The Champions Trophy will continue under significantly enhanced security following the terror attack which killed at least seven people and injured many more in central London. The International Cricket Council released a statement on Sunday morning in which it confirmed security is very much front and centre of our preparations as the global tournament continues over the next two weeks. The measures which were put in place after last week s attack in Manchester therefore remain in place, including enhanced security at Sunday s high-profile match between India and Pakistan at Edgbaston.
A minute s silence took place before that fixture, in memory of those who lost their lives or were injured on Saturday night, and shortly afterwards the ICC began its statement by remembering the victims.
Our thoughts are with everyone affected by what has happened in London overnight, it read.
The ICC and ECB England and Wales Cricket Board continue to place safety and security at the ICC Champions Trophy and ICC Women s World Cup this summer as the highest priority. Swift measures were immediately taken to ensure the safety of competing teams around the country. The statement added: Following last night s incident all team hotels went into lockdown and teams, match officials and staff were all quickly accounted for.
The enhanced security around venues implemented following the Manchester attack remains in place, and this includes significantly enhanced police and security presence for today s match.
The next teams in action will be Australia and Bangladesh at The Oval on Monday, and they were both set to practise on Sunday at the venue which is in close proximity to the attacks at London Bridge and Borough Market. The ICC added: We operate on advice from our tournament security directorate in conjunction with the ECB and relevant police and security authorities to ensure that we can deliver a safe and secure event.
We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels.
The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations, and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe.
We do not disclose our security details as a matter of policy. Hosts England were travelling to Cardiff on Sunday morning, and will train there later in preparation for their second match of the tournament against New Zealand on Tuesday.
New Zealand are also on their way to Wales, and a team spokesman said: We have taken advice from the ICC and the assistance they have put in place from a security point of view and we will continue to do that. Australia have described themselves as comfortable with the security provided although they will continue to monitor the situation . Steve Smith s team travelled from Birmingham to London after their opening match finished in a rainy no-result against New Zealand two days ago.
A Cricket Australia spokesman said: As with the rest of the world, the Australian team is shocked and saddened at the events that have occurred in London overnight and our thoughts are with those directly involved and their loved ones.
The team, support staff and travelling contingent have been accounted for .
Our security team is working closely with the ICC and LOC to ensure the safety and security of our players and support staff is paramount.
At this stage we are comfortable with the level of security being provided to us and will continue to monitor the situation.
Manchester’s Arndale Centre has been evacuated, with people seen running away screaming and witnesses saying a man was arrested by armed police.
“Security guards and police who were armed shouted at people to get away,” said Sky’s Mike McCarthy, at the scene. “At least 100 people came round the corner – many of them screaming and trying to get away.” Some people fell over in the rush to get away and police with sniffer dogs went inside the shopping centre, said McCarthy. Police said they do not think it was related to the incident at Manchester Arena and the centre has now reopened.
Image: Some people were in tears as the shopping centre was evacuated
The evacuation happened around 12 hours after a bomb attack killed 22 people at a concert at the arena.1 :: Live updates – Manchester attack2 Extra armed police are on UK streets after the attack, with a high state of alert seeing a suspicious item blown up in Manchester in the early hours.
Image: People leave the Arndale Centre after it was evacuated
A controlled explosion took place just after 1.30am in Cathedral Gardens, near the site of the attack, but it later turned out to be a pile of abandoned clothing.
:: Security services think they know who bomber is3 Another suspicious item sparked an evacuation of London’s Victoria coach station around 6.40am. Passengers were moved to the end of the street as the area was cordoned off and buses diverted . However, the alert was called off shortly after 8am.
Image: Cars arriving at Manchester United’s training ground were also searched
Manchester United players arriving at the team’s Carrington training ground have also had their cars searched. Security staff used mirrors to check underneath vehicles and opened up the boots. The team are getting set for Wednesday’s Europa League final against Ajax in Stockholm.
A “mix of armed and unarmed officers” were called up for the rush hour in London, with Met Police chief Cressida Dick saying they would “continue for as long as is needed”. Police Scotland said more armed officers would be at “transport hubs and crowded places”. Policing in crowded places is also being reviewed in the West Midlands, Norfolk, Suffolk, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Essex. Extra armed officers were called up in London and other cities after the Westminster attack in March and the Berlin attack in December. The threat from international terrorism in the UK remains “severe” – as it has been since August 2014 – meaning an attack is highly likely.
- ^ bomb attack killed 22 people at a concert at the arena. (news.sky.com)
- ^ Live updates – Manchester attack (news.sky.com)
- ^ Security services think they know who bomber is (news.sky.com)
- ^ Manchester Arena witness: ‘It was absolute carnage’ (news.sky.com)
Hero security guard saves colleagues’ lives as he shoots ‘drugged-up’ robber in terrifying bank raid
Brian Harrison will not face criminal charges after firing two shots and fatally injuring the masked man.
Brian Harrison fired two shots at Laurence Turner (Photo: Liveleak/ Juggernaut)
In the clip, Turner can be seen shooting into the air and it is at this point that Harrison and Turner exchange gunfire. After guns are fired, Turner turns and tries to flee from the bank, but collapses from his rooms in the doorway.
Shocking footage shows moment bank robber is fatally shot by security guard (Photo: Liveleak/ Juggernaut) Laurence Turner died at the scene (Photo: Rockford Police Department)
No employees were injured during the incident and no customers inside the bank were hurt.
Authorities believe Turner may have been involved in similar robberies in the Rockford area of the past few months.
Winnebago County State’s Attorney Joe Bruscato said: “There is no doubt in my mind that the actions of Brian Harrison saved the lives of those that were employees in the Alpine Bank location on that date and saved his own life.”