Police have released details of the airport-style security those heading to the Radio 1 Big Weekend will have to go through as measures are ramped up following the Manchester bombing. In the wake of Monday’s attack, which saw 22 killed as they left an Ariana Grande concert1, Humberside Police has been working with event organisers to ensure the two-day festival at Burton Constable Hall, near Hull, is as safe as possible.2 With 50,000 ticketholders expected to descend on the venue on Saturday and Sunday, including many from the Grimsby area, a review of security has seen organisers announce tight rules for festival-goers in how they access the site and what they will be able to bring with them.
Humberside Police and festival organisers have revealed security at the Radio 1 festival will gain additional support through Operation Temperer – the plan to put thousands of soldiers on the street after the terrorist threat level was raised to ‘critical’.
These additional measures require:
Body and bag searches will be carried out both at the shuttle bus hubs and at the entrance to the site, with attendees going through airport-style security checks. All attendees must travel to the site on one of the official shuttle buses or park and ride schemes . You can’t arrive or leave by private car, on foot or by taxi.
The only exception is for blue badge holders, who can access limited free parking which must be booked in advance . The venue will be signposted from the outskirts and at major junctions within a 5-mile radius . On the approach follow the disabled parking signage.
As taxi access is now banned, the deadline to buy advance shuttle bus as well as park and ride passes has been extended to 6pm on Friday, May 26. More news: Pub to hold special event to raise funds for the Manchester bomb victims3 Shuttle buses will cost 15 return and parking at park and ride sites is 10.
You can get transport ticket’s through the Big Weekend 2017 page on the City of Culture’s website. Tickets for the buses can also be bought on the day, but the price will increase to cover the additional administration costs.
As part of the security checks, festivalgoers are also being told not to bring large bags as it’ll slow entrance to Big Weekend. You will be unable to bring your own food and drink to the festival, with the exception of up to 500ml of water in a plastic container with an unbroken seal. Everyone attending Big Weekend is asked to be patient as they try to access the site given the delays expected from the additional security checks.
Police taking ‘all possible steps’
The police believe this heightened security is necessary in response to the tragedy in Manchester.
Assistant Chief Constable Andy McDyer said: “We are taking all possible steps to keep people safe and to minimise the risk of a terrorist attack occurring in our force area and I want to reassure all those planning to come to Big Weekend and those living and working in this area that their safety remains our top priority. “As part of the ongoing review of security arrangements for Big Weekend event we have made an application for additional support under Operation Temperer and we are awaiting a response . We are also being supported by our partner agencies and other UK forces.
“It is unlikely this will result in you seeing any military presence at the event, as additional support is more likely to come from armed officers from other forces, who will be freed up from duties such as guarding key sites by the Armed Forces. “As we have said previously, there will be additional security measures in place including airport-style security and searches at both the transport hubs and the venue. More news: Grimsby joins in minute’s silence for Manchester attack victims4
“The public across our area will also see an enhanced policing presence, including armed police, as the UK police, together with security and intelligence services, work around the clock to keep communities safe. “As further details emerge today of those killed and injured in this horrific attack, our thoughts remain with all those affected by the tragic events in Manchester. “At this stage we are not aware of any casualties from this area.
“Acts of terrorism attempt to create distrust and fear in communities . It is important that our communities stand together during difficult times. “It is also important that we all continue to remain vigilant, but also to go about our daily lives .
We would ask people to be alert and report any suspicious activity to police on the Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800 789321 or dialling 999.”
Radio 1 response
Despite concerns the festival might be cancelled following Monday’s attacks, the BBC confirmed they had in-depth discussions about what was the right thing to do. “Listening to Radio 1 for the last two days, the overwhelming response from our young audience has been that this will not stop us living our lives, this will not stop us going to concerts and it will not stop us enjoying our youth,” explained Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper. “What we have got to do as the BBC is make sure that we provide a safe and secure environment for that to happen.”
Mr Cooper confirmed that no artists had pulled out of the line-up, adding that the organisers had received huge support from across the music industry.
Radio 1’s Big Weekend 2017 line up includes Katy Perry, Kings of Leon, Stormzy and Little Mix amongst many others.
There is expected to be an official tribute to the victims of the Manchester bombing on site at the festival.
- ^ 22 killed as they left an Ariana Grande concert (www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk)
- ^ ensure the two-day festival at Burton Constable Hall, near Hull, is as safe as possible. (www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk)
- ^ Pub to hold special event to raise funds for the Manchester bomb victims (www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk)
- ^ Grimsby joins in minute’s silence for Manchester attack victims (www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk)
Manchester’s Arndale Centre has been evacuated, with people seen running away screaming and witnesses saying a man was arrested by armed police.
“Security guards and police who were armed shouted at people to get away,” said Sky’s Mike McCarthy, at the scene. “At least 100 people came round the corner – many of them screaming and trying to get away.” Some people fell over in the rush to get away and police with sniffer dogs went inside the shopping centre, said McCarthy. Police said they do not think it was related to the incident at Manchester Arena and the centre has now reopened.
Image: Some people were in tears as the shopping centre was evacuated
The evacuation happened around 12 hours after a bomb attack killed 22 people at a concert at the arena.1 :: Live updates – Manchester attack2 Extra armed police are on UK streets after the attack, with a high state of alert seeing a suspicious item blown up in Manchester in the early hours.
Image: People leave the Arndale Centre after it was evacuated
A controlled explosion took place just after 1.30am in Cathedral Gardens, near the site of the attack, but it later turned out to be a pile of abandoned clothing.
:: Security services think they know who bomber is3 Another suspicious item sparked an evacuation of London’s Victoria coach station around 6.40am. Passengers were moved to the end of the street as the area was cordoned off and buses diverted . However, the alert was called off shortly after 8am.
Image: Cars arriving at Manchester United’s training ground were also searched
Manchester United players arriving at the team’s Carrington training ground have also had their cars searched. Security staff used mirrors to check underneath vehicles and opened up the boots. The team are getting set for Wednesday’s Europa League final against Ajax in Stockholm.
A “mix of armed and unarmed officers” were called up for the rush hour in London, with Met Police chief Cressida Dick saying they would “continue for as long as is needed”. Police Scotland said more armed officers would be at “transport hubs and crowded places”. Policing in crowded places is also being reviewed in the West Midlands, Norfolk, Suffolk, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Essex. Extra armed officers were called up in London and other cities after the Westminster attack in March and the Berlin attack in December. The threat from international terrorism in the UK remains “severe” – as it has been since August 2014 – meaning an attack is highly likely.
- ^ bomb attack killed 22 people at a concert at the arena. (news.sky.com)
- ^ Live updates – Manchester attack (news.sky.com)
- ^ Security services think they know who bomber is (news.sky.com)
- ^ Manchester Arena witness: ‘It was absolute carnage’ (news.sky.com)
Our thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the events in Manchester and our deepest condolences are with the families and friends of those who tragically lost their lives.
Dorset Police stand with Greater Manchester Police and other forces across the country . Public safety is our priority and we have a variety of established operational tactics that are regularly used to ensure that our local communities and businesses are both well prepared and protected.
Our aim is to reduce the risk to the public and maximise public awareness . As is normal practice, we are in touch with national anti-terrorism coordinators.
this time there has been no change to the threat level in the UK but this is reviewed on a national basis and Dorset Police will, if necessary, respond accordingly . We regularly review intelligence and information and would like to reassure the public that at this time there is no specific threat to Dorset . The public should be alert but not alarmed.
The advice remains the same members of the public should always remain alert to the danger of terrorism and report any suspicious activity to police on 999 or the anti-terrorist hotline 0800 789 321.