Extra security has been introduced to Kings Heath Dining Club this weekend. The monthly event, which takes place in York Road, will also charge customers an entrance fee for the first time.
The event requires the closure of York Road where it meets Kings Heath1 High Street next to the Hare & Hounds pub which organises the day. The pub s website says: There will be a slight change in the layout of the event.
Despite our best efforts to avoid this, recent consultations with local businesses and residents raised a number of concerns including people drinking outside the footprint of the event and making certain businesses feel uncomfortable about the potential for antisocial behaviour.
Street food on York Road in Kings Heath (Image: Graham Young)
This has resulted in the decision to reduce the size of the closure with the new layout going no further than the Relax & Comfort furniture shop, fully fenced all the way around with stewards/security at each end.
This combined with the recent increase in street closure costs passed on by Birmingham City Council will result in a small entry fee of 1.50 for adults (kids still free) with 50p from each payment going to a local Kings Heath charity.
Taking place from 11am to 6pm on Sunday, July 16, with resident DJs adding to the atmosphere, traders being advertised include Handmade Pizza Co, Platinum Pancakes, Homeboys, Bare Bones Churro, English Indian, Low n Slow2 , Baked in Brick3 , Fancy Fries, Canoodle, Habanero, Bee-Fest Italian and Smoqued.
A Waffle van on York Road (Image: Graham Young)
Because new rules are set to apply to public events from August 1, it has not yet been decided whether the next Kings Heath Dining Club will go ahead in August.
Earlier this week it seemed as if the now annual event would be moving from York Road to the Parade car park off the High Street due to public security and fire safety concerns.
View from upstairs at the Hare & Hounds during the 2015 Kings Heath Street Festival (Image: Graham Young)
Following comments from business owners and residents, the Kings Heath BID is currently reconsidering all options with the safety changes from August 1 also in mind.
PC Andy Collis (0094) with Caydon Madden (five, left) and brother Charlie Madden (four) on York Road in 2015 (Image: Graham Young)
Even if the September Street Festival stays on York Road, we are still keen to have similar events in other parts of Kings Heath, such as The Parade, the Village Square and even using our two schools Bishop Challoner Secondary School6 and Kings Heath Primary.
A FOOTBALL club is to increase security after a break-in attempt over the Easter weekend.
The ‘mindless’ vandals damaged eight windows in an attempt to get into Haslingden St Mary’s FC club house on Saturday night.
Apart from smashing a clock and picking up a few empty water bottles, they left empty-handed.
Club bosses said they were now planning to brick up the windows and install extra CCTV in a bid to deter future attempts.
Anthony Fitzjohn, secretary of the Shore Street club, said: “It was an attempted break-in . Thankfully they did not get in.
“They came round and tried all eight windows but we have got bars across them.
“Every window has been badly damaged.”
The windows are made of perspex so the attempted thieves smashed round the outside and pushed them open – damaging them beyond repair.
“They managed to put their hands in and took a clock and empty water bottles . The clock had been smashed on the floor,” he said.
“It is mindless really.”
He said the attempt had caused a couple of thousand pounds worth of damage and there were now plans to replace the windows with bricks.
“We will have to increase our security after this .
That is all we can do – keep chipping away.
“We will have to remove the windows and brick them up which is another expense . We just can’t risk it anymore.
“We are very fortunate . We had a narrow escape really . It was all set up for a christening on Sunday and that was able to go ahead as normal thankfully.”
Mr Fitzjohn said the club had been broken into in the past, however there have been no recent incidents.
“We used to have roof lights but we did away with those . It was shocking .
They would come in and drop down 15 to 18ft and just trash the place and take alcohol from the bar.
“We have CCTV but it is inside and on the front so we are looking at getting more cameras.”
He added it was business as usual with functions going ahead and the first team, who are currently top of division one in the West Lancs league, playing a match on Easter Monday.
Spurs take action against lax steward caught skimping on his security checks ahead of Bournemouth clash
In the wake of the Dortmund bus attack3, security has been stepped up at football grounds across Europe. But the contractor was filmed by one pundit making only the most token of efforts to search fans prior to their entry into White Hart Lane. After the video was posted to Twitter, Spurs quickly responded with a statement that revealed the steward in question was actually a contractor and not a direct employee of the club’s.
The steward appears to search fans without touching them before they enter the stadium (Photo: Twitter/Mr_CallumWright) Security steward at Tottenham appears to search fans without touching them before they enter the stadium (Photo: Twitter/Mr_CallumWright)
“The contractor has apologised and we’ve taken action accordingly,” said the club.
There was a fierce backlash against the steward, who was accused of a serious lack of ‘professionalism’ and ‘laziness’ in the manner with which he carried out his duties. However, many also criticised the original poster of the video, suggesting he should have contacted the club in a more private manner. Security around football matches has been back in the spotlight following the bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus that ocurred on April 12th, ahead of their Champions League clash with Monaco, which was subsequently postponed by 24 hours.
Security has been back in the spotlight following April 12th’s attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus (Photo: AFP) That attack left defender Marc Bartra in hospital with a broken wrist (Photo: Instagram/marcbartra)
While no one was seriously harmed in the incident, it did leave defender Marc Bartra in hospital with a broken wrist.
German investigators are currently investigating several lines of inquiry, with numerous far right extremist groups taking responsibility for the attack.
Do you feel safe attending Premier League matches?
0+ VOTES SO FAR
Yes No I don’t know