Reference Library – England – Nottinghamshire
An anonymous tip-off that an acid throwing attack was being planned at Nottingham’s Caribbean Carnival1 was behind increased security at the event. After a police tip-off, the organisers of the event on Sunday (August 20) took measures to tighten security around food and drink being brought into the area. The decision not to allow anyone to bring any food or drink into the carnival meant extra queues for people attending, but the event ultimately passed off peacefully.
A statement was released following the carnival by the organisers explaining the situation, which said: “We are very aware of the difficulties people faced on entering the site and we want to apologise for the inconvenience caused.
“However, the police did inform us just before the start of the event that information had come to their attention that an acid attack was being planned at the carnival . This meant that security had to be much tighter around food and drink . Acid can come in many forms, not just a liquid, and this was the reason for the thoroughness of the searches.
(Image: Rachel Gorman)
“We shared the fact that food and drink was no longer allowed, via our social media, as soon as we could . We acted to keep the public safe and we were successful in this aim.
“Nonetheless, people had to queue for too long and were rightly upset to not be allowed entry with food . We are sincerely sorry to everyone affected – especially those with young children . We know how frustrating this was for you and take full responsibility for the upset this caused.”
A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said: “Nottinghamshire Police received information from an anonymous source about the Caribbean Carnival.
“The information was uncorroborated, extremely vague and did not relate to the event’s location, as such it was not considered an immediate threat to the event.
(Image: Rachel Gorman)
“As a precaution, the event organisers were made aware of the information and they took the decision to stop people taking liquids into the event.
“Officers working during the event were also briefed to be vigilant to any suspicious activity.
“The event went ahead without any incident of this nature occurring . The Caribbean Carnival is an important event in Nottingham s multi-cultural calendar and the police have worked very hard providing advice to the event organisers to ensure that the carnival is safe for all to attend.
“Officers had a very enjoyable time at the event interacting with the carnival-goers and supporting the security on site.”
The beefed-up security was not the only hitch on the day . Musician Horace Andy had been due to play but had been too unwell to make his flight from Jamaica to attend. But overall, organisers hailed the event a success.
A spokesman said: “The parade was well received and those who witnessed it on the route got into the carnival vibe; the site layout within the park was much improved; the weather behaved itself until the last 20 minutes and finally the volunteers rallied round to best address the challenges that we faced.
“Thank you so much for supporting the Nottingham Carnival 2017.”
A city student must pay 50 compensation to a McDonald’s security guard for shouting racist abuse at him.
Magistrates1 imposed the order on Jouffrey Onkani after hearing that he caused problems on the only night he had ever got drunk. He had denied racially aggravated disorderly conduct2 at the Angel Row restaurant at 3.50am on May 4 . But he was found guilty after a trial and was ordered to do 60 hours unpaid work. Anna Pierrepont, prosecuting, said Onkani entered the premises carrying a bottle and was challenged by security staff because this was in breach of a “no glass” policy.
Onkani, 21, made a racist comment and left the guard “clearly concerned for his safety” . When Onkani swung round, a guard ducked out of the way and another security officer grabbed the bottle. When the guard was asked about the effect of the racist abuse aimed at him, he excused Onkani, who is a criminology student at Nottingham Trent University3. Miss Pierrepont added: “He said that he did not consider it to be a hate incident but a drunken one, rather than racial.”
Jameel Malik, defending, said Onkani had never tried alcohol until that night and was ashamed at the episode.
“He didn’t feel drunk and did not think it had any effect on him .
It was in the fresh air where he started to feel he was drunk.
“He had never been drunk before and this incident was fuelled with alcohol,” said Mr Malik . Onkani’s home address was given as Aldgate Grove, Birmingham.
“When shown the CCTV, he put his head in his hands and was very remorseful,” said Mr Malik . He told the court that Onkani is a role model to his younger sisters and has just passed his second year examinations.
He said that Onkani called a white security man “fat” and said the police were “racist” when they arrived. Mr Malik added: “This is not a hate crime, not aggravated by racism . He didn’t target the security guards because they were black.
“This incident is a blip, out of character .
He had never been drunk before, he is ashamed and embarrassed and stands in front of you with his liberty at risk.”
Presiding magistrate Kathryn Allsop told Onkani: “Just a warning – please don’t get drunk again.” He was ordered to pay 200 prosecution costs.
Emergency changes were being made to MPs’ IT system yesterday after a “cyber security incident”. A high-importance email was sent out by Parliamentary officials warning MPs to remain extra vigilant and look out for suspicious emails or activity . The email, sent just after lunchtime, said: “We are currently investigating a cyber security incident.
“We are going to be making some emergency changes to the IT network which may cause some disruption.”
The email was sent hours after reports that British politicians’ passwords had been traded by Russian hackers.
The Times reported that 1,000 Parliamentary workers’ logins were traded (Photo: Moment RF)
The Times claimed 1,000 MPs and parliamentary staff, 7,000 police employees and more than 1,000 Foreign Office staff were in the troves sold or swapped on Russian-speaking hacking sites. Cabinet ministers including Education Secretary Justine Greening and Business Secretary Greg Clark were said to be among the haul. However, a House of Commons spokesman would not confirm whether or not the probe was related to The Times’ report.
Officials also declined to say how many email accounts were affected, when the incident occurred or what it was. The spokesman said: The Houses of Parliament are currently investigating a cyber security incident.
“Like all responsible organisations we have to respond to constantly evolving threats . We have systems in place to protect member and staff accounts and to prevent unauthorised access to information .
We are working to investigate the incident and will be taking the necessary steps to protect our systems.