.
The South Tyneside Festival1 is in full swing, after South Shields FC2 kicked off the Summer Parade with an open-top bus celebration of their historic quadruple on Saturday. Busted and Louisa Johnson are among the leading names headlining at Bents Park on the Sunday afternoon concerts throughout the month of July. Visitors are being advised in advance of extra security measures being adopted in a move to give them extra reassurances.
Bag searches will be carried out on entry, and visitors are encouraged to limit the amount of bags they bring. Councillor Alan Kerr, deputy leader of South Tyneside Council3 with responsibility for culture and leisure, said: While we want visitors to enjoy themselves and have a wonderful experience at our summer events, we also want them to feel safe.
This is why we are putting some additional security measures in place.
However, we need the public to help us as we carry out this important work.
We know that people like to bring plenty of supplies and picnic items with them, particularly as they relax and enjoy the live music at our fabulous Sunday Concerts.
However, to speed up the entry process, we are appealing for visitors to keep the number of bags they bring to a minimum, and leave any sharp instruments at home.
We hope that these checks will give visitors extra reassurance that their safety remains a priority for us and we would like to thank people in advance for their patience and co-operation during this time. The additional security measures come following a comprehensive review of the events safety plans, carried out by South Tyneside Council in consultation with Northumbria Police in the wake of the Manchester and London terrorist attacks.
Additional staff will be in place to help visitors gain entry to the park as quickly as possible.