Additional security measures were in place as fans arrived for a Manchester tribute concert on Sunday. Around 50,000 were expected to attend the Ariana Grande show at Old Trafford cricket ground, despite some admitting to feeling nervous in the wake of Saturday night’s terror attack in London. All those who attended Grande’s gig at Manchester Arena on May 22 – which was targeted by a suicide bomber – were offered free tickets to Sunday’s show. Organisers said the event would go ahead “loudly” and with “greater purpose” following the marauding attack in central London less than 24 hours earlier. American star Grande said she was “praying for London” after the atrocity in the capital, which killed seven and left 48 injured.
Image: Around 50,000 are expected to attend the concert
Including the Manchester Arena bombing, the London attack made it three mass casualty terror attacks in the UK within four months. Armed police surrounded the Old Trafford venue but were seen posing for photographs as concert-goers arrived. Fans were urged not to bring bags in order to speed up searches as people entered the concert.
:: LIVE: Police raids after London terror attack1 Sunday night’s show will raise money for the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund, and will feature A-list acts such as Coldplay, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Usher, Take That and Miley Cyrus. Linda Tipping, 50, from Chorley, wore Grande’s signature bunny ears but confessed she was “nervous” following the London attack. She said: “I thought about not coming after last night . But friends said ‘don’t be stupid, enjoy yourself and don’t think about it’ . We can’t let them stop us.”
Image: Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus will be performing on Sunday
Liam Rees, 18, from South Wales, revealed he had given a spare ticket to the Old Trafford concert to Kellie Royle, 41, who had helped him and a friend get home after the Manchester attack. He admitted he had been “all over the place” after hearing about the attack in London but added: “It’s important to live your life to the fullest.” In a statement released on Sunday, Grande and Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun said the tribute concert will be to “honour those lost” in both the Manchester and London’s atrocities. He said: “We plan to honour them with courage, bravery, and defiance in the face of fear.
“Today’s One Love Manchester benefit concert will not only continue, but will do so with greater purpose.” “We must not be afraid and in tribute to all those affected here and around the world, we will bring our voices together and sing loudly.”
Image: Security staff check fans arriving for the One Love Manchester show
Greater Manchester Police assistant chief constable Garry Shewan revealed “additional security” will be in place at both the concert and a testimonial match at the nearby Old Trafford football stadium on Sunday. He said: “We have dedicated resources at both events, with a significant number of officers from both Greater Manchester Police and colleagues from other forces, some of which will be armed.
“There will be additional security checks taking place and everyone will be searched, including bags . We would ask people not to bring bags if they can, as this will help speed up entry.” The bombing at the end of Grande’s concert at Manchester Arena last month killed 22 people and left 116 injured.
:: London terror attack – Watch a special programme on Sky News presented by Dermot Murnaghan at 8pm tonight.
Scotland’s roads thrown into chaos as security ramped up at Fife naval base in wake of Manchester bombing
security threat chaos
But the measures were still warmly welcomed by those affected as a ring of steel is thrown up around key locations
SCOTLAND S new national security level caused major road delays today as commuters got to grips with enhanced security measures ordered by Prime Minister Theresa May in the wake of the Manchester bombing. But the measures were still warmly welcomed by those affected as a ring of steel is thrown up around key locations including the strategically important dockyards and travel hubs in Fife.
Staff at Rosyth Dockyard, an integration site for the Royal Navy s newest aircraft carriers, went through rigorous security checks this morning causing huge tailbacks towards Dunfermline and Edinburgh. Commuters waited for hours as traffic came to a standstill, while bus services were thrown into chaos.
A union chief said increased security at naval bases is standard practice during heightened terror threats. Bob MacGregor, regional officer at Unite, said: We at Unite welcome this decision which will give our members increased protection. The move comes two days after Manchester Arena was nail bombed by terrorist Salman Abedi1.
The Brit-born suicide bomber, 22, was unmasked 2as Theresa May raised the UK threat level to critical for the first time in ten years with up to 3,800 soldiers on the streets because another terror attack could be imminent .
The frantic family of missing Scots teen Eilidh MacLeod3 are continuing their desperate search for her following the attack. The 14-year-old had travelled to see pop star Ariana Grande with pal Laura MacIntyre4, 15, when horror struck on Monday night. The pair had made the long trip south from Barra to see their favourite singer.
Laura s relatives received news last night that the teenager had been found alive in hospital and is being treated for serious burns.5
Police Scotland announced this morning there would be increased security at sites across Scotland. Chief Constable Phil Gormley said: My thoughts and those of everyone at Police Scotland continue to be with those who have lost loved ones or who were injured in the attack in Manchester.
With the threat level now at Critical, we have now established a multi-agency co-ordination centre to lead and co-ordinate the response across the country along with key partners.
Police Scotland will be increasing our operations to protect the people of Scotland, our businesses and public places.
This may include a range of options aimed at increasing security at these sites, reassuring residents, businesses, workers and visitors so they can go about their daily lives as normally as possible.
