A suspicious object which sparked a security alert in north Belfast was deemed “nothing untoward”.
Pacific Avenue, just off the Antrim Road was closed and the Army bomb squad called to the scene.
Deputy Mayor or Belfast, Mary Ellen Campbell said a suspected pipe bomb was behind the alert and residents evacuated from their homes. Police added: “A security alert which started earlier at Pacific Avenue in north Belfast has ended . Police say nothing untoward was found .
The road has now been reopened to traffic.”
Strabane security alert ends after ‘bid to kill police officers with roadside bomb with command wire’
A security alert in Strabane has ended after a “roadside bomb with a command wire” exploded at the side of the road which was “designed to kill ” officers.
The alert at on the Liskey Road and Townsend Street was sparked on Tuesday and ended on Friday afternoon. Three officers escaped injury after the device exploded while they were on patrol. Police said the device was a “roadside bomb with a command wire attached”. Chief Inspector Ivor Morton said: “This was a complex security operation involving what can only be described as a roadside bomb with a command wire attached. “This device was designed to kill or seriously injure officers serving the local community in Strabane, but it was also left in a built up area where it could quite easily have killed or maimed members of the public – showing a callous disregard for the safety of the local community.
It is extremely fortunate that we are not talking about the deaths of police officers or members of the public today.
The blame for this incident lies squarely on the reckless individuals who placed this device . The overwhelming majority of people in the community do not want this type of activity and we as a police service will continue to work to bring those responsible before the courts.” A 20-year-old man has been arrested in Newtownstewart in connection with the attack .
He was taken to Musgrave Serious Crime Suite in Belfast on Friday morning for questioning. Mr Morton thanked the public for their patience. He said: I would like to thank the local community for their patience and understanding during the course of this prolonged policing operation. “Our primary aim throughout has been community safety and we are committed to doing this by working with the community . The security operation caused significant disruption to the people of the area, but was necessary to allow for a careful examination of the scene in order to keep people safe.
By Rob Dorsett
Last Updated: 21/03/17 2:19pm
Leicester have offered Jamie Vardy extra security, according to Sky sources
Sky sources understand Leicester have offered Jamie Vardy and his family extra security after he said he and his wife have been targeted following Claudio Ranieri s sacking.
The England striker revealed his wife Rebekah has been “cut up” while driving with their children in the back of the car and has spoken of the death threats he gets “every week”.1 Vardy feels the threats are as a result of reports that he, and other senior players at Leicester, played a role in the Italian being sacked last month . The striker is adamant he had nothing to do with Ranieri’s sacking.
Leicester players have denied having any involvement in Claudio Ranieri’s sacking
The Premier League champions already have a full-time security staff in place to ensure the safety of the squad, and the club are aware of the threats made to Vardy and his family on social media. At the moment, the player has not requested any extra security measures be put in place. Vardy says the situation has not been helped by reports he was among a number of players plotting against Ranieri after a Champions League defeat at Sevilla, but he said he was actually sat in “anti-doping for three hours” after the game. “I read one story that said it the meeting was straight after the Sevilla game,” he said. “It said I was personally involved in a meeting when I was actually sat in anti-doping for three hours . A few of you media waited around for an interview after. “Then of course the story is out there and people pick it up and jump on it and you’re getting death threats about your family, kids, everything . On social media, you name it – walking down the street .
To be honest I get them every week. “Football fans don’t seem to like me . I just get on with it but when people are trying to cut your missus up while she’s driving along, with the kids in the back of the car, it’s not the best .
It’s happened plenty of times. “It is terrifying . All that can happen is they get banned on Twitter .
People get cut up but if there’s no cameras you’re screwed.”