The TV cook, 77, said she had refused protection, but that Channel 44 and production company Love Productions insisted over fears she would receive threats. Speaking to The Sun she said: On the day that they announced who the line-up was, they wanted to send a close protection officer.
My husband and a bunch of friends were going out to dinner to a really nice restaurant in London. Replaced: Mary Berry with former presenters Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc (BBC/Love Productions/Mark Bourdi)
I said, Don t be ridiculous, we absolutely do not need a copper standing there looking.
But they said, No, no, no, we really must just to be on the safe side.
What did they think is going to happen ? I m not likely to be trolled . This is a nice family show.
Despite her protestations, Leith said she returned home to find a security guard outside her house, and later learned that her agent had also been given protection. Paul Hollywood talks about new Bake Off line-up on Loose Women
She continued: When I got home that night at 11 at night, there s a chap in a van, a security guard.
They sent somebody down to the country to look after me.
And they sent someone to look after my agent . I mean, who do they think I am ?
Do they think I m Prince Philip or something?
I was really amazed that they really look after you. Leith replaced Berry on the popular baking show after it moved from the BBC5 to rival broadcaster, Channel 4, and will judge the contestants alongside Paul Hollywood6. Presenters Sue Perkins7 and Mel Giedroyc8 also turned down the chance to continue on Channel 4 and were later replaced by Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding9.
The Great British Bake Off airs later this year.
- ^ Prue Leith (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Mary Berry (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ The Great British Bake Off (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Channel 4 (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ BBC (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Paul Hollywood (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Sue Perkins (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ Mel Giedroyc (www.standard.co.uk)
- ^ replaced by Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding (www.standard.co.uk)
Security fears have been raised after it emerged that the gate of Parliament were left unmanned and open in the immediate wake of Wednesday’s terror attack. The footage, captured by The Times1, shows the aftermath of the assault on New Palace Yard in which PC Keith Palmer2 was stabbed to death. As armed officers swarm the forecourt, having shot dead terrorist Khalid Masood3, the imposing iron gate that allows vehicles to enter can be seen wide open.
No police officers are visible guarding the entry point, known as Carriage Gates, fuelling concern the attack might have been worse had Masood been followed by accomplices. Pedestrians are shown walking past and at one stage a courier on a moped appears to enter unchallenged. Yards away, separate footage showed Theresa May being rushed from the building and into a waiting car.
Although the gate was open for a matter of minutes, critics will use the brief security lapse to rebuke claims on Friday by Scotland Yard’s anti-terror chief that current arrangements were “proportionate”. Mark Rowley said that procedures for guarding Parliament had been designed so they were not “overly intrusive”.
“Our current arrangements have been developed with Parliament over many years and are designed to provide access to the seat of our government balanced with security that is proportionate but not overly intrusive,” he said. Parliament’s main entrance has two sets of large metal gates allowing vehicles to go in and out of the estate and they have traditionally been left open during the day.
A pair of smaller, makeshift gates was introduced more recently with two police officers at each to check passes and allow cyclists, cars and delivery drivers to come and go. Just inside the entrance gate, armed police are usually present and an unarmed officer sits in a booth by the exit. Electronic ramps are depressed and barriers lifted further into the courtyard after passes are checked using handheld machines which flash up with a picture of the passholder.
More police, some armed, are usually present after the final checkpoint. Wednesday s murderous rampage at Westminster left five people dead, including the attacker . Many more were injured.
London attack: Security services face ‘big investigation’ into how Khalid Masood slipped through net
The powerful watchdog that scrutinises the intelligence services is set to probe whether officials properly handled the case of Westminster attacker Khalid Masood. Sources close to Parliament s Intelligence and Security Committee told The Independent there would likely be a big investigation into whether the 52-year-old killer should have been better monitored after it emerged he was known to agents. They added that there would be a particular focus on whether lessons have been learnt from errors found in the way security services operated in the run up to the brutal murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby in 2013.
Concerns were also raised as to whether parliamentary security is adequately staffed, following a sizeable drop in the number of firearm-trained officers employed by the Metropolitan Police. It was reported that the officer who shot Masood, ending his rampage, was actually Defence Secretary Michael Fallon s personal bodyguard, who was only on the scene coincidentally. Theresa May told MPs in the Commons on Thursday that while Masood was known to security services, his case was historic and that officers did not believe him to be part of the current intelligence picture . Later in the day Home Secretary Amber Rudd said it would be wrong to say there had been an intelligence failure.
