Terror fears have led to a security barrier to be installed outside one of the north s most recognisable landmarks.
A protective barrier made up of 12 security blocks will be put up in front of York Minster this week on advice of the Counter Terrorism1 Unit. Popular with Teessiders, especially for shopping trips and pub crawls in the run up to Christmas, York is one of the most popular tourism hotspots in the north. But in light of the horrific attacks on Manchester and London, the cathedral s governing body the Chapter of York has taken the decision to up security.
The Dean of York, the Very Reverend Dr Vivienne Faull said: The national terror threat level has been at severe for many months and is likely to remain so for some time to come.
Some experts within the UK s security community believe that we are facing a generational problem which may last for 20 or 30 years.
The appalling attacks in Manchester and London earlier this year have required all those responsible for the security of nationally important buildings, monuments and public spaces to reassess, review and constantly refine their arrangements for keeping people safe.
Chapter has been concerned about the potential vulnerability of the area around the Minster s West End for some time.
The clear recommendation from the Counter Terrorism Unit required urgent and decisive action and will form a visible deterrent at the front of the Minster .
We have a clear duty of care to everyone who visits York Minster and we will do everything we can to ensure that our worshippers and visitors feel safe and secure when they are here, Rev d Dr Faull continued.
Approved by the Home Office and tested by the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI), the 12 blocks will form a substantial barrier . New flag stones will be cut and set around the edges of each block . No archaeology will be disturbed by the installation.
The blocks are already in use at a number of high profile locations around the country including the Tower of London.
The security barrier is a temporary measure: the blocks can and will be removed if the security situation improves in the future.
A heroic security guard dragged a woman to safety just SECONDS before her car was turned into a gigantic fireball. Brave Adam Sharman, 26, from Stoke, has revealed how he came to the rescue of the woman in Staffordshire last week. The security worker was heading home from his work in a JCB when he came across the two-vehicle crash.
Adam and another passing motorist realised a woman was trapped inside her burning vehicle. Within seconds, the heroic pair managed to open the crumbled door. They pulled the woman out to safety while her vehicle was engulfed in flames.
Adam, of Stoke, said: When I stopped you could see the smoke.
“I got out and there was a smashed up Citreon Saxo.
“I could hear the woman screaming.
“She was stuck behind the steering wheel and the chassis was all crumpled.
“The engine was on fire and we had to bend the car s door frame because it wouldn t open.
The flames started to get bigger so we decided just to take an arm each and kept dragging her back the car then completely went up in flames.
“We took her quite far back but you could still feel the heat.
Police swooped on the scene, along with fire crews and an ambulance. Officers attended Cheadle Road at around 10.15pm on Friday (November 3). The woman was then taken to hospital after suffering serious injuries to her legs.
But Adam believes it could have been a lot worse had he and the other motorist not stopped.
He added: If it was someone I cared about I hope someone would do the same thing.
“I always try to help out.
“I thought to myself afterwards that had we have been there just five minutes later it could have been horrific.
“Luckily we were able to get her out.
Throughout the incident Adam kept his bosses at JCB up-to-date. He said: I was updating work anyway so they knew what was happening but I asked if they could use my GPS location and send all of the emergency services.
They arrived shortly afterwards but by this time it was enough for the car to have up in flames.
Click to play Tap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel
PC Dave Stubbs, from Staffordshire Police, was one of the police officers who attended the crash between the Saxo and a Land Rover. He said: In my view these people saved her life.
“They came across the collision and within seconds sprang into action and pulled her from the car.
A gang of masked raiders wielding CROWBARS raided a security van – escaping on foot with thousands of pounds in cash.
The men – all wearing masks – struck at the High Street branch at around 4.20am on Wednesday, escaping with three cash boxes believed to contain several thousands of pounds. Detectives have launched an investigation into the robbery and have confirmed no one was injured in the early-morning raid. The area was cordoned off for a number of hours following the incident.
Police at the scene of a security van raid on High Street, Coleshill
And a picture from the scene showed police tape surrounding a G4S security van. Det Sgt Carl Buckle, of Nuneaton CID said: A thorough investigation has been launched following this incident, and we are thankful that nobody was injured.
The four men are believed to have left on foot, but a vehicle was heard in the area at the time.
We are appealing for any witnesses or anybody who may have seen the vehicle being driven suspiciously in the area to contact us on 101, quoting incident number 32 of November 1. Details can also be passed on to officers via the Crimestoppers hotline, which is free to call from a landline and confidential on 0800 555 111, or using the anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.