The man suspected of deliberately driving a van into a crowd outside a mosque in north London was unknown to security forces, it has been confirmed, as local communities pay tribute to the one person dead and 10 injured after the crash. Police are treating the incident, which took place as worshippers were leaving the mosque in Finsbury Park just after midnight on Monday, as a terror attack1 the third such atrocity to hit the capital in recent months after vehicles were used to mow down pedestrians in Westminster and on London Bridge. Security minister Ben Wallace said the driver, named as 47-year-old Darren Osborne2 from Cardiff, was not known to the authorities in the space of extremism or far-right extremism . He is believed to have acted alone.
Osborne was originally arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, but he is now also facing charges relating to the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism . Police are investigating whether the victim died as a result of the attack or a separate health emergency, as he was already receiving first aid outside the mosque at the time. Theresa May said the Government will review security at mosques across Britain, vowing that hatred and evil of this kind will never succeed . Outside Downing Street, the Prime Minister said the attack on Muslims near their place of worship was every bit as sickening as those which have come before .
Extra police resources have already been deployed to reassure communities, and the police will continue to assess the security needs of Mosques and provide any additional resources needed, especially during this final week before Eid Al-Fitr, a particularly important time for the whole Muslim community, she said.
There has been far too much tolerance of extremism in our country over many years and that means extremism of any kind, including Islamophobia . That is why this Government will act to stamp out extremist and hateful ideology both across society and on the internet, so it is denied a safe space to grow.
Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have contrasting receptions at Finsbury Park mosque visits
Home Secretary Amber Rudd said: My thoughts are with all those affected by the appalling incident at Finsbury Park.
I am in contact with the Metropolitan Police who have confirmed it is being investigated by their Counter Terrorism Command.
We must all continue to stand together, resolute, against all those who try to divide us and spread hate and fear. Labour’s shadow home secretary Diane Abbott, whose Hackney North and Stoke Newington constituency lies close to the scene, called for police to review security at mosques. She tweeted: Terror attack outside #FinsburyPark mosque . Police must urgently review security for all mosques #StandTogether.
Green Party co-leader Caroline Lucas said her thoughts were with the community and emergency services, adding: We will not be divided. Ms May met faith leaders at Finsbury Park Mosque the afternoon after the attack, but faced heckles as she left the building . Crowds shouted Have you got a faster taxi today ? and how can you be so quick today? , a criticism of her response to last week s devastating fire at Grenfell Tower in west London, in which 79 people are presumed dead.
At around 12.20am, a speeding white van swerved into people gathered outside the Muslim Welfare House mosque on Seven Sisters Road . Eight people were taken to hospital and two were treated at the scene . All the victims were Muslim. Abdul Rashid, 18, who witnessed the aftermath of the attack, described the driver as desensitised and said he wasn’t distressed, not in the slightest . He told The Independent it appeared the suspect knew exactly what he was doing .
When people were holding him down he was saying ‘you can kill me, I’ve done my job’ . He was saying he had come here to kill Muslims, said Mr Rashid .
He looked blank . You could tell he didn’t care . It was 100 per cent deliberate. Searches are being carried out at a residential address in Cardiff in condition with the mosque attack, according to the Metropolitan Police . Images of the van used in the attack showed it was rented from Pontyclun Van Hire, around 12 miles west of Cardiff.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the capital would stay strong in the difficult period and not allow these terrorists to succeed.
While this appears to be an attack on a particular community, like the terrible attacks in Manchester, Westminster and London Bridge, it is also an assault on all our shared values of tolerance, freedom and respect, he said. There has been a reported surge in hate crime against Muslims in Britain following the London attacks carried out by Islamist extremists and a suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena on May 22 that killed 22 people, almost half of whom were aged under 20. The week after the Manchester attack, which was claimed by Isis, verified reports of Islamophobic hate crimes increased more than fivefold, according to the organisation Tell Mama, which monitors anti-Muslim hatred in Britain.
In the seven days after the London Bridge attack on 3 June, there was a 240 per cent rise in reported hate crimes, said the charity . Figures from City Hall also show a sharp rise in anti-Muslim incidents after three attackers hit pedestrians on the bridge before launching a knife attack on people in bars and restaurants in nearby Borough Market. An imam reportedly saved the van driver involved in the suspected Finsbury Park attack from being attacked by members of the public in the immediate aftermath of the crash . One witness said the furious crowd might have injured or killed Osborne were it not for the intervention of Mohammed Mahmoud. An eyewitness who gave his name as Abdul told The Independent Osborne tried to run away but we brought him down .
