A new Ministry of Defence policy document contains a series of stark warnings about threats to the UK’s defence sector. The strategy, which outlines plans to boost British defence exports, also highlights the threat from cyber-attacks1 has become much more serious. The 42-page document warns foreign intelligence services are more active than ever in covertly gathering information on Britain’s defence industry.
It claims this might range from technical details of weapons systems to the theft of intellectual property, which will threaten both national security and jobs in the UK. The document reads:
“The theft of information or disruption and damage of cyber infrastructure could compromise critical capabilities and is a direct threat to our national and economic security.
“We expect all suppliers to understand the scale and nature of the threat and implement robust standards to enhance their cyber security.”
It goes on to say all capabilities and companies involved in the supply chain are at risk. The strategy says last year the defence industry had a turnover of around 23 billion pounds, investing in 4,300 apprentices and directly supporting 142-thousand jobs.
The document also pledges to make it easier for smaller firms to get involved in the sector. It says the Ministry of Defence has an aspiration to place a quarter of defence business with small and medium-sized enterprises by 2020. Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson says the revamped strategy would ensure the UK’s military and defence capabilities would remain the envy of the world.
However, Kevan Jones – a Labour former defence minister – claims the review fails to recognise the Treasury’s refusal to provide adequate funding to his department for new equipment.
“Multi-billion contracts for P-8 maritime patrol aircraft, Apache replacement helicopters and Army support vehicles have all been bought off the shelf from the US, putting UK jobs in jeopardy.
“By failing to properly invest at home, leading British manufacturing skills could be lost for good.”
By James Dale
Last Updated: 15/09/17 6:35pm
Extra police were deployed at Emirates Stadium after fan disorder before kick-off
Cologne have criticised “inadequate” security measures at the Emirates after crowd issues in their Europa League tie with Arsenal.
UEFA has charged Arsenal with blocking stairways in the away supporters section of the stadium during the Group H fixture, while Cologne face four counts – crowd disturbances; the setting off of fireworks; throwing objects; and acts of damage.1
Arsenal have already begun an investigation into the incidents, which led to five people being arrested following crowd disturbances. Arsenal have announced they are undertaking a full review into the events on Thursday, and said “the safety of everyone in and around Emirates Stadium is always our paramount consideration”. Cologne have condemned the incidents, which saw the game kick off an hour late, but believe it would have been “sensible” for the German side to be given more than their 3,000-seat allocation, with another 17,000 of the club’s supporters understood to have made the trip to London. “Due to the enormous demand for tickets, it would have been sensible, not least for security reasons, to allow more than the allocated five per cent of stadium capacity to the guest fans,” a Cologne statement read. “It was apparent that thousands of people from Cologne would seek to avoid the restrictions and get tickets in every way possible.
Arsene Wenger believes it would be ‘completely unfair’ for UEFA to punish Arsenal for the crowd violence which marred the win over Cologne
“One such way would be through the help of Arsenal supporters, who passed on their tickets to the FC fans . Some as gifts, but some also for horrendous prices.” Arsenal have acknowledged a number of away supporters had gained access to home sections “illegally, most likely via ticket touts”. The Premier League club also confirmed that anyone who became an Arsenal member after the UEFA Europa League draw would not have been eligible to buy tickets through their box office or ticket exchange services.
The safety of everyone in and around Emirates Stadium is always our paramount consideration.
An Arsenal statement read: “Any tickets found that have been sold or purchased illegally will be traced back to the original purchaser who will have their membership cancelled and the appropriate action taken.
“We are satisfied that the joint decision to delay the match by one hour and play with a 9.05pmkick-offf was the best and safest option . This was the first time in 20 years of European competition we have had to take such an action . Ultimately the match passed off safely.”
Cologne insist they, along with Arsenal, urged fans to purchase tickets only through official channels, and although the club believe the match going ahead was the correct decision, they questioned the security measures in place. “Despite the tremendous experience of both the London security forces and Arsenal as a permanent partaker in European football, the organisers were unfortunately not adequately prepared for the task,” the statement continued. “In our view, the security concept and communication seemed inadequate and the police force too small.
In our view, the security concept and communication seemed inadequate and the police force too small.
“The most important common goal of having the match played on the same evening was achieved by allowing fans with valid tickets to quickly take their seats . This procedure proved to be the correct decision . Finally, the course of the match showed that the mixing of home and away fans did not constitute a safety risk for this match.” Cologne apologised to Arsenal for “a group of so-called disturbers” which they said “threatened, insulted, and even attacked stewards and police officers without cause”.
Chelsea vs Arsenal
September 17, 2017, 12:30pm
However, the Bundesliga side remained adamant they were not responsible for this minority.
The statement continued: “These people are solely responsible for the fact that a football match with a special meaning for an entire region, as well as the courageous effort of our team on the pitch, had to be overshadowed by scenes that had nothing to do with sport and fair play.”
Arsenal are back in Premier League action this weekend as part of a Super Sunday double-bill .
Coverage of Chelsea v Arsenal begins at 12:30pm on Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event, followed by Manchester United v Everton.
ACTION is being taken to try to prevent vandals breaking into a historic New Forest hotel and wrecking the ornate interior.
It follows a spate of incidents in which hooligans have destroyed a large number of fixtures and fittings.
The hotel, which dominates the eastern entrance to the village, closed in 2014 with the loss of more than 20 jobs.
As the complex continued to stand empty, vandals started smashing their way in and wrecking the rooms.
Two months ago conservationists said a priceless stained-glass window installed in the 19th century was among the items that had been destroyed.
Now more of the windows have been boarded up, including those on the upper floors .
In some cases metal sheeting or the original glass has been replaced with wood.
In a letter to Lyndhurst Parish Council, Police Inspector Katherine Willoughby says: My understanding is that PegasusLife withdrew the 24/7 security once the planning application had been declined.
We have requested that further security is put back on and that the premises are secured with more thorough boarding.
Parish councillors are waiting to see if PegasusLife will lodge an appeal against the NPA s decision or submit a revised scheme.
Speaking last month Grant Drummond, development director for the site, responded to concerns by saying the company was doing everything it could to protect the site.
He said: We are in regular contact with the police and have reported all break-ins that we ve become aware of.
Our security company has detained people on site and passed details of people and vehicles to the police and this has resulted in at least one arrest.
We re taking every practicable measure to minimise opportunities for unlawful access.
Asked about the latest attempts to protect the site a company spokesman said: We currently have 24/7 security with two guards and have installed a welfare unit for them.
A Hampshire Police spokesman added: We attended a partnership meeting about this issue and security at the site has been improved.