Reference Library – England – Lancashire
A security guard was injured in another early morning raid on a bank in Salford. It was the second bank robbery in twelve days in the city in which criminals appeared to know exactly what time to strike as cash was being delivered or collected. Two men ambushed the guard at the Royal Bank of Scotland on Mather Way at the city s shopping centre in Pendleton.
They struck at 7.10am on Tuesday and were armed with a crow bar. The pair escaped in a blue car with a substantial amount of cash.
The Royal Bank of Scotland on Mather Way
Today a notice was posted outside the branch saying it was closed until further notice. On September 7, gunmen escaped with more than 100,000 in a terrifying raid on the Santander branch at Ellesmere Shopping Centre in Walkden.
In that incident a security guard for G4S was forced to lie on the floor during the robbery and had a pistol pressed into their back. Three masked men tailgated a guard as he entered the bank and pushed their way in.
Armed with a handgun and machete the gang walked into the bank just before 1.20am. Two members of staff were threatened – with one of the victims was forced to lie on the floor at gunpoint.
The trio fled in a distinctive getaway car – a red Mini Cooper which was later recovered in the area.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 – or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Passengers are reportedly being kept on their flights due to the incident. A spokesperson for the airport said that it was a police incident.
ECHO reporter Jenny Kirkham is currently on her way to the airport and w e’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story. For the latest news and breaking news visit http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/.
Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Security at Wigan market hall will be increased after yobs caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage to traders stock. Wigan Council has said it has listened to stallholders concerns following an incident last month and has allocated more security staff to cover the busy summer period. Staff at Wigan Sofa Centre were disgusted to find that a group of teens had vandalised a trade stand just minutes after employees left. Outraged, they contacted police but were told that the crime was not a policing priority and that the investigation would not be taken any further. A letter addressed to Janet Ryding, who works at the furniture store, said: We are pro-actively looking to provide protection against child sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, hate crime, high-risk missing from homes, serious sexual offences, critical anti-social behaviour, vulnerability protection, mental health incidents and significantly impactive crimes on victims such as burglary dwelling. This crime would appear to require disproportionate resources to conclude and impacts on ability to investigate other priority crime. Janet said many traders feel they are not safe at work.
The abuse is constant, she said . The costings of retail are hard enough to manage without this . It s becoming a nightmare.
James Morely, another market worker, added: Kids are unchecked, little to no security and what security there is can only do so much. After numerous complaints, the council has said that any extra security will be asked to tighten up safety in the hall. Karl Battersby, director for economy and environment, said: The acts of a small minority of vandals is deeply upsetting for the stallholders at Wigan Market who are trying to run their own business and supporting our local economy.
Wigan Market works in partnership with The Galleries to provide on-site security and during key times throughout the year such as summer holidays and Christmas additional security is brought in as additional support.
We are always listening to our stallholders and the extra security has been tasked to cover areas of concern they have raised with us as part of this pre-arranged additional cover.