Reference Library – Security Jobs
Some experts predict there will be a global shortage of two million cyber security professionals by 2019.
Behind every new hack or data breach, there s a company scrambling to put out the fire . That s good news for job seekers with cyber security skills . Employers can t hire them fast enough.
The ISACA, a non-profit information security advocacy group, predicts there will be a global shortage of two million cyber security professionals by 2019 . Every year in the U.S., 40,000 jobs for information security analysts go unfilled, and employers are struggling to fill 200,000 other cyber-security related roles, according to cyber security data tool CyberSeek . And for every ten cyber security job ads that appear on careers site Indeed3, only seven people even click on one of the ads, let alone apply. 12
It s easy to see why these jobs are in demand . I know I ve lost count of major data breaches, and the stakes for companies are high. Recent research by Cisco showed that 29% of breached organizations lost revenue . And breaches can impact companies of all types, from large corporations to small hospitals . On the black market, health care records reportedly sell for $5 apiece. 456
One of the most in-demand cyber security roles is security analyst, says Bill Bonifacic, who leads the cyber security practice at staffing firm Bluestone Recruiting . Security analysts work to prevent and mitigate breaches on the ground .
Another hot job is security manager, says Bonifacic . Security managers develop and implement overarching processes to keep information private .
Often you ll need a professional certification to be considered for such a role, like a CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) or CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional).
Compensation for the most senior roles in cyber security, like chief information security officer, can reach $400,000, says Bonifacic . Cyber security jobs commanded a $6,500 premium over other IT jobs in a 2015 study by analytics firm Burning Glass. 10
If you re interested in a cyber security career, where should you look ? Large health care, financial and global manufacturing firms need armies of cyber security professionals, according to Bonifacic, as do professional services firms like Deloitte and EY.
And what type of experience stands out on a resume ?
If you re coming from a large company that hasn t been in the news for a data breach, that bodes well . Abbott, a health care firm with 75,000 employees that makes medical devices and pharmaceuticals, falls into this category . Bonifacic says, If you were running security at Abbott, you re going to do very well.
- ^ two million (image-store.slidesharecdn.com)
- ^ CyberSeek (cyberseek.org)
- ^ Indeed (www.indeed.com)
- ^ major data breaches (www.informationisbeautiful.net)
- ^ Recent research (b2me.cisco.com)
- ^ sell for $5 (www.wsbtv.com)
- ^ Bluestone Recruiting (bluestonerecruiting.com)
- ^ 72,670 (www.bls.gov)
- ^ 88,880 (www.bls.gov)
- ^ $6,500 premium (burning-glass.com)
- ^ @JeffKauflin (www.twitter.com)
BBC Radio 1 s Big Weekend will see the likes of Little Mix, Katy Perry and Kings of Leon perform at Burton Constable Hall in Hull over the May Bank Holiday weekend. It is one of the first big music events of the summer where you could be a part of our team for this star-studded occasion on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th May. As one of the United Kingdom s leading providers of crowd management and event security services in the music festival world, we have many fantastic opportunities to work other major events nationwide; from Parklife in Manchester up to Belladrum in Inverness as well as multiple events in Leeds such as Leeds Triathlon, Leeds Skyride, Leeds 10k to name a few. If you are interested in being a part of what promises to be another memorable summer, then APPLY NOW to join the Showsec team. SIA Event Security The hours of work available are varied and flexible. You will form an essential part of the festival and event safety management team, controlling entry and maintaining good order whilst being aware of and ensuring the absolute care, comfort and well-being of a range of audiences.
We strive to achieve a high level of customer care, to ensure all customers receive a good experience and service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening a person s suitability to enter the event or venue
- Responding to incidents within crowds, queues or the audience to control behaviour which is antisocial, undesirable or likely to result in harm to others
- Providing a security presence to prevent and detect crime within a designated area
- Guarding a property and/or equipment in site during the setup and breaking down of, for example, an event or exhibition
- Patrolling the perimeter of an event to prevent unauthorised entry gained by individuals
If you are interested in working in an SIA Event Security role with Showsec, then find out more by taking a look at our video HERE
Please Note: You must be the holder of a current SIA Licence (Door Supervisor/Close Protection) for this role.
Continue reading here: SIA Event Security, Hull
There has been a recent increase in adverts for fictitious security companies who advertise security jobs, and then ask for training or licensing fees to be paid in advance. These fraudsters ask for payment to an anonymous money transfer account and then become uncontactable once the payment is made. The individuals posing as these fake companies may advertise on job websites or they may email potential candidates directly.
When considering any job advertisement you are not entirely comfortable with you should check that the company is a legitimate security company before any payment is made. Consider the following: –
- Does the company have a website detailing their business?
- Is the address provided a genuine address?
- Are the contact details provided for a company email or a personal email address?
- Are the company asking for payment by an anonymous money transfer?
- Are the company registered on the Companies House website?
If you suspect a security company may not be genuine you should not make any payments up front. Reducing criminality in the private security industry is a big part of why we exist.
Please report any illegal activity via our website or by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. If you are the victim of fraud you should contact your local police force.
- The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry in the United Kingdom, reporting to the Home Secretary under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001. The SIA’s main duties are: the compulsory licensing of individuals undertaking designated activities; and managing the voluntary Approved Contractor Scheme.
- For further information about the Security Industry Authority or to sign up for email updates visit www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk.