Security was the hot topic at a Windsor Town Forum meeting last night (Wednesday). Residents and representatives from the Royal Borough attended the forum at Windsor Guildhall. RBWM s head of planning David Scott updated the meeting on safety barriers in the town centre.
Temporary barriers were put up around Windsor Castle in March after a terror attack at Westminster where five pedestrians were killed when a car ploughed into them. They are currently in six locations around the Changing the Guard route and permanent measures are due to be installed. Two or three other locations have also been identified which could have barriers installed.
Mr Scott said the new barriers will bring the same level of security as the temporary ones, creating a ring around the guard route.
They will significantly reduce the risk of a vehicle being able to attack crowds or military personnel, he added. He said TVP and the Royal Borough are working with an external company to come up with plans for an integrated street scene solution which are due to be reviewed this month. The permanent aesthetically pleasing and strong barriers are expected fit in more with the street scene and not affect parking on the road.
Chairman of the forum, Cllr Jack Rankin (Con, Castle Without), said: It is good to hear that the permanent solution won t look as out of place in conservation areas as the temporary. Town centre manager Paul Roach said rules about what shops can do when the Changing the Guard takes place have also changed. Before increased security measures were introduced, cars could park within the cordon and make deliveries to shops.
Now this is not possible from 10.30am-11.30am on days the ceremony takes place. With heightened security in the town, some residents raised concerns about how safe the building site at York House will be while it is being redeveloped. Resident Robert Muir said: You are making a construction site in one of the most security sensitive places in Windsor, they will be within feet of the troops.
The council building in Sheet Street is opposite the army s Victoria Barracks.
You are building an extra floor with a garden on top that will look straight down into the barracks . Has the MOD (Ministry of Defence) been consulted? RBWM s property service lead Rob Large told the meeting he had the same concerns and met with the barracks and a senior police officer who are happy with it .
Strict security measures are likely to remain for the third of a series of gigs at Slessor Gardens, organisers say. A heavy police presence was in place as 11,000 fans watched Little Mix at the venue on Thursday. Along with armed officers patrolling the area, fans were warned to expect searches and urged to leave bags at home where possible.
Some revellers claimed afterwards that security at entry points had been lax. However, Sarah Craig the council s city centre manager insisted security had been tight, and believes that ll be the case at Olly Murs show on July 20, despite Thursday s event going without any safety issues. She told the Tele: There were no issues of items being found, but bags were searched thoroughly and persons were being searched . We take our real-time intelligence from the police at the time and factor that into the events, given the current climate over the UK and further afield.
We take guidance from police and factor into our plans accordingly . Given that Olly Murs is only four weeks away I would anticipate the same level of searches, but that could be subject to change.
Otherwise, Ms Craig said there were no major plans to change arrangements for next month s concert. A small number of people complained about drunken behaviour, traffic jams and smaller fans being unable to see the stage, in the wake of the event. But Ms Craig said it was up to revellers and bar staff to be responsible , but added there had been no major issues caused by alcohol.
Regarding visibility, she urged fans to check the details of planned events as Little Mix was always advertised as being standing-only adding that most young fans seemed to be loving it on Thursday. Regarding local road closures, she said: We slightly tweaked the traffic between the UB40 concert and Little Mix . Yes, there were some delays in the immediate area, but we got the traffic flowing quite well, and there was no significant feedback or complaints about the hold-ups.
She also praised the promoters and Little Mix for engaging with local businesses after the group were spotted staying at the nearby Malmaison hotel.
Police will continually review security arrangements for Thursday s upcoming Little Mix concert up until the show begins, according to police chiefs. Armed police are expected throughout the city on the day of the concert, but Chief Inspector Nicola Russell said gig attendees should not be alarmed at the sight of officers with weapons. Ms Russell did not have a figure on the number of armed police which could be in attendance, and advised fans to arrive in plenty1 of time for the concert and to allow time for pick-up also.
Chief Inspector Nicola Russell, Dundee s Local Policing Area Commander.
Thursday s sell-out concert will see 11,000 music fans descend on Slessor Gardens and despite the poor weather forecast, expectations are high the show will be a success for the city. Although no figure has been finalised, the series of summer concerts which kicked off in May with reggae-rockers UB402 will bring in millions of pounds for the city s economy, according to city centre manager Sarah Craig. Extra security arrangements have been put in place as a result of the increased threat of terrorist related activity, with all bags being brought into the venue due to be searched.
Organisers have advised gig-goers to only bring a bag if it is really necessary, to help alleviate possible delays as a result of extra security searches.
Chief Inspector Nicola Russell, Dundee s Local Policing Area Commander, and Dundee City Council s City Centre Manager Sarah Craig.
Chief Inspector Russell said: Our security plans for this Thursday s concert are continually under review and will remain so until the concert takes place.
We will be taking into account factors including weather and traffic and we have a dedicated event team, with a dedicated event commander who will work closely with our security partners.
There are armed police in the city at the time of the event, but if you do see them do not be alarmed . They are their for your safety, and our prime objective will be to see people arrive at the concert safely and remain safe.
This is a massive event for the city and we want people to have a good time . We are here to look after people and make sure everyone remains safe.
If anyone has any worries or concerns, then I would say for them to approach officers on the day and make them aware.
There will be extra security throughout the event, including at the collection points, so make sure and give yourself extra time to reach the pick up points.