Scotland’s roads thrown into chaos as security ramped up at Fife naval base in wake of Manchester bombing
security threat chaos
But the measures were still warmly welcomed by those affected as a ring of steel is thrown up around key locations
SCOTLAND S new national security level caused major road delays today as commuters got to grips with enhanced security measures ordered by Prime Minister Theresa May in the wake of the Manchester bombing. But the measures were still warmly welcomed by those affected as a ring of steel is thrown up around key locations including the strategically important dockyards and travel hubs in Fife.
Staff at Rosyth Dockyard, an integration site for the Royal Navy s newest aircraft carriers, went through rigorous security checks this morning causing huge tailbacks towards Dunfermline and Edinburgh. Commuters waited for hours as traffic came to a standstill, while bus services were thrown into chaos.
A union chief said increased security at naval bases is standard practice during heightened terror threats. Bob MacGregor, regional officer at Unite, said: We at Unite welcome this decision which will give our members increased protection. The move comes two days after Manchester Arena was nail bombed by terrorist Salman Abedi1.
The Brit-born suicide bomber, 22, was unmasked 2as Theresa May raised the UK threat level to critical for the first time in ten years with up to 3,800 soldiers on the streets because another terror attack could be imminent .
The frantic family of missing Scots teen Eilidh MacLeod3 are continuing their desperate search for her following the attack. The 14-year-old had travelled to see pop star Ariana Grande with pal Laura MacIntyre4, 15, when horror struck on Monday night. The pair had made the long trip south from Barra to see their favourite singer.
Laura s relatives received news last night that the teenager had been found alive in hospital and is being treated for serious burns.5
Police Scotland announced this morning there would be increased security at sites across Scotland. Chief Constable Phil Gormley said: My thoughts and those of everyone at Police Scotland continue to be with those who have lost loved ones or who were injured in the attack in Manchester.
With the threat level now at Critical, we have now established a multi-agency co-ordination centre to lead and co-ordinate the response across the country along with key partners.
Police Scotland will be increasing our operations to protect the people of Scotland, our businesses and public places.
This may include a range of options aimed at increasing security at these sites, reassuring residents, businesses, workers and visitors so they can go about their daily lives as normally as possible.
Yesterday morning, we increased the number of armed police on patrol at key locations and the public should expect to see armed officers on foot patrol.
We are reviewing all significant events along with event organisers taking place within the next 14 days and will increase the security footprint around those events where it is deemed appropriate.
We have well-rehearsed plans to respond to major incidents and we will be continuing to work with our partners to address the current heightened threat.
However, there is no intelligence to suggest there is any specific threat to Scotland but I would ask the public to remain alert and report anything suspicious.
SEARCH FOR EILIDH
SCOTS CAUGHT IN TERROR
‘Cowardice has a face’
COUNSELLING FOR KIDS
HARD TO SWALLOW
WE WON’T BACK DOWN
SCOTLAND TERROR REVIEW
ARMED POLICE ON ALERT
ARMED COPS ONLY
However troops will not be deployed imminently in Scotland6 following the Manchester terror attack despite nearly 1000 soldiers being scrambled down south.
Police Scotland chiefs have declined to follow suit after Theresa May said the Army could be sent to concerts and sports matches .
World unites in solidarity with Manchester after Salman Abedi terror attack at Ariana Grande gig
We pay for your stories and videos ! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun Online ?
Email us at
- ^ nail bombed by terrorist Salman Abedi (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ unmasked (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ missing Scots teen Eilidh MacLeod (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ pal Laura MacIntyre (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ last night that the teenager had been found alive in hospital and is being treated for serious burns. (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
- ^ troops will not be deployed imminently in Scotland (www.thescottishsun.co.uk)
Last Updated: 23/05/17 2:27pm
Wembley will have enhanced security for Saturday’s FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea
The Football Association says “enhanced security” will be in place at the FA Cup final in the wake of Monday’s Manchester attack. A terrorist attack at the end of a concert at the Manchester Arena on Monday night left 22 people dead and 59 injured. And sporting organisations including the FA, the EFL and the International Cricket Council have sought to reassure supporters due to attend upcoming games. The victims of the attack will be remembered at Saturday’s final between Arsenal and Chelsea, and fans have been told to expect extra security checks at Wembley.
