Rwanda’s Paul Kagame, Senegal’s Macky Sall, Mali’s Ibrahima Boubacar Keita and the president of the Commission of African Union Moussa Faki Mahamat are urging Africa to be more proactive in shaping the continent’s peace and security framework
African leaders on Monday used a regional forum to underline the need for the continent to assure its own security after years of Western interventions, while also calling for international funding to support the anti-terror fight.. The annual Dakar International Forum on Peace and Security this year brings together the presidents of Mali, Rwanda and host Senegal along with military officials and experts to discuss Africa’s serious challenges in the sector. In an opening address, Senegal’s President Macky Sall said a “military response must be comprehensive, and one of solidarity, to leave terrorist groups no place to hide.
“The risk today is seeing terrorists defeated elsewhere seeking fallback zones in Africa,” Sall added.
The vast Sahel region, stretching from Senegal to Sudan, has turned into a hotbed of lawlessness since chaos engulfed Libya in 2011, Islamists overran northern Mali in 2012 and Boko Haram rose up in northern Nigeria. Beyond the Sahel, the Shabaab, a militant group aligned with Al-Qaeda, regularly carries out suicide bombings in its bid to overthrow Somalia’s internationally-backed government, while civil conflicts in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic and South Sudan blight the continent. Sall pointed to the Western intervention in Libya as an example of why African populations had to be involved in decisions on rooting out terror groups, as the north African nation’s instability has fuelled conflict elsewhere.
“We must beware of preconceived solutions formulated without Africans,” Sall said. “The consequences of these interventions, which we are living in the Sahel, are often worse than what they were supposed to rectify.”
– Sahal force funding –
The forum follows the recent launch of the G5 Sahel force, an anti-jihadist military initiative working across Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger to counter the significant threat Al-Qaeda-linked groups pose in the region and to stop the Islamic State group from gaining a foothold. The world’s newest joint international force, the five-nation G5 Sahel plans to number up to 5,000 military, police and civilian troops by March 2018. French Defence Minister Florence Parly described the G5 force as “a success”, though Moussa Faki Mahamat, head of the African Union Commission, said United Nations support was of “the greatest importance” for that initiative, and for another regional deployment in the Lake Chad region against Boko Haram.
France wanted the force to have full UN logistical and financial backing, but the United States argued against the idea, partly on cost grounds. The Dakar Forum is a French-backed initiative, and the European nation retains a heavy military presence across the Sahel. Mahamat, Sall and Mali’s President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita all emphasised that the G5 Sahel force required significant funding from the international community, as current pledges stand at 108 million euros ($126 million) while up to 423 million euros may be required in the first year of its existence.
Paul Kagame, the Rwandan President who will chair the African Union from 2018, said African nations “have only ourselves to blame” if the international community alone decided on the continent’s security needs.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.
Five security guards have been left red faced after a suspected shoplifters 1– who is believed to have raided Poundland – was able to break free from them. Footage of the security team being dragged along the road by the getaway van has now emerged following the incident on Wednesday. The crime which unfolded at around 1pm at Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre left two guards injured.
It is understood the crooks had been chased from discount shop Poundland2, inside the Maple Walk shopping centre, in Solihull. The horrifying footage shows stricken shoppers watching as security guards wrestle a man to the ground outside the centre. One eyewitness told the Birmingham Mail3: Security and a male were involved.
The security guards grapple with the suspect in plain view of a witness who films the incident (Photo: Birmingham Mail WS)
A van sped off, taking security with them and one hit the floor.
The footage, which lasts almost two minutes, begins as two security guards wrestle a man to the floor, next to a white transit van. It is thought one man had already got into the van. Around 30 seconds into the video4 , another three security guards run towards the scene.
But the man on the ground manages to escape the guards and climb into the van as it speeds away, with the door wide open. Two of the guards are still leaning into the passenger side as the van makes off and one is thrown to the ground. Police have confirmed two security guards suffered injuries in the incident.
They are continuing to investigate.
Two security guards have chased suspected shoplifters from Poundland.
Two men have got into a white transit van and driven off.
The security guards have been dragged along the road for a short distance while trying to detain the suspects and suffered minor injuries.
Enquiries are ongoing to try and locate the van.”
Donald Trump has been rushed off stage by his security team at a rally in Reno, Nevada, following a “gun” scare. The US secret service, which provides security for presidential candidates, later said someone in the crowd had shouted “gun” but no weapon was found. Mr Trump returned to continue his speech a short time later, and the suspect wrestled to the ground during the incident and frogmarched from the venue was released. Austyn Crites, who carried out the protest, said: “I am actually a Republican, I just don’t support Donald Trump.” He added: “I am doing what I believe is my democratic duty to show that even though we are from the same party, even though a lot of the things that he says may resonate with a lot of people…I just believe he’s very dangerous for the country.
“I just came with a sign, I literally had one sign that said ‘Republicans against Trump’.”
Mr Trump reappeared just minutes after being bundled from the hall mid-speech by secret service agents, shielding his body with their own. :: Trump: Made In America – a Sky News special programme on the Republican Party candidate – at 4pm on Sunday Shortly before the incident, the 70-year-old Republican tycoon could be seen sheltering his eyes from the lights in order to peer into the crowd. As he was led away there were signs of a scuffle in the audience before police intervened. Mr Crites was held face down on the ground while officers searched him and there was booing as he was led from the venue. Returning to cheers, Mr Trump said: “No one said it was going to be easy for us, but we will never be stopped, never ever be stopped.”
The candidate also thanked the secret service agents. He said: “These guys are fantastic . They don’t get enough credit . They don’t get enough credit .
They are amazing people.” The secret service said in a statement later: “Mr Trump was removed from the stage by his secret service protective detail after a commotion occurred in the crowd. “Immediately in front of the stage, an unidentified individual shouted ‘gun’ . Secret service agents and Reno police officers immediately apprehended the subject. “Upon a thorough search of the subject and the surrounding area, no weapon was found.”
The false scare came Mr Trump and his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton stepped up their campaigns in the countdown to Tuesday’s vote after one of the most bitterly fought and tumultuous presidential races of all time. Mr Trump used his speech in Reno to argue Mrs Clinton should not be allowed to run for president while the FBI continued its investigation into her use of a private email server for work correspondence while she was US secretary of state. He told supporters: “We need a government that can work, and work well from day one for the American people. “That would be impossible with Hillary Clinton, the prime suspect in a massive far-reaching criminal investigation.”
Meanwhile, Mrs Clinton continued her bid to make history by becoming America’s first woman president. She has secured the backing of A-list celebrities to her campaign including Katy Perry, Beyonce and Jay Z.
Perry, wearing a purple cape with the words “I’m with Madam President”, told a rally: “In three days, let’s make history.”
:: Trump vs Clinton on key issues for America
:: What time the polls close and when to expect a result
:: The states that will decide the outcome
:: The Electoral College and how you win a Presidential election34
:: Analysis: How Donald Trump’s bid is similar to Brexit campaign125
- ^ :: Trump vs Clinton on key issues for America (news.sky.com)
- ^ :: What time the polls close and when to expect a result (news.sky.com)
- ^ :: The states that will decide the outcome (news.sky.com)
- ^ :: The Electoral College and how you win a Presidential election (news.sky.com)
- ^ :: Analysis: How Donald Trump’s bid is similar to Brexit campaign (news.sky.com)