However, an official close to the ISC said: Masood had at one point been looked at by the intelligence and security services, but obviously it had gone dormant . That sometimes happens with these cases. Westminster attacker named as Khalid Masood
There is going to be a big investigation on this . It is always a worry for the intelligence and security services, when it comes to dropping cases, but they can t follow them all up.
At the end of the day they have to take a decision on each one, and they will now want a proper investigation of who knew what and when.
The committee is due to meet next week where the question as to whether it should launch an investigation or not will be raised. The group, chaired by former attorney general Dominic Grieve and filled with cross-party politicians from the Commons and Lords, can choose to launch an inquiry itself or it might be asked by Ms May to take the work on. In 2014 the committee conducted a far-reaching inquiry into the murder of Lee Rigby, killed a year earlier by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale on the streets of Woolwich.
The committee insider said: It was a case, once again, where the people who had killed him had been looked at by the security services and there were recommendations.
It would be a fair assumption to say that the committee would look back at those recommendations with regards to this case. The 2014 report discovered a number of errors and made criticisms where processes were not being followed or decisions not recorded. Who are the victims of the Westminster attack?
The report concluded the errors did not necessarily mean Fusilier Rigby s murder could have been prevented, but it called for better procedures. It also highlighted the challenge of monitoring every single individual of potential interest that comes before the intelligence services. The report said: Clearly, MI5 must focus primarily on the highest priority individuals . However, that leaves a large group of individuals who may also pose a risk to national security, but who are not under active investigation.
Previous attempts by MI5 and the police to manage this group have failed: We have not yet seen any evidence that the new programme, established in late 2013, will be any better . This is an important issue and the committee will continue to take a close interest in it in order to ensure that the necessary improvements are made.
In a statement to MPs, Ms May said Masood was once investigated in relation to concerns about violent extremism, but said he was a peripheral figure . She added: The case is historic . He was not part of the current intelligence picture . There was no prior intelligence of his intent or of the plot.
Asked later if there had been a failure of intelligence, cabinet minister Ms Rudd said: I think that would be absolutely the wrong judgement to make . I m confident that as we get more information and I really can t be drawn any further on it at the moment that we will learn more and take comfort from the information that we have and the work that the intelligence services do. Scotland Yard later said Masood had previous convictions for assaults, including GBH, possession of offensive weapons and public order offences. Westminster terror attacker had been investigated by MI5 over violent extremism
His first conviction was in November 1983 for criminal damage and his last conviction was in December 2003 for possession of a knife.
He had not been convicted of any terrorism offences, but had been known by a number of aliases. Also in the Commons, former cabinet minister Theresa Villiers suggested it was time for all police who patrol areas known to be of interest to terrorists to be armed. Ms May argued that the level of security in Westminster had been enhanced significantly over her 20 years in Parliament, and that questions over whether individual officers should be routinely armed is an operational matter for the police.
Parliament holds a minute-long silence in memory of the victims of the Westminster attack
But former Met senior investigating officer Peter Kirkham raised concerns that there might have been a fall in the number of armed guards at the gates of Parliament where the Westminster attacker struck. He said: I m beginning to hear that there s been a reduction of armed officers at the Houses of Parliament.
Hence there wasn t armed officers specifically on that gate yesterday, it was in the presence of that yard . We ve heard that it was a protection officer that just happened to be there by chance.
Reports emerged on Thursday that the individual who shot Masood was Mr Fallon s Met close protection officer, raising questions as to whether another armed guard would have been on the scene if he were not. Police officers stand guard on Victoria Embankment following yesterday’s attack in London, England (ge)
The Met said it would not be appropriate to confirm the identity of any officer involved in a fatal firearms incident. But his intervention comes against the backdrop of broader falling numbers of firearms officers in the whole of London .
Official Home Office figures show they dropped by a quarter, from a high of 2,856 in 2010, to 2,139 last year. A source from Parliament s Joint Committee on Security told The Independent there had been no recent discussion about a reduction in the number of armed officers at Westminster. Any such reduction would need to be considered first by the committee, the source said, which is chaired by Deputy Leader of the Commons Lindsay Hoyle.
If there was a recommendation to cut the number of armed officers on the frontline at Parliament, we would be told about it, he added.