“Fan safety is of paramount importance and we have robust security measures in place at Wembley Stadium,” an FA statement read. “In collaboration with the Metropolitan Police and the local authorities there will be an enhanced security operation for all upcoming events. “All supporters are encouraged to arrive for events at Wembley Stadium as early as possible for security checks and to avoid any delays in entering the stadium.”
Wembley also hosts the League Two and Championship play-off finals on Sunday and Monday, and an EFL statement read: “Whilst there have been no specific threats in this country, our Security Advisor will be liaising with Wembley Stadium, the National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO) and the Metropolitan Police to ensure the arrangements in place provide a safe and secure environment for all supporters attending this weekend’s play-off matches. “The safety of fans remains our highest priority . The EFL takes security issues extremely seriously and we would urge all supporters planning to be at Wembley Stadium to be vigilant of their surroundings at all times, stay alert and not be alarmed.”
Manchester United held a minute’s silence for the victims and those injured in the Manchester attacks
Manchester United held a minute’s silence for the victims as they prepared to fly out for Wednesday’s Europa League final in Stockholm, where stringent security measures are in place1. The ICC, meanwhile, says security is the “highest priority” ahead of its Champions Trophy and Women’s World Cup tournaments in England. “We operate on advice from our Tournament Security Directorate – in conjunction with the ECB and relevant authorities – to ensure that we have a robust safety and security plan for both tournaments,” a statement read. “We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels.
“The security situation has been very much front and centre of our preparations and we constantly review our procedures to guarantee they are as effective as possible to keep everyone safe.”
Manchester’s Arndale Centre has been evacuated, with people seen running away screaming and witnesses saying a man was arrested by armed police.
“Security guards and police who were armed shouted at people to get away,” said Sky’s Mike McCarthy, at the scene. “At least 100 people came round the corner – many of them screaming and trying to get away.” Some people fell over in the rush to get away and police with sniffer dogs went inside the shopping centre, said McCarthy. Police said they do not think it was related to the incident at Manchester Arena and the centre has now reopened.
Image: Some people were in tears as the shopping centre was evacuated
The evacuation happened around 12 hours after a bomb attack killed 22 people at a concert at the arena.1 :: Live updates – Manchester attack2 Extra armed police are on UK streets after the attack, with a high state of alert seeing a suspicious item blown up in Manchester in the early hours.
Image: People leave the Arndale Centre after it was evacuated
A controlled explosion took place just after 1.30am in Cathedral Gardens, near the site of the attack, but it later turned out to be a pile of abandoned clothing.
:: Security services think they know who bomber is3 Another suspicious item sparked an evacuation of London’s Victoria coach station around 6.40am. Passengers were moved to the end of the street as the area was cordoned off and buses diverted . However, the alert was called off shortly after 8am.
Image: Cars arriving at Manchester United’s training ground were also searched
Manchester United players arriving at the team’s Carrington training ground have also had their cars searched. Security staff used mirrors to check underneath vehicles and opened up the boots. The team are getting set for Wednesday’s Europa League final against Ajax in Stockholm.
A “mix of armed and unarmed officers” were called up for the rush hour in London, with Met Police chief Cressida Dick saying they would “continue for as long as is needed”. Police Scotland said more armed officers would be at “transport hubs and crowded places”. Policing in crowded places is also being reviewed in the West Midlands, Norfolk, Suffolk, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Essex. Extra armed officers were called up in London and other cities after the Westminster attack in March and the Berlin attack in December. The threat from international terrorism in the UK remains “severe” – as it has been since August 2014 – meaning an attack is highly likely.
- ^ bomb attack killed 22 people at a concert at the arena. (news.sky.com)
- ^ Live updates – Manchester attack (news.sky.com)
- ^ Security services think they know who bomber is (news.sky.com)
- ^ Manchester Arena witness: ‘It was absolute carnage’ (news.sky.com)