Last Updated: 29/10/17 8:22am
A Pakistani policeman stands guard outside the Gaddafi Cricket Stadium
Sri Lanka’s cricket team arrived in Lahore under heavy security Sunday to play the final Twenty20 of a three-match series, eight years after they were attacked by gunmen there. The team and their officials were taken to a five-star hotel in a bomb-proof bus with hundreds of security guards on the roads and at the resort. International cricket was suspended in Pakistan after the 2009 gun attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore, which left eight people killed and seven visiting players and their staff members injured.
India vs New Zealand
November 1, 2017, 1:20pm
Sri Lanka – the first major team to visit the country since the incident – will play a Twenty20 match on Sunday evening before flying back to Colombo via Dubai. Several Sri Lankan players and officials, including survivors who came under gunfire in 2009 and their head coach, had opted out of the Twenty20 fixture after some voiced concern about security.
Pakistani soldiers patrol outside the Gaddafi Cricket Stadium ahead of the T20 cricket match against Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka played two Tests, five one-day internationals and the first two Twenty20 matches of the series in the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan’s neutral venue since 2009. In the last eight years Pakistan have only hosted minnows Zimbabwe in 2015, the final of Pakistan Super League and a three-match Twenty20 series against a World XI — comprised of players from seven countries — earlier this year. Sri Lankan all-rounder Thisara Perera, appointed captain of the new-look team, said it was great to be back. “It’s nice to be in Pakistan again,” said Perera, who was part of the World XI last month. “We are thankful for a warm welcome and will do our best to entertain the crowd with some good cricket.”
Pakistani soldiers arrive at the Gaddafi Cricket Stadium
Sri Lanka’s sports minister Dayasiri Jayasekera and Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) President Thilanga Sumathipala are also on the tour while a two-member security delegation is in Lahore for the last two days to oversee security arrangements.
“We are thankful to the Sri Lankan team for coming to Pakistan and I request the fans to support both the teams during the match,” said Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed, whose team also arrived from Dubai early Sunday.
International T20 Cricket
October 29, 2017, 6:55pm
Heavy security with air surveillance will be in place during the match with fans having to go through various check points and body searches.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) hopes a safe tour by Sri Lanka will help them convince the West Indies to visit for three Twenty20 internationals next month.
“It’s a historic moment,” PCB chairman Najam Sethi told AFP on Friday. “With improved security we hope fully-fledged international cricket will return to Pakistan in the next two years.”
On 27 July at Kingston Crown Court, Michael Quinton pleaded guilty to acting as a director of Limited Risk Ltd contrary to the Company Director Disqualification Act. We began investigating Quinton and Limited Risk Ltd*, an existing Portsmouth-based security company to which he was linked, in May 2014. Quinton, who appeared to be acting as a director of the company, was listed as a disqualified director at Companies House and did not hold an SIA licence. When the investigation began, Quinton and Limited Risk had a number of contracts to undertake security at venues across London and the South East. After further enquiries it became clear that Quinton also had connections to several security companies that were listed as dissolved at Companies House.
These companies were Defensa Security Limited, Guardit (UK) Limited, Guardit Clubs Limited, Guardit Events Limited and Guardit Security Services. After scrutinising Quinton further, our SIA investigators uncovered a number of potential offences from the Commonwealth Games in Scotland in 2014. These offences related to the supply of security staff to the Commonwealth Games where accommodation for the volunteers never materialised and they ended up paying for it themselves. Our SIA investigators were able to show that Quinton had been acting as a director for Limited Risk, despite having been disqualified. As a result, we referred him to the Insolvency Service and supplied information relating to the investigation.
Hampshire Police also investigated Quinton. The Criminal Enforcement team at the Insolvency Service then prosecuted Quinton. The court gave Quinton an 18 month sentence, suspended for 2 years. He was ordered to pay all the prosecution s costs of 13,818.47 within 6 months, and was disqualified from being a director of a company and/or an insolvency practitioner for 10 years. Kevin Young, SIA Partnerships and Investigations Manager, said:
Our investigation of Quinton s business practices relating to the supply of security staff to the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Scotland, and other major sporting events, revealed a pattern of behaviour.
Our investigators at the SIA actively seek to work with partners and the conviction of Michael Quinton shows the value of joint working and sharing of information between the Insolvency Service and Hampshire Police.
The case lawyer, Ian Hatcher, from the Insolvency Service said:
This case shows that the Criminal Enforcement Team of Insolvency Service will take action against those individuals who act as directors or are involved in the management of companies when they are not permitted to do so. Here, a disqualified director attempted to circumvent his ban by incorporating a company abroad and by using the names of others as directors of his British company. The Criminal Enforcement Team of Insolvency Service was alive to this, and took firm action.
- The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry in the United Kingdom, reporting to the Home Secretary under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001.
The SIA’s main duties are: the compulsory licensing of individuals undertaking designated activities; and managing the voluntary Approved Contractor Scheme.
- For further information about the Security Industry Authority or to sign up for email updates visit www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk.
Our thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the events in Manchester and our deepest condolences are with the families and friends of those who tragically lost their lives.
Dorset Police stand with Greater Manchester Police and other forces across the country . Public safety is our priority and we have a variety of established operational tactics that are regularly used to ensure that our local communities and businesses are both well prepared and protected.
Our aim is to reduce the risk to the public and maximise public awareness . As is normal practice, we are in touch with national anti-terrorism coordinators.
this time there has been no change to the threat level in the UK but this is reviewed on a national basis and Dorset Police will, if necessary, respond accordingly . We regularly review intelligence and information and would like to reassure the public that at this time there is no specific threat to Dorset . The public should be alert but not alarmed.
The advice remains the same members of the public should always remain alert to the danger of terrorism and report any suspicious activity to police on 999 or the anti-terrorist hotline 0800 789 321.