Yesterday morning, we increased the number of armed police on patrol at key locations and the public should expect to see armed officers on foot patrol.
We are reviewing all significant events along with event organisers taking place within the next 14 days and will increase the security footprint around those events where it is deemed appropriate.
We have well-rehearsed plans to respond to major incidents and we will be continuing to work with our partners to address the current heightened threat.
However, there is no intelligence to suggest there is any specific threat to Scotland but I would ask the public to remain alert and report anything suspicious.
SEARCH FOR EILIDH
SCOTS CAUGHT IN TERROR
‘Cowardice has a face’
COUNSELLING FOR KIDS
HARD TO SWALLOW
WE WON’T BACK DOWN
SCOTLAND TERROR REVIEW
ARMED POLICE ON ALERT
ARMED COPS ONLY
However troops will not be deployed imminently in Scotland6 following the Manchester terror attack despite nearly 1000 soldiers being scrambled down south.
Police Scotland chiefs have declined to follow suit after Theresa May said the Army could be sent to concerts and sports matches .
World unites in solidarity with Manchester after Salman Abedi terror attack at Ariana Grande gig
We pay for your stories and videos ! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun Online ?
Email us at
- ^ nail bombed by terrorist Salman Abedi (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ unmasked (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ missing Scots teen Eilidh MacLeod (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ pal Laura MacIntyre (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ last night that the teenager had been found alive in hospital and is being treated for serious burns. (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ troops will not be deployed imminently in Scotland (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
The security services believe they know the identity of the man behind the Manchester suicide bombing, Theresa May has said. Speaking outside Downing Street after chairing a meeting of the Government’s emergency COBRA committee, the Prime Minister said the city had fallen victim to a “callous terrorist attack”. She said the blast at Manchester Arena, which left 22 people dead1, was “among the worst terrorism we have experienced in the United Kingdom”. :: Live updates: Manchester attack2
The target was a pop concert, the audience was a mixture of teenagers, many of them young girls, all out for a fun and innocent evening . Some were young enough to need chaperoning by parents or grandparents. If this does turn out to be an Islamist-inspired attack, the attacker has deliberately targeted everything his warped beliefs hate in a Western society. He has also demonstrated a deadly competence – he blew himself up as the high-spirited crowd streamed out of the arena after the concert .
The timing, and location of the explosion – just outside the main arena itself – suggests planning and shows he probably carried out a recce. The singer Ariana Grande is world-famous . She has more than 45 million followers on Twitter . Another basic but twisted way of guaranteeing this attack will resonate far. The morning after the attack, a number of things will be happening simultaneously and with urgency. In Manchester, counterterrorism police from North West Command will be carrying out forensic work at the scene of the explosion. They will try and find bomb-making signatures that might give a clue as to who was behind this attack.
They will look for certain chemicals, such as triacetone triperoxide (TATP). TATP has been used by terrorists around the world, it is a favoured compound of Islamic State and it is relatively straightforward to make, but it is extremely unstable and lethal. It has been confirmed that the attacker died on the scene – this tells us that something is left of his body. That will be important in identifying him, either facially, through fingerprints, dental records or DNA . Once they know who he is, databases will be scoured . Was he known to the security services ? Does he have known associates?
His home will be searched . So too the homes of any close relatives or friends. People might be detained, questioned and then released . Computers will be taken away and their contents and internet history studied. GCHQ will be looking for a digital trail and if necessary MI6 will speak to foreign partners to build a picture of who this man was and who he knew. Was he acting alone, a so-called lone-wolf (unlikely with this nature of attack), did he have supporters helping him in the UK, was he being remotely ‘directed’ by a centralised body (for example IS leadership in Raqqa)? These are all questions which will have been asked by the Prime Minister as she chaired the COBRA meeting.
The most pressing questions of all though – was this part of a network and should the UK prepare for a secondary attack? COBRA (the dramatic acronym for the mundane Cabinet Office Briefing Room) is attended by key members of Government, including the home and defence secretaries, the heads of the UK’s intelligence agencies and other relevant figures. The Foreign Secretary is in Brussels so wouldn’t have been there in person but could have dialled in, if necessary. The decision to raise the national threat level is one for JTAC – the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre. It sits inside MI5’s headquarters on the banks of the River Thames, and acts independent from government although with input from government officials. The threat level is currently set at “severe”, one from the top . It means an attack is highly likely.
If JTAC assesses that another attack is under way or imminent, it will raise that level to the highest – “critical”. The security services have been warning that London isn’t the only target of terrorists wishing to attack the UK. Many smaller cities might be less prepared for an incident like this, but not Manchester. MI5 has a regional base in Bury, just on the outer edges of the city. The police armed response unit is highly trained and on the scene within minutes of the attack. Now and in the coming days, armed police will patrol Manchester city centre, partly for reassurance, partly for increased security. And then there are 22 families, the morning after, at home, mourning the death of loved ones.
“The death of these children will remain with us forever,” a member of the city council told Sky News.