Two robbers attacked a security guard then stole a cash box in a broad daylight robbery outside a Staffordshire supermarket. The attackers struck just before 10am on Monday morning outside Morrisons supermarket in Milestone Way, Burntwood. A G4S security guard was attacked by two men who then made off in a white Ford CMAX car.
The guard was not injured in the attack and the cash box was discovered close by on a traffic island and had been emptied of its contents.
Morrisons in Burntwood. (Image: Google Maps)
Police say the Ford CMAX, which was stolen over the weekend from the West Midlands area, was found abandoned in nearby Juniper Close. The offenders then made off on foot towards Hawthorne Crescent and are believed to have made their escape in a silver or grey vehicle driven by another suspect. Two men involved in the robbery are described as white, in their late 30s or early 40s and both were wearing dark clothing .
One of the men also wore a high-visibility vest.
A Ford CMAX siilar to the one reported stolen.
Detective Inspector Steve Chadwick said: This robbery appears to have been well planned and took place in broad daylight outside a busy supermarket.
Anyone who witnessed the robbery or has any information that could help with our investigation is asked to call 101 quoting incident number 200 of 6 November .
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
POLICE are remaining tight lipped over security arrangements for a high profile inquest into the sudden and suspicious death of a Barrow baby. The inquiry to establish how 13-month-old tot Poppi Worthington died is finally set to be heard from November 27 following a string of postponements and delays. But Cumbria Constabulary will not disclose whether they are set to provide extra protection for Poppi’s father; Paul Worthington – the man said by a High Court judge to have seriously sexually assaulted the youngster in the moments before her collapse.
Lawyers for the 49-year-old – a former Tesco supermarket worker – have claimed he now receives death threats on a ‘daily basis’. They had requested he be allowed to give evidence via videolink in a bid to ensure his safety. But the constabulary has refused to confirm whether the location has been inspected by officers ahead of the inquest – or whether Mr Worthington will be afforded additional security during the proceedings.
In response to a request submitted under the Freedom of Information Act, the force has stated it can neither ‘confirm or deny that it holds the information’ sought. Additionally, the Legal Aid Agency has confirmed the final amount set to be awarded to Mr Worthington is still not decided with less than a month to go before the inquest begins. The money will be used to pay for a high ranking barrister, expected to be Leslie Thomas QC, and a legal team.
Mr Worthington’s application for funding was turned down three times between 2015 and 2017 before eventually being granted under an ‘exceptional circumstances’ appeal. But a spokesman for the Legal Aid Agency, which refused to divulge the reason for each of the refusals, said: “I can confirm that legal aid has been granted for the representation of Paul Worthington at the upcoming inquest you refer to.
“However, the matter is still pending and so no costs have as yet been billed under this certificate.”
Tragic Poppi was found collapsed overnight at her Barrow home in December 2012 by Mr Worthington . She died soon after. No official cause of death has ever been recorded.
Well documented failings in the way the case was investigated by Cumbria police meant vital evidence was not secured, no formal interviews took place for ten months and no-one has ever been formally charged. Cumbria County Council, which failed to adequately protect Poppi’s siblings, then sought a High Court injunction to keep the whole matter secret for more than two decades. However the injunction was later overturned by a group of media organisations including CN Group.
In January 2016, Mr Justice Jackson concluded on balance of probability the youngster had been seriously sexually assaulted by Mr Worthington before her death. Mr Worthington has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to his daughter. The inquest is expected to last three weeks and will be heard by chief coroner for Cumbria, David Roberts.
It follows an ‘irregular’ first inquest in 2014 which lasted just seven minutes, heard no evidence and was eventually quashed by the High Court. Since then, a fresh inquiry into Poppi’s death has been cancelled at the last minute on two further occasions. The first was postponed to allow the little girl’s mother to seek a review of evidence held on the case by the Crown Prosecution Service.
A later hearing was delayed by Mr Worthington after he was granted legal aid just days before the complicated process was due to start.
:: Poppi was a 13-month old baby who lived in Barrow with her parents and siblings.
:: In December 2013, she was found collapsed at home by her father Paul and taken to Furness General Hospital by ambulance . She was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.
:: A Home Office pathologist reported Poppi had sustained internal injuries before she died consistent with sexual abuse . However a formal cause of death has not been ascertained.
:: A High Court judge ruled that on balance of probability, Mr Worthington had sexually assaulted his daughter in the moments before her collapse.
:: Mr Worthington denies any wrongdoing.
:: An inquest is a legal hearing that establishes basic facts about an unexpected death.
:: These include who the person was, where they died and how they died.
:: The circumstances leading to the death are also uncovered.
:: It is presided over by a coroner.
:: A High Court judge ruled Mr Worthington had attacked his daughter before she died on balance of probability – the threshold required in civil court cases.
:: But Police failings in the case mean the case cannot be tested in the criminal courts.
:: Cumbria County Council bosses later tried to keep the case secret with a High Court super-injunction.
:: This will be the second inquest for Poppi . In a highly unusual move, the first hearing, held at Barrow Town Hall in 2014, was overturned after it was deemed ‘irregular’.
A security guard at a Burntwood supermarket was attacked by robbers who then stole a cash box. Staffordshire Police told the Lichfield Mercury that officers were called just before 10am on Monday (November 6) reporting the robbery at Morrisons supermarket in Milestone Way, Burntwood. The guard was not injured in the attack.
The robbery happened at Morrisons in Milestone Way, Burntwood. (Image: Google)
Two men suspected to be involved in the robbery are described as white, in their late 30s or early 40s, and both wearing dark clothing . One of the men also wore a high-visibility vest. The police spokesman told the Mercury: “A G4S security guard was attacked outside the store by a man who stole a cash box and made off with others in a white Ford CMAX car.
“The cash box was discovered close by on a traffic island and had been emptied of its contents.
“The Ford CMAX, which was stolen over the weekend from the West Midlands area, was found abandoned in nearby Juniper Close.
“The offenders then made off on foot towards Hawthorne Crescent and are believed to have made their escape in a silver or grey vehicle driven by another suspect.”
Police have not confirmed how much money was taken.
Anyone who witnessed the robbery or has any information that could help with the investigation is asked to call police on 101 quoting incident number 200 of November 6.
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.