Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli and McLaren have decided to cancel their planned Interlagos test due to safety concerns1 at the Brazilian Grand Prix venue. The two-day test, aimed at completing Pirelli’s evaluation work on its 2018 tyres, was scheduled to take place on Tuesday and Wednesday with McLaren drivers Stoffel Vandoorne and Lando Norris. But following a robbery attempt 2on Sunday targeting Pirelli staff, the tyre manufacturer announced on Monday that the test has been called off.
“Following a robbery attempt, neutralised by Pirelli security, on a Pirelli van at the Interlagos circuit last Sunday – after a weekend where similar episodes occurred with other teams – it has been decided to cancel the tyre test planned on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 on the Brazilian circuit with McLaren,” Pirelli said in a statement. “The decision, shared with McLaren, FIA and Formula 1, was made in the interest of the safety of the personnel, both McLaren’s and our own, who would have participated in the test.”
A McLaren statement added: “The safety of our people has always been our top priority, and, given recent events, we felt that it was an unnecessary risk to proceed.” Members of the Mercedes, Williams and Sauber teams were involved in another two separate attacks3 outside the circuit during the grand prix weekend. Although there were no injuries in the incidents, questions have been raised about security around Interlagos given organisers had promised additional police around the circuit following the first attack.
World champion Lewis Hamilton had been one of the most vocal drivers in expressing dismay at the situation. “The most frustrating thing is that I’ve been in Formula 1 for 10 years and every single year that has happened to somebody in the paddock, and it continues to happen,” he said. “It’s an issue I’m sure the government here are fighting, but I think maybe on this weekend, there are protocols that should be put in place to help, like for example when we go to Mexico, which weren’t there for these guys.
“It’s no good just the bosses having security and myself having security . People need to be looked after.” The cancellation of the test should mean Formula 3 European champion Norris is able to make it to the Macau Grand Prix on time.
A hilarious manufacturing error now means some police officers will have the word ‘POLICE’ written upside down on their uniform.
The funny error was spotted during a Hampshire Constabulary training course in Hamble.
At least two officers are now wearing the tops with the mistake on the left sleeve to ‘boost morale’ within the police force.
Three tops were sent to the force but one member of staff decided to return the faulty garment, while the other two officers will continue to wear it.
Chairman of the Hampshire Police Federation, John Apter, immediately laughed when he saw the uniform and posted a photograph of it online.
He said: “I saw an officer wearing the uniform during a training day at the Hampshire Constabulary headquarters; I initially thought the uniform was inside out.
“I then spoke to an another officer who said he was given one which was exactly the same. “It was an error by the manufacturing company but it is funny that some of the officers have to decided to wear them.
“It boosts morale within the force because it’s funny to see. “Three officers were given them and I heard one of them sent it back to the manufacturing firm.
“Who knows, they could be worth some money in the future.”
Mr Apter said the officers will only wear the uniforms ‘internally’ and not when they are patrolling the area.
He added: “It makes people simile and I’m sure the uniforms will inject a bit of morale into the police force.
“Although it is an unfortunate error, hopefully people can see the funny side of it.”
Steve Langridge saw the picture online and commented: “Run!
It’s the ECILOP!”
Hampshire Constabulary declined to comment.
- ^ http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/12899216.Uniform_gaffe_leaves_police_red_faced/ (www.dailyecho.co.uk)
Yorkshire became the first team through to the quarter-finals of the Royal London Cup following their first 10-wicket victory in limited-overs cricket for four years.
Andrew Gale s side, current leaders of the County Championship, emphatically crushed Derbyshire by relying on the principles that have served them so well in the longest form of the game this season what the most famous living Yorkshireman, Geoff Boycott, would call proper crickeeet .
Their bowlers hit disciplined lengths and profited from over-zealous strokes from their opponents. Then, faced with a chase of 152 on a fast-scoring ground, Adam Lyth and Alex Lees broke the back of it by sharing 64 runs before the lunch break.
Victory, their fifth in Group A, was sealed at 3.52pm. One more against Hampshire next week would guarantee a home fixture in the last eight.
Progress on two fronts has also provided English cricket s most decorated county with the chance to shed an unwanted modern record.
Each of the other 17 county clubs have claimed a piece of silverware since Yorkshire won the Cheltenham & Gloucester Trophy in 2002.
I knew going into this competition that, with the make-up of our side, it was a better one for us than Twenty20, said Gale. Everyone can see what our game plans have been with bat and ball and it s worked really well for us.
Even when we lost to Essex the other day I couldn t really ask any more from the boys. They just played better than us on the day.
We re playing some good cricket and I think we can go all the way without a doubt.
Tim Bresnan, who has quickly become England s forgotten man, impressed with the new ball after his brother-in-law Gale won the toss, although his two early wickets were both snared due to shameful shots. His loosener was slashed down third man s throat by Wes Durston while Marcus North chased one outside off-stump in the next over when consolidation was the requirement.
Only during the third-wicket stand of 48 between Derbyshire s captain, Wayne Madsen, and Billy Godleman did the visitors who can still qualify for the latter stages themselves despite beginning the campaign with a two-point deficit for a poor pitch against Durham in 2013 look like compiling a competitive score.
But Madsen s departure, inside-edging a drive, sparked a fall of three wickets in three overs for Richard Pyrah. The lower order proved easy pickings for the leg-spinner Adil Rashid and the metronomic Steven Patterson.
Failure to take an early wicket in response killed off any lingering Derbyshire hopes, and their best chance of taking one at all went during an extraordinary ninth over when their spearhead Mark Footitt was ordered out of the attack for dangerous bowling.
Having been warned by the umpire Peter Hartley for sending down a beamer to Lyth from the sixth ball, he followed up with a leg-side wide with the seventh and a third bouncer of the over with the eighth.
That prompted a separate warning for short-pitched intimidation, following intervention from Mark Benson at square-leg, and Footitt s removal.
Following Madsen s polite challenge to the decision (given that they were warnings for separate transgressions) the officials telephoned Alan Fordham, the ECB s head of cricket operations, for clarification. He upheld the decision to prevent the left-armer Footitt whose colourful tournament has included conceding 23 runs off the penultimate over of a nip-and-tuck defence against Northamptonshire earlier this week bowling again.
Arguably it made little odds to Lees, who was the first of Yorkshire s openers to 50, from 66 balls, shortly after the resumption. Derbyshire must be the sick of the sight of him.
This innings took his career tally to 472 runs against them across all competitions.
They are yet to dismiss him in four attempts.