by: Robert Goulston Updated: Oct 3, 2017 – 9:24 PM
BOSTON – Concerns over hotel security have grown after Stephen Paddock managed to sneak 23 guns into the suite on the 32nd floor at the Mandalay Bay hotel and open fire on hundreds of concertgoers.
The Mandalay Bay hotel security is now under intense scrutiny, but investigators say the hotel did “nothing wrong”. Visitors to Boston hotels tell Boston 25 News reporter Robert Goulston that they are thinking about what happened in Las Vegas on Sunday night.
“It just really shocked me that someone could carry that many weapons and that much ammo without being checked,” Karen Padgett says. Boston 25 News spoke with Global Rescue, a group that provides intelligence to corporations around the world in order to help them better assess security for their employees.
Joe Mroszcyzyk, the Manager of Intelligence Products and Services at Global Rescue say that, regarding hotel security, he “doesn’t think there’s much they can do unless they do implement metal detectors at the front door”.
“I think it would require a trend of this type of behavior for a hotel to really consider investing those kinds of resources into harder security,” Mroszcyzyk adds. Marriott International, one of the biggest hotel chains in the country says that “each of (their) properties is unique, so individual security measures are tailored to each individual hotel” . they also add that they “typically re-evaluate (their security measures) after tragic acts like this happen to determine what, if any, changes may need to be made”.
“A lot of it is determined by risk and threats that still exist,” Mroszcyzyk said. Global Rescue says intelligence sharing is the key to preventing these tragedies from happening . Boston Police say that’s exactly what they do as they are working closely with all of the city’s major hotels and even training with them.
Since 2015, BPD has done more than 175 active shooter drills to ensure proper hotel security training .
However, hotel guests are still not at ease and say there’s always going to be a risk.
“It’s a free society and there’s only so much we can do,” says Hank Jackson.
“If we allow this, they will in fact destroy our society and I’m not for that,” says Cindy Jackson.
2017 Cox Media Group.
This is the terrifying moment a gun gang ambushed security guards in a 100,000 bank raid. Three masked men pounced at a branch of Santander in Walkden in the early hours of the morning. Footage shows how a G4S vehicle was parked in an alley at the side of the bank.
A distinctive Mini Cooper car, with the robbers on board, is seen arriving in the street as an innocent woman pedestrian walks by. One of two guards then alights from the van and starts to walk towards the entrance of the bank. The Mini pulls up at speed next to bollards near the pavement and the guard hurries towards the door of the bank, but one of gang springs from the car and tailgates him into the building.
The robber is then quickly followed by two others.
The armed men can be seen chasing the security guard into the bank
Once inside the building at the Ellesmere Shopping Centre in Bolton Road, one of the gang pressed a pistol into the guard s back after forcing him to lie on the floor. Within 30 seconds the gang emerge from the bank and drive off. One line of inquiry is that the gang had inside information.
As well as a handgun the gang were also armed with a machete. Their red Mini was later found abandoned behind a row of shops in nearby Sportside Avenue. The raid took place at around 1.20am on September 7th .
Neither of the cash couriers were injured but were left shocked by the ordeal. In recent weeks, Salford has also suffered another similar bank raid.
The distinctive Mini Cooper car used as a getaway car leaving the scene
Twelve days later – on Tuesday last week – two men escaped with 30,000 in another early morning bank raid in Salford. A guard was attacked outside the Royal Bank of Scotland in Mather Way, Pendleton, at the city s shopping centre.
The pair struck at 7.10am on September 19th and were armed with a crow bar.
Commenting on the Walkden raid,Sergeant Natasha Evans of GMP s Salford borough, said: This was a horrifying attack, which has left the victims extremely shaken.
Thankfully no-one was injured, but that doesn t excuse the terrifying ordeal that the victims had to endure at the hands of these violent men.
I would urge anyone that was in the area at the time of the robbery that thinks they might have seen anything that could help our investigation to please get in touch.
A sex offender headbutted the dock, branded a sheriff a specky **** then brawled with court security officers when he was told he was going to prison. Kyle Leonard, 20, had been handed a community-based sentence at Dundee Sheriff Court after he admitted having sex with three underage girls but was arrested and hauled back to court last November facing further charges. Those charges ended up being dropped but he was locked up for breaching his earlier orders.
When Sheriff George Way then told him he was being remanded in custody to await further proceedings, Leonard flipped. Leonard appeared back in the same dock where he had lashed out at the lawman facing a threatening and abusive behaviour charge the second time he has been convicted of abusing a sheriff in identical circumstances. Fiscal depute Joanne Smith told the court: Sheriff Way decided to remand him in custody and the accused was clearly unhappy and began to shout and swear.
He shouted at the sheriff: Are you ******* joking you specky **** This is a ******* joke I m going to lose everything .
He was handcuffed to a G4S officer and was making his way to the stairs shouting: I don t ******* believe this .
Without warning he punched and headbutted the glass surrounding the dock.
Another G4S officer attended to assist and he was put to the ground to try to subdue him . Eventually he was restrained and taken to the cells.
Witnesses including the sheriff were shocked and alarmed at his actions. Leonard, a prisoner at Polmont, pleaded guilty on summary complaint to a charge of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner at Dundee Sheriff Court on November 23 last year.
Defence solicitor Douglas McConnell said Leonard is due to be released from jail on his earlier sentence later this month. He said: He has a tendency to lash out and he s been working on that whilst in custody. Sheriff Derek Reekie deferred sentence for three months for Leonard to be of good behaviour on his release from custody.
Leonard was last year convicted of hurling abuse at Sheriff Elizabeth Munro during a court appearance.