Security at Wigan market hall will be increased after yobs caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage to traders stock. Wigan Council has said it has listened to stallholders concerns following an incident last month and has allocated more security staff to cover the busy summer period. Staff at Wigan Sofa Centre were disgusted to find that a group of teens had vandalised a trade stand just minutes after employees left. Outraged, they contacted police but were told that the crime was not a policing priority and that the investigation would not be taken any further. A letter addressed to Janet Ryding, who works at the furniture store, said: We are pro-actively looking to provide protection against child sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, hate crime, high-risk missing from homes, serious sexual offences, critical anti-social behaviour, vulnerability protection, mental health incidents and significantly impactive crimes on victims such as burglary dwelling. This crime would appear to require disproportionate resources to conclude and impacts on ability to investigate other priority crime. Janet said many traders feel they are not safe at work.
The abuse is constant, she said . The costings of retail are hard enough to manage without this . It s becoming a nightmare.
James Morely, another market worker, added: Kids are unchecked, little to no security and what security there is can only do so much. After numerous complaints, the council has said that any extra security will be asked to tighten up safety in the hall. Karl Battersby, director for economy and environment, said: The acts of a small minority of vandals is deeply upsetting for the stallholders at Wigan Market who are trying to run their own business and supporting our local economy.
Wigan Market works in partnership with The Galleries to provide on-site security and during key times throughout the year such as summer holidays and Christmas additional security is brought in as additional support.
We are always listening to our stallholders and the extra security has been tasked to cover areas of concern they have raised with us as part of this pre-arranged additional cover.
The club have been reviewing their security procedures with Greater Manchester Police following terror attacks in Manchester, London and Paris in recent months. United have emailed season ticket holders with details of the new measures; there will now be enhanced searches of fans at turnstiles which ‘may take longer and as a result it is likely that queues will also be longer’. The size of bags allowed will also be reduced.
Supporters are being advised not to bring a bag larger than a small handbag (20cm x 15cm x 5cm) with them or they will have to leave it in a bag drop zone.
‘All bags will be searched and items larger than the size criteria must be left at one of the bag drop facilities, which are located near the ticket office and in E2 car park,’ an email sent on Friday read.
‘Bringing a bag will further delay your entry to the stadium (and will delay your departure after the game if you have to use a bag drop) and we therefore encourage you not to bring any bags or prohibited items to the stadium (if you have to bring a bag, we recommend you arrive at least two hours before kick-off).
‘Please do not be alarmed by the extra security measures (which will be in place for every match from now on), they are to ensure your time at Old Trafford is as safe as possible.’
The club also reminded season ticket holders that major roadworks on key roads surrounding the stadium have begun and will last for three years.
‘This will increase your journey time to and from the stadium if you travel by car and could impact your route and street parking,’ the memo added. As always, turnstiles will still open two hours before-kick off . For more details, visit www.manutd.com/gettinghere.
An offender has narrowly been spared a prison sentence after he was at large for about six months after committing an assault at Chesterfield Royal Hospital. Chesterfield magistrates court heard on Thursday, July 27, how Mark Anthony Singleton, 43, had struck a security guard at the hospital but never showed up for his court appearance on January 3 and he became a wanted man. Singleton, of Almond s Green, West Derby, Liverpool, told the court he had been caring for his stepfather who had suffered repeated strokes and had suffered brain damage and he wanted to help his mother and niece. He added: I was scared I would go to jail . I thought I would help my mum and niece until my step-dad got better because he nearly died and then I would hand myself in. The court heard how Singleton had originally assaulted a security guard at the hospital in June, 2016, after security guards tried to detain him following concerns an illegal substance had been passed to someone in the hospital. Prosecuting solicitor Ruth Snodin said the security guard had been assaulted and been struck to the side of the face and twice to the back of his head.
Following several hearings, Singleton pleaded guilty to assault and his case was adjourned in December for a probation report but he failed to return to court on January 3 for sentencing. The court heard how a warrant was issued for Singleton s arrest and he was at large until the latest hearing last Thursday. Singleton told the court there was a scuffle with the security guard but claimed he did not punch him. He added that he is ashamed of what happened but claimed he is in a better place now and is having treatment for a long-term heroin addiction. He said: I am in a better place and I am on a methadone prescription . I was scared to come to court but I knew this day would come. Magistrates sentenced Singleton to eight weeks of custody suspended for 12 months with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.
He was also fined 50 and ordered to pay 85 costs and 50 in compensation.