Enhanced security measures that caused thousands of rugby fans to miss the kick off for the Australia match are here to stay, said a defiant Welsh Rugby Union on Saturday evening. Rugby fans missed kick off for the opening autumn international because of huge queues to get into the Principality Stadium on Saturday. Supporters were left standing in the rain outside several gates as a result of enhanced security checks because of the unprecedented terror threat in the UK.
Fans queuing at the stadium as the game kicks off Fans queue at the stadium
Stadium chiefs had warned fans to get to the stadium early1 , with every supporter due to be searched for the first time ever . A warning was also issued stating large bags and umbrellas would not be allowed into the ground.
TV pictures inside the Principality showed scores of empty seats as the players emerged from the tunnel, with BBC TV presenter John Inverdale raising the issue on air . A crowd of more than 66,000 was due at the match. The WRU said after the match: “Enhanced security measures ensure everybody entering Principality Stadium is checked on arrival at the turnstiles . For the Under Armour Series, we have doubled the pre-game opening hours to three hours to give fans the opportunity to avoid the queues and we have made every effort to communicate to supporters to plan to arrive early and leave large bags and large umbrellas at home to avoid missing kick off.
“We received great support from all of our partners, including the media, South Wales Police and Cardiff Council, getting this message out in the build up to today s event.
“The safety and enjoyment of our visitors is of paramount importance.
“Welsh rugby fans are renowned for their contribution to the fantastic atmosphere inside the venue and vital support they give to the team on the pitch.
“Today thousands of fans enjoyed our new and improved pre-match entertainment schedule from three hours before kick-off, including live music and early bird offers at our retail units.
“It is important to stress that these security measures are here to stay and we don t want anyone to miss kick off.
“We will continue to urge supporters to allow more time for getting in to the stadium in future, as these checks are vital to the safety of all attendees.”
Thousands of fans remain in queues with just two minutes before the start of the game. (Image: Peter Bolter)
Tom Lee-wah from Cardiff said the price of the ticket didn’t warrant having to queue and miss part of the match. Another fan said she had been waiting for nearly half an hour in the rain.
“We’ve missed the great atmosphere now . Normally we like to go in and get a drink and take it all in before the match starts but we have missed all that.
“We were told we should come earlier because of the security check but we did come thirty minutes before kick off.”
Several fans took to social media to vent their frustration about the situation, with some describing scenes of chaos at the crowded gates. One, Tom Lewis, reported being stuck in a queue for an hour with no sign of movement, while fans at Gate 7 told WalesOnline they had no chance of making kick-off despite turning up 40 minutes before the scheduled start time.
Supporter Hattie Jones tweeted the Principality Stadium, saying: “We’ve been queuing for 65 minutes but are still told the queue is more than 60 minutes . Five minutes away from kick-off . Are there any refunds available.”
Cardiff MP Stephen Doughty called the crowd handling at Gate 1 an “utter shambles”. He said in a tweet he’d “never known it so bad in 18 years” and had reported his concerns to South Wales Police and the WRU.
There were also reports of female fans getting to the front of queues only to be sent to other queues by male stewards who were unable to search women. The WRU issued a detailed warning to fans earlier this week but it appears many were unaware just how thorough the checks would be in comparison to previous games. Small bags and handbags were permitted, provided they were no larger than 35cm x 40cm x 19cm.
- ^ Stadium chiefs had warned fans to get to the stadium early (www.walesonline.co.uk)
Law enforcement investigating at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs after a gunman opened fire during a Sunday service. Law enforcement investigating at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs after a gunman opened fire during a Sunday service.
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 Utah) The Texas church murders shattered the sanctuary of church across the nation and Utah, forcing pastors to revisit their security plan. When Pastor France Davis came to Calvary Baptist Church 45 years ago, he never expected to hear about mass murder in a place of worship. I thought that churches were a sacred place that people had respect for them, Pastor Davis said. Now, a top priority for the church is ensuring the 1,400 Sunday worshippers remain safe. Only a handful of doors allow access to the chapel . Inside, a plain-clothes security team keeps watch.
We know what to expect of the members of the church . When others come, we don t know them and have to be careful, Pastor Davis said. It is a pastor s worst nightmare, The Point Church Pastor Corey Hodges said.
The Point Church in Kearns also set up a secret security team made up of former military and law enforcement officers with tactical and active shooter training. I feel obligated to protect the sheep, our congregants, Pastor Hodges said. Pastor Hodges also installed a comprehensive camera system, keyless entry, and asks parishioners to alert the security team of any violent domestic issues that could come knocking. This week, Calvary Baptist Church celebrates their 125th anniversary in Salt Lake City . They ve hired extra off-duty police officers to keep an eye out for trouble.
CAIRO (Reuters) – Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi appointed a new armed forces chief of staff on Saturday, and the interior ministry dismissed several high-ranking officials in an apparent reorganisation of the country s security command.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi attends a news conference at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, October 24, 2017 . REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer
No reason was given for the reshuffle, but the interior ministry decision came a week after a deadly attack on a police operation in a western desert area of Giza Province, in which the ministry said 16 police were killed after coming under heavy fire.
Egyptian forces have been fighting several armed Islamist groups, mostly in the northern part of the Sinai peninsula, since Sisi helped lead the military overthrow of President Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013.
Hundreds of members of the security forces have been killed in attacks by militants in recent years . A local Islamic State affiliate has been the main foe of the security forces in the north Sinai.
A statement from the presidency said Gen .
Mohamed Farid Hegazy would replace Gen . Mahmoud Hegazy, who has been made the president s adviser for strategic planning and crisis management.
In a separate statement, the interior ministry announced that it had replaced several high-ranking officials, including the head of homeland security, assistant to the minister for security in Giza province, the director of Giza s security and director of operations for central security.
It gave no further details on the shakeup . No militant group has yet claimed responsibility for last week s attack on the police in a remote desert area of Giza, about 130 km (80 miles) southwest of the capital Cairo.
Thirteen militants were killed in a raid on a farm hideout in the region on Friday . State news agency MENA quoted a security official as saying it was revenge for the blood of the men who were martyred last week in the oasis .
The vast western desert region has always been a security headache with arms flowing across the frontier with Libya, where militant groups have found shelter since the country fell into chaos after the 2011 end of Muammar Gaddafi s rule.
Sisi is a former military commander elected by a landslide in 2014 and presents himself as a bulwark against Islamist militancy . He is widely expected to run for re-election next year.
Reporting by Mostafa Hashem; Writing by Arwa Gaballa; Editing by Patrick Markey and Andrew Roche