He would’ve died because so many people were punching him but the imam came out and said ‘No more punching, let’s keep him down until the police come’. Community groups and charities have condemned the attack, warning against entering a cycle of tit-for-tat violence that is the goal of extremists . In a statement, the organisation Hope Not Hate said we must oppose far-right extremism with the same intensity that we oppose Islamist extremism – a plague on both their houses is our call, as we said back in 2013 after the murder of Lee Rigby.
The review is being conducted in partnership with the research company Pye Tait, and will look at all aspects of the scheme. Your participation in this review is important because this is your opportunity to shape the future of the ACS and ensure it remains relevant for the private security industry in the years ahead. The review will include:
- Benefits – A review of the benefits that the scheme can bring to its members
- Recognition – Ensure ACS members get proper recognition for meeting high standards
- A new standard – ensure that the new standard remains fit for purpose and reflects emerging best practice
- Scheme operation ensuring that the assessment process, customer service and how the scheme works are fair and efficient
Tony Holyland, Head of Quality and Standards, said:
The ACS scheme has transformed the industry and we want it to continue to drive up standards. The ACS review will ensure the scheme continues to be relevant and reflects new thinking and emerging best practice for security businesses. We want to hear from all stakeholders from across the industry; ACS companies, non-ACS companies and buyers of security. We want to know what you think should change and this review is an opportunity for the industry to shape the future of the scheme.
The results of the ACS review will help to identify ways in which the SIA can drive improvement in the private security industry – and, crucially, allow ACS businesses to differentiate themselves within the market. It is important that ACS businesses get commercial benefit for meeting high standards, and the review will look at how best to give buyers even greater confidence in the scheme. Ensuring that as many stakeholders as possible take part in the scheme will ensure that the ACS is value to the industry, buyers and the wider community.
To take part in the review, please complete this survey. The survey will take 10 to 15 minutes. Your views will be treated in confidence by Pye Tait Consulting, and reported anonymously to the SIA.
- The Approved Contractor Scheme is voluntary and exists to raise performance standards. To be an Approved Contractor a business needs to meet a sector-specific approval based on a relevant set of qualifying criteria that is independently assessed.
- You can find out more by visiting the ACS Review portal: www.pyetait.com/ACSReview
- The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry in the United Kingdom, reporting to the Home Secretary under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001.
The SIA’s main duties are: the compulsory licensing of individuals undertaking designated activities; and managing the voluntary Approved Contractor Scheme.
- For further information about the Security Industry Authority or to sign up for email updates visit www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk.
Guy Henderson, CEO of Ascot, says racegoers will experience “extensive bag, dog and physical searches” at the annual event. The race meeting is attended by The Queen2 and senior members of the royal family every day. In a statement he also warned that there will be a “stronger armed and uniformed police presence.”
The new measures have been introduced because he says the safety of revellers is paramount.
Royal Ascot: racegoers will see an increased security presence (Julian Herbert/Getty Images)
In a statement Mr . Henderson said, “There will be more extensive dog, bag and physical search procedures for everyone at all the racecourse entrances and you will notice a stronger armed and uniformed police presence throughout the site and the vicinity.
“The safety of all our racegoers is paramount and you can be assured that the racecourse works extremely closely at all times with the Police, the Security Services and our specialist advisers in implementing the appropriate security measures for your protection.”
He added: “It is inevitable that access to the racecourse this year will take longer.
“Please be prepared for this and allow sufficient time . Please also bear in mind that if you exit at any stage, you will need to pass through security to re-enter.”
And he urged racegoers not bring unnecessary bags or luggage into the racecourse. Luggage storage facilities will be provided outside of the course enclosures.
“We ask for your understanding, patience and cooperation with us and that you also inform your guests and party members of this update.
“We also ask for your vigilance on matters of security . If you see or hear anything suspicious, please bring it immediately to the attention of the Police or our Stewards,” Mr Henderson said.
Ascot Racecourse s website will contain updates on security.