- Barclays’ security chief Troels Oerting takes leave of absence.
- Oerting involved in internal investigation over efforts to identify anonymous Barclays whistleblower.
- Leave of absence said to be unconnected with whistleblowing incident.
LONDON Barclays’ security chief Troels Oerting took a leave of absence from the bank on Tuesday, according to two people familiar with the situation. Oerting joined the bank in 2015 from Europol, Europe’s law enforcement agency focusing on serious international crime and terrorism. As chief security officer and head of information security at Barclays, he is responsible for protecting the bank against everything from cyber threats to information leaks. A spokesman for Barclays declined to comment.
Oerting’s name turned up in an internal investigation over a whistleblowing case at Barclays . CEO Jes Staley asked Oerting to identify the writer of an anonymous letter sent to the board about a senior executive hired by Staley. Barclays said that Oerting’s group “received assistance” from US law enforcement officials in the attempt to find the whistleblower.1
His leave of absence is unconnected with the whistleblowing incident, one of the people said.
Both Jes Staley and Barclays have been the subject of investigations by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority over the affair. After hearing about the incident earlier this year, the board appointed a law firm, Simmons & Simmons, to investigate. Staley said in a statement at the time: “I have apologised to the Barclays Board, and accepted its conclusion that my personal actions in this matter were errors on my part .
I will also accept whatever sanction it deems appropriate.” The board issued a “formal written reprimand” to Staley and made “a very significant compensation adjustment” to his bonus. Oerting was due to appear on Thursday in a panel discussion at a Barclays conference along with Royce Curtin, Barclays head of intelligence and former deputy assistant director at the FBI and Christopher Greany, Barclays head of investigations and insider threat .
It is unclear if he will still attend.
- ^ from US law enforcement officials in the attempt to find the whistleblower. (uk.businessinsider.com)
A suspect in the murder of police officer Yvonne Fletcher outside the Libyan embassy in London will not be prosecuted because important evidence is being withheld on national security grounds. Police said they were unable to charge the man without being able to present the “key material” in court. WPC Fletcher died after being shot in the back while she was policing a demonstration against the then-Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi in 1984. The shot was fired from the embassy in St James’s Square. The suspect was held in November 2015 in southeast England in what police described as a “significant turning point”
in the inquiry. The Metropolitan Police said: “We believe our investigation has identified enough material to identify those responsible for WPC Fletcher’s murder if it could be presented to a court. “However the key material has not been made available for use in court in evidential form for reasons of national security.
“Therefore, without this material and following a review of all the evidence that was available to prosecutors, the Crown Prosecution Service – who we worked closely with throughout – have informed us that there is insufficient admissible evidence to charge the man.” It added: “Our judgment is that this concludes what was by far the best opportunity to solve this tragic case and provide a degree of closure for the victims and their families. “This investigation will never be closed but the likelihood of finding further evidence, in Libya or elsewhere, is low.”
A statement from WPC Fletcher’s family said: “We understand that some available evidence could not be used in court but are satisfied that the Metropolitan Police has left no stone unturned in its pursuit of justice in Yvonne’s case. “The family would like to thank the Met for its continued hard work and diligence and also for always keeping us informed at every turn. “We are deeply disappointed and frustrated that a prosecution cannot proceed at this time.
“We had hoped that the latest turn of events would finally lead to some closure for the family.” Home Secretary Amber Rudd said: “Her murder remains as shocking and senseless as the day it occurred and I understand that the decision will be deeply disappointing and frustrating for all her family, friends and colleagues.” The shooting was followed by a 10-day siege of the building before 30 of those inside were deported back to Libya.
Details of the identity of the man who has been released have not been made public.
Celebrations around the world to welcome in 2017 are being held amid heightened security in the wake of the deadly terror attacks in Berlin and Nice. Auckland in New Zealand was the first to usher in the new year at 11am UK time. In Australia, which will celebrate the New Year at 1pm UK time, around 1.5 million people are expected at Sydney harbour to watch the fireworks spectacular. :: Barriers in London to prevent NYE lorry attack1
An extra 2,000 police officers have been drafted in to the city while buses will be used to close off some pedestrian areas amid fears about a repeat of this year’s extremist atrocities in France and Germany. In Berlin, where 12 people were killed when a hijacked lorry was driven into a busy Christmas market, barriers have been installed around the landmark Brandenburg Gate to protect revellers. Security has also been ramped up in Cologne in a move to prevent a repeat of last year’s trouble, when police failed to failed to prevent a string of robberies and sexual assaults blamed largely on foreign men. :: Will fog ruin New Year firework displays?2
In New York’s Time Square, where the famed glitter ball is due to descend at 5am UK time, dozens of 20-ton refuse lorries weighted with an extra 15 tons of sand will block the streets around the celebrations, while there will be about 7,000 police officers on patrol. The US security crackdown is not just confined to New York . In Las Vegas FBI and Secret Service agents are working alongside local police departments in order to keep safe more than 300,000 expected visitors for the extravagant celebrations.
In the Indian capital New Delhi and many other of the country’s cities, security has been tightened around shopping centres and restaurants. Here are the UK times of New Year around the world: :: 11am – Auckland
:: 1pm – Sydney :: 3pm – Tokyo :: 3.30pm – Pyongyang
:: 4pm – Hong Kong
:: 9pm – Moscow
:: 11pm- Berlin/Paris