There will be increased security measures including search points at Gloucester’s Kingsholm stadium this weekend. The increased security measures will mean a full road closure from 2pm on Saturday in Kingsholm Road, prior to the Sale Sharks match. Those with parking permits to park at the ground are asked to ensure that they arrive in good time prior to the closure being put in place.
Those using the Park and Ride service are advised that this service will drop supporters in Worcester Street by the bridge to allow the bus to return up Black Dog Way and return to the Park and Ride point . It will also collect from this point after the game. Supporters are also advised that there is also a Search Regime at all access points to the ground, so the club wishes to ask all supporters to ensure that they arrive in sufficient time to allow security staff time to carry out these measures. Gloucester Rugby would like to thank all concerned for their co-operation at this time. The Gloucester-Sale Sharks game kicks off at 3pm.
- ^ Gloucester stars to give ‘exclusive insight’ at club evening (www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk)
- ^ POLL: Choose your Gloucester XV to face Sale (www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk)
Football bosses say security around all Champions League matches is at the maximum after a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund team was hit by explosions on its way to a match.
The incidents occurred as the squad left their hotel en route to the Signal Iduna Park stadium for the first leg of the quarter-final tie, which was swiftly postponed. Defender Marc Bartra has undergone surgery on his arm after being injured in the explosions . A bone in his arm was broken and debris lodged in his hand.
The Champions League final is being held in Cardiff on June 3.
South Wales Police2 have said that the security operation is unprecedented . On Wednesday spokesmen for both Uefa and South Wales Police said the security operation ahead of the showpiece final has been going on for months and is already at its maximum.
A window of Dortmund’s team bus was damaged in the explosions Marc Bartra
South Wales Police staff will be joined by officers from all other Welsh forces to police the event. On the day of the final 1,500 officers will be in the city including armed patrols.
They have had 25 officers working on the planning for the event full-time so far and that number will be doubled as it draws nearer. There will be huge security measures in the city in the build-up to the event.
In the wake of the Borussia Dortmund bus bombings Superintendent Steve Furnham from South Wales Police said: The events in Germany yesterday are being fully investigated by the German authorities and we cannot speculate on the matter.
Detailed safety and security planning and preparation for the Uefa Champions League Finals in Cardiff has been going ahead for many months.
Measures will be taken to restrict vehicular access to a number of areas within Cardiff.
Police officers and firefighters stand outside the Dortmund team bus after it was damaged
We are working with our partners here in South Wales as well as with other security forces across the country to ensure a safe and secure environment for the finals in June. The UK Government has given a 1.4m grant to South Wales Police towards funding the extra costs.
Uefa competitions director Giorgio Marchetti told the BBC: The security risk, I think, is the top priority element which is included in the preparation of the matches.
So for me as far we at Uefa know all security arrangements which are done by the clubs and the local police wherever a match is played is already at the maximum and all possible risks are taken into consideration.
The Borussia Dortmund match has been rescheduled for Wednesday night. Mr Marchetti said that arrangements at the Westfalenstadion were being reviewed.
It s clear in light of what happened yesterday at the other venues which are concerned today measures are being currently reviewed and stepped up wherever and whenever is needed, he said.
German police are investigating an Islamist link to the bomb attack on the bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund3 football team last night, a report from the AFP news agency says. According to several local media outlets – S ddeutschern Zeitung, the NDR and the WDR – the one page letter begins: In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
The document is also claimed to refer to the attack on the Berlin Christmas market in December – and is also said to claim that German airplanes are involved in assassinating Muslims in the Caliphate of the Islamic State . One German newspaper says the letter claims the attack was aimed at the team because of the Syrian mission – which has resulted in sportsmen and other celebrities in Germany and other Crusading nations being put on a death list of the Islamic State. It goes on to claim the letter demands an immediate withdrawal of the (German air force) Bundeswehr Tornadoes from Syria as well as the closure of the American air base in Ramstein in Germany.
Controversial drone operations against alleged terrorists in the Middle East are controlled from the base.
A Dulcote2 man who threw several fireworks, hitting a quarry security guard with one, and then attacked his van before stabbing him on the finger with a metal centre punch has been given a conditional discharge by magistrates. Christopher Randle had been drinking when he launched the attack claiming he was fed up with workers from the quarry constantly tooting their horns as they drove past his caravan. The victim was shocked when he heard the first firework going over the top of his van, and when he got out to see what was happening a second one was set off and hit him on the right side of his body.
When the defendant later returned holding a metal object he hit out with it, connecting with the security guard’s hand causing an injury to his finger.
Randle, 50, of Bishops Park Way, pleaded guilty to assaulting Gavin Molloy by beating him and causing damage to his Iphone at Dulcote on March 13 when he appeared before the court5 at Yeovil6. Emma Lenanton, prosecuting, said that Mr Molloy was working as a security guard at a quarry near Wells when he was approached by Randle at the main gate and a verbal disagreement took place between them. “A short time later the victim was sat in his van when he saw a firework go over the top of his vehicle so he got out and saw Randle stood in the direction it had come from,” she said.
“A second firework was set off which hit Mr Molloy on the right hand side of his body but no injury was caused, and it then hit the back of his van so he got back inside and locked the door. “Randle walked towards the door and tried to open it and then started kicking and banging the window before walking away.” The defendant then returned and went back to the driver’s door and the victim could see he had a metal object in his hand and he started to hit the window with it.
Mr Molloy called his manager who rang the police and he then got out of the van and could see Randle still had the object.
He had his Iphone in his hand and the defendant then hit out with the centre punch, connecting with the victim’s hand and finger and causing his phone to be knocked onto the ground cracking the screen. The victim’s manager arrived at the scene and assisted him in restraining Randle, removing the metal object, and the police then arrived and arrested him. During interview the defendant said he had taken co-codamol and drunk around eight pints of cider and was heavily under the influence of alcohol.
“He said it did it just for fun and told the police he was simply trying to wind the security guard up,” added Miss Lenanton. In a statement made by Mr Molloy he said that his finger was still sore a few days after the incident and he had to pay 150 for a new screen for his Iphone. Randle told the court that he had got a bit drunk and the offence was just “stupidity”.
He said: “The security guards had been tooting their horns at me on a previous occasion and I was just too drunk and got stupid and wound him up to have a bit of fun, however I understand it’s serious,” he said.
“I want to apologise as I was being very silly and it is all a bit vague as I have a bit of an alcohol problem. “I live in a caravan round the corner from the quarry and three cars have been tooting their horns at me and were winding me up, so I wound them up after finding a few fireworks I had left over from Christmas.” The magistrates imposed a six month conditional discharge on Randle and ordered him to pay 150 compensation to Mr Molloy for the damage to his phone along with 85 costs and an 85 victim surcharge.
- ^ Comments (0) (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ Dulcote (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ Somerset (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ Who has been in court in Somerset this week: murder, animal cruelty and sex offences cases (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ court (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ Yeovil (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ Phillip Cullen avoids prison after killing endangered species in Somerset and Gloucestershire (www.somersetlive.co.uk)
- ^ Man wanted in connection with large fight in Weston-super-Mare that left man with head injuries (www.somersetlive.co.uk)