Tributes paid to Westminster victims as security is ramped up at Wembley ahead for England vs Lithuania
Police have implemented extreme security at Wembley for England’s World Cup qualifier against Lithuania following the terror attack in Westminster1 this week. Reinforced vans and additional presence on the ground has been deployed around the home of the national team after the attack in the capital on Wednesday. The St George’s flag is flying at half mast at Wembley as security is ramped up following the terror attack in Westminster earlier this week.
(Photo: PA) (Photo: PA)
A minute’s silence will be observed as football remembers those that lost their lives in the atrocity, while the death of former England boss Graham Taylor will also be acknowledged. Extra security has been drafted in around the ground as London reacts to the attack3 which saw five people, including the terrorist, lose their lives.
Security is ramped up at Wembley (Photo: REUTERS)
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan is attending the game and has called on football to unite.
“We ll stand together at Wembley to remember those killed & injured in Wednesday s attack & show we will never be cowed by terrorism,” he said. An FA spokesperson added: Fan safety is of paramount importance and we have robust security measures in place at Wembley Stadium.
The England flag at half mast (Photo: PA) England take on Lithuania (Photo: REUTERS) Tributes will be paid to Graham Taylor (Photo: PA)
“In collaboration with the local authorities and the Metropolitan Police there will be an enhanced security operation for the England v Lithuania match on Sunday, to ensure a safe and secure environment for spectators.
“All supporters are encouraged to arrive as early as possible to avoid any delays in entering the stadium.
Search dog patrols outside Wembley (Photo: PA) Police outside the stadium (Photo: REUTERS) The Bobby Moore statue (Photo: PA)
The Sunderland striker has been in superb form this season with 14 Premier League goals and has been rewarded with a chance to shine at Wembley in the starting line-up.6
Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is another surprise starter in an exciting, attack-minded line-up that also includes Dele Alli, Raheem Sterling and Adam Lallana.
Will England beat Lithuania?
0+ VOTES SO FAR
An overzealous security guard found himself on the receiving end of a telling off by Adele after he told fans to stop dancing.
Video footage posted on social media2 showed the star jump to the defence of those who wanted to stand during the show at Melbourne’s Ethiad Stadium. After performing her single Water Under The Bridge, Adele told the staff member: “Excuse me sir ? I know you work here but could you stop telling people to sit down ? This is a music show.
Adele gave the security guard a piece of her mind (Photo: Channel 9) The singer halted her performance to chastise the concert worker (Photo: Getty Images AsiaPac)
“If people can’t see then they can stand up.
“If you’re moaning about people dancing, what the f*** have you come to a show for?
“If I see one more person be told to sit down, I swear to God.”
The incident happened on the final show of the singer’s Australian tour (Photo: Getty Images AsiaPac) The crowd at the Etihad Stadium in Melbourne also witnessed a surprise proposal (Photo: Getty Images AsiaPac)
The 77,000-strong crowd also witnessed a surprise proposal when Adele invited a gay couple to join her on stage.
“I had no idea that was going to happen . That wasn’t planned,” Adele said.
The star will compete her tour with three shows in Auckland this week (Photo: Getty Images AsiaPac)
The 28-year-old star will compete her tour of Australia and New Zealand by performing three shows at the Mount Smart Stadium in Auckland this week.
She will perform four sold-out shows at Wembley Stadium between June 28 and July 2.
Security services thwarted 13 potential terrorist attacks on the UK in less than four years and are running more than 500 live investigations at any time, Britain’s most senior counter-terrorism officer has revealed. Assistant commissioner Mark Rowley disclosed the figures as he launched a major appeal for the public to report any suspicions and act on their instincts, stressing that help is critical to foiling atrocities. The Metropolitan Police officer said that since June 2013, police and intelligence agencies have disrupted 13 terrorist attack plots. The figure is one higher than the last tally given in October. Information from members of the public has contributed to stopping some of those attacks, while figures show it has assisted counter-terrorism police in a third of the most high-risk investigations. Describing the contribution as ‘extraordinary’, Mr Rowley said: “Some of that information is a change in someone’s behaviour, some of that’s about suspicious activity. “Sometimes that public information has actually started an investigation .
Other times it’s part way through and it corroborates some things or adds to things we already know. “The public are making a great contribution which is critical to us all working together to protect ourselves from terrorism.” Investigators have been making terror-related arrests at a rate of close to one a day on average since 2014, he said. The official threat level for international terrorism has stood at severe – meaning an attack is ‘highly likely’ – for more than two years. Mr Rowley said that ‘tempo’ of activity continues . He identified a host of challenges including encrypted communication methods, propaganda and the range of possible attack methods.
“Now we worry about everything from fairly simple attacks with knives or using vehicles all the way through to the more complex firearms attacks,” he said. “All of that means that our job remains difficult . We’ve got over 500 investigations at any one stage.”
In the year to March, the anti-terrorist hotline received more than twice the number of calls on the previous 12 months, with 22,000 people making contact. Mr Rowley said: ” Even though the public are doing a great job, we want more help.” As part of the Action Counters Terrorism campaign, a podcast has been produced revealing previously untold stories of how terrorist attacks on UK soil were prevented, featuring accounts from detectives, bomb disposal and surveillance officers. Mr Rowley said the aim of releasing new material was to give an insight into how terrorists might prepare and provide more confidence for the public to report any suspicions. He said: ” I think what often happens is a member of the public will see something, or hear something, and think ‘well that’s a bit odd, but maybe I’m overreacting and I won’t bother telling anybody’. “Us putting more information out there, the aim is that it gives that bit more confidence for the public.
“We will respond carefully, we won’t overreact. “If it turns out to be a call where you made it with good intent but actually there was no problem at the end of it, that’s fine. “We’d rather have many calls like that, rather than miss out on the critical one that helps us stop an attack.”
Security minister Ben Wallace welcomed the campaign, saying: ” The horror of recent terrorist attacks in Europe and beyond is a shocking reminder of the threat we